idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I've just completed this kit. Very nice to assemble. There were several prototypes halts like this on the northern part of the Rugen narrow gauge lines. Picture below.

IMG_20180610_104038.jpg

My question is this. There are some signs supplied with the kit which aren't pictured or described in the kit documentation. One is obviously a station name sign, but what is the other supposed to be (picture below)? If anyone knows and preferably has a picture of a prototype I'd be grateful. Thanks, Dave

IMG_20180609_194251.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting...

I could just use one of those. A plan formeth....;)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I see no reason why the Bus Stop Sign can not be used as a Halt on your line with just a small section of platform. Sure I have seen this on one of the East German Narrow Gauge Lines.

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ordered one of these kits from TopSlots this morning, I have to say it is rather nice. Not sure where I will put it as yet!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So I have started my build on the kit so I hope you do not mind me hijacking your thread with my thoughts on this great kit.

First a little bit of research! The Station Hemmerstein is on a short Standard Gauge Branch line near Basle called the Kandertalbahn which looks to either be preserved or have lots of fan trains at weekends. This massive link gives lots of pictures one of first which shows the Station Name, I have trawled through the lot but no pictures of the Building for Hammestein Bhf. Typical,.

pictures of kandertalbahn - Google Search

I link here a you tube vid of the line hauled by what apears to be either a Swiss or Austrian Locomotive. Interestingly the GreenBrown Vehicle at the rear has an open balcony on the side of the Green Part, 1 side only. Looks to be an interesting line that I will have to investigate visiting in the future. There are 3 or 4 clips in the Hammerstein Area but none showing the building, probably to be expected by the average Video Making Chuffer Nuts that are nut interested in much else. However the Vid is well produced and shows the delightful Countryside in the area very well.

My build thoughts. I think that the kit is lacking for not having Instructions that show the Moulded Parts on their Sprues, this I always find a great help in building. But to be honest I would not let that put you off, it really is a great little building. I do tend to follow the instructions and all parts are cleaned up of sprue ends as detached from the sprue. Just the parts for that bit of work. Also worthwhile to lightly sand where joints are to be glued, a useful tip from Stockers after one of my other kits returned to a kit!

As this will be relocated to East Germany a Country not renowned for its maintenance I have pre rusted some of the parts as and during the build. Here you can see the main body of the building with windows inserted recieving the Casey Treatment. How I do it is to squeese and tease Wire Wool to remove small bits of the wool onto pre sprayed with vinegar Corrugated Iron Plastic. I use a small mister rom a chemist for the spraying, at a quid a pop worth having a few for all sorts of small sundry spraying jobs, but not paint. You can see that there are some large blobs near bases of the parts, this is dew from being left over night. Currently drying off in the Shed.image.jpegimage.jpeg
Here you can see that I have started pre constructiiin of some other parts, of note is the Chimney supported whilst it dries into the base that will be attached to the rear of the Office. This may get some rust treatment as well. Also the seat shown upside down with some Plasticard to help strengthen the joints. There would appear to be a Seat Section spare in the kit the same as the one to the left.
image.jpeg
I have distressed a couple of the Windows as well,mthis one has a couple of cracks scored in with a craft knife.
image.jpeg
While this ine has a piece cut out to represent slightly more serious vandalism. Yes in old East Germanybthere was an element of vandalism present, the population in General hated their incaseration by the Ruskies.
image.jpeg
I am going to see if I can find any 80's political slogans to daub on the inside of the Building. Another little reminder of those bad old days of the East that so captured my Model Railway Inspiration.

Reactions: 3 users

65 1057

9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
I hope I can help:
Advertising for the state-owned fuel supply stations: The "Minol Pirol" (oriole) minol-pirol.de
Means more or less: "The smart man listens to the advise - who refuels on Fridays, he knows the stuff"

"Vorbildliches Anwesen" ("Exemplary public estate") https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Vorbildliches_Anwesen.jpg

... and the standard speach: (DDR Plakat Poster Qualität ist Ehrensache Gute Arbeit lohnt sich 57x81 cm | eBay)

"From every Pound - from every working hour - from every gramm of material - a higher Performance" :sick:

And from the VERY early days:
"The plan is law. His fulfillment is mandatory. His overfulfillment is our honor!"
Fünfjahresplan – Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice detailing, Jon. I especially like the broken window.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely looking model, looks generic enough even for some English lines. Marvelous modelling too

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Not really hijacking Jon a you have stayed on topic. You have done a lot more weathering than me, I just dusted with some rust coloured weathering powder all over and black around the bottom edges and around door and window frames. I like the idea of East German propaganda posters. Ton Pruissen's films often showed such posters and daubings with ironic commentary.

And a few of my windows are cracked due to real accidents cutting them out.

Last edited:

65 1057

9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
An alternative to political slogans can be this ORWO advertising.
Please don't ask me what the chimney sweeper has to to with the rest of the clique...

1531214901101.png

Or this friendly advise: "Folks- drink! The brewery needs empty barrels"
1531215264337.png

65 1057

9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
And my favourite (Original piece of Brünkendorf station @ Pollo):
"Attention travellers! Half an hour before or after the announced departure is considered to be as punctual"

1531215849821.png

A nice addition to the station can also be the omnipresent TRANSPORTPOLIZEI ("TraPo"). Prignitzer Kleinbahnmuseum Lindenberg e. V. | Galerie
Nowadays you can rent this Police crew incl. the original Wartburg car etc.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
And my favourite (Original piece of Brünkendorf station @ Pollo):
"Attention travellers! Half an hour before or after the announced departure is considered to be as punctual"

View attachment 240395
I'm sure Southern commuters would be quite pleased with that standard of punctuality, although the half hour early would be unthinkable :)

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Dunny great video, and rust!

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Best answers
Country flag
An alternative to political slogans can be this ORWO advertising.
Please don't ask me what the chimney sweeper has to to with the rest of the clique...

View attachment 240393

Or this friendly advise: "Folks- drink! The brewery needs empty barrels"
View attachment 240394
Aren’t chimney sweeps supposed to bring good luck at weddings? I assume the ad is promoting using Orwo film for wedding photography. Not sure that the Wartburg would be the most reliable wedding car. :D

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Work on my kit is has now been completed so a final post to show the effects. But a few pointers to building these and any other G Scale Kits.

- Remove parts from the Sprue with care, it is easy to damage the parts by just bending them off. I prefer to cut with either a craft knife or razor saw. Clean the parts up after with a fine file or sandpaper.

- Always worthwhile to remove any other surplus moulding lines or pips as described above.

- Joints, clean these up where the glue will go, quite likely some kits have a sort of residue that discourages proper joins using glue.

- Use an appropriate glue, I normally use Builders Pipeweld but for this kit have used UHU Power.

- Use enough but not too much glue, it is best to ensure that the complete surface being glued has sufficient covering to make a good join. Any access that smears out should be removed quickly with a screwdriver, coffee stirer or cocktail stick as apropriate.

- Follow the instructions in the correct order, it is also worthwhile to mark off the parts and instruction set of the instruction leaflet as you use/do them. After all you may not get back to the kit for a few days if you are busy doing other things.

- Do not worry too much if parts are left over, check your marked instructions it is likely that they are spare parts as the sprue may be used in other kits.

Sorry if some of this sounds like teaching granny etc, but there are I am sure some newcommers that will find these notes of use.

The next couple of pictures show additional rusting being carried out, the wood blocks are to support the glued ends. The setsquare is helping the Plastic Detail set in place while the glue dries.image.jpegimage.jpeg
I needed a platform for the Station to sit on, so a piece of 2mm Plastic Glazing Material was cut to shape, sanded rough then sprayed with cheepo Gloss Black. Whilst still wet this was covered with Silica Dried Sand. When this had dried the excess was knocked off and followed by another coat of the Gloss Black. Finally a coat of Matt Black and a loose spray of Brown to tone things down a bit.image.jpegimage.jpegNext I caried on with the build using some Plasticard to strengthen the joints in the seats. The Set Square is to keep the Seat Supports in place at the edge of the seat bottoms other than the one the fits by the wooden detailing inside the building..image.jpeg Here I have glued the detail to the ends using Clamps to hold in place while the glue dries.image.jpeg. All the inside detail has now been added, nearly time for the roof.
image.jpeg
But next it is time to make more surface area for the Station to sit. This HIPS was recovered from a friends skip, amazing what gets chucked out. I cut it to fit between the Railway and the Fence, screwing a plank for it to sit on next to the fence, the additional base has not been screwed to the fence as that is not a good plan.image.jpegimage.jpeg
Next was to detail up the area with Ballast and some Astro Turf to give a bit of interest, always difficult to get things looking good next to a fence, one can only do so much. The clingfilm is to stop scatter detail from glueing the Building permanently the the Platform. But I did want an edge to the building rather than a gaping gap. 4 nails have been mounted in the Platform from below to hold the Building in place, cutting off the sharpe pointy bits if course.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
A couple of pictures if the real Osterteich that I am using this building to represent. As you can see a Garden Shed would have been more appropriate but I like to pamper my Customers a little. The real Station is but a short 1.5k out of Gernrode. Mine is on my 0.3K marker, suitably close to my Gernrode I think you will agree. This picture is of the only time in tens of visits to the line that I have ever stopped here.image.jpegimage.jpeg3 final pictures if the completed project with my Sticky Paper name board on the sign. The sign bottom parts were drilled through so that the post could pass through into a couple of holes in the Platform. The Astro Turf has been bent up to the fence but not glued in a vain attempt to represent the banking behind the real Halt.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg. Finaly finaly the Bus Stop sign has been used at the next halt down the line.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    508.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Looks fantastic, especially the rust effect.

I had one of these buildings on my garden railway. There was no room for it on the new indoor version, but I needed a hut. By sawing off the open bit with the seat, you are left with a nice lineside hut.