New Pola Station Building replaces Piko one at Magdesprung EDIT SOME REPAIRS after 2 years outside.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My original Magdesprung Station Building was a Piko Muhldorf 62029. As can be seen below it was not the best at even begining to replicate the Prototype and indeed had very little presence, something that you could not accuse the Real Thing of having. The one thing that was right about the old Piko Joby is the two part building, something that the Pola Kit does not have.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I saw and rather liked the look of the Pola Schoneeiller Station 330901 so resolved to get one at some stage. Yes it is not right, but more in keeping I feel.
image.jpeg
However me being me I decided to look on Ebay and found a few, I looked at the best priced BIN ones feedback. This looked good so dived in. 3 days later the kit arrived (yesterday) and has been built today. There are still some jobs to be completed but it is in place and looking good.

First job of installation was to remove and revise the patented Dunnyrail Building Holding System for the new Station Building, seen are the 2 Strips Ally Angle still in place for the Piko Kit.
image.jpeg
I wanted the Pola one to be hard up against the Goods Shed as in the prototype so the Holding System was moved and one piece had to be shortened a bit. The Goods Shed Roof will have to be modified somewhat at one end. Here with Test Fit after redrilling for new screw holes and rawplugs into the Paving Slab below the HIPS Platform. Note the inside liberaly coated with Silicone on the joints. Something that I now do on all my Piko and Pola Kits.
image.jpeg
Here the upper storey has just recieved its HIPS Roofing Story Floor. There will be one below this for the Ground Floor as well.
image.jpeg
The Goods Shed has Roof been been cut and the new Building fits nice and snug.
image.jpeg
Side view of the Building in place. I have not glued the Top Story or Roof in place, prefering to use Pins to hold them in Place via drilled holes. This is the same method that I use to hold the Station in place to my Ally Angle down below.
image.jpeg
Front view of the Building in place. I rather think that this Pola Kit has much more presence than the old one. Yes there are many differences, but it is more livable with.
image.jpeg
Above pics taken around 2040 so work finished for the day. There are still a few jobs to do, the Front Roof will be going in place. I rather like this though the prototype did have one not in recent memory. The earliest dated Picture I can find is 1946 which does not show one. But other Stations did so as I am not too fussy about these things I will use the Roof. I also need to put in a Tin Plate Strip to take the removable nameboard. The Scrap Cars behind the Station will also need to find a new home as the Area will be required by Customers Cars to access the Station.

I did another Mod to the kit iin that I placed the Telegraph Isolators both at the front, illustrating that the Pole Lines from each direction went via the Station Masters Office.

I will not be putting in the Shutters or Flower Baskets. The old East Germany of my Period being very Utilitarian rarely had Flower Baskets. Roll down shutters might be appropriate, my 1946 is not distinct enough to my eyes. But Alexisbad did have Roll Downs on my 1981 visit.

The old Piko Kit has been placed in the Summer House and will act as Lindenburg Station. Nothing like the original or even in the right place. But the only place it will go for now or the likely future.
image.jpeg
More pics to come when I complete the job.
JonD

Reactions: 4 users

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
The new station building certainly has more presence. However I rather like the more rustic look of the old building.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Great. and I think your right about not using the shutters and baskets. You can see more wood which looks more like Magdesprung.

Reactions: 1 user

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I always found the Pola models to be bigger and therefore closer to 1:22.5 and Piko a tad too small at about 1:24. Pola certainly won hands down on the thickness of the plastic and build quality.
Grand job :clap:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I agree, the Pola kits are robust as far as wall thickness is concerned. They last for years outdoors. I'm happy to see that you also use silicone on your joints.

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
I'm busy building a mixture of both Piko and Pola kits and have a quick question - what do you do with the doors - do you leave them so tey will open or glue them shut?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
In my last post I mentioned that I had decided that as some of the DR Harz Buildings had Canopiesand that I was going to install the one included with the Pola Kit. Here is an earlyish Pic of Eisenfelder Tamhule showing just such a Canopy.
image.jpeg
So the canopy has been installed, some subtle weathering carried out with a bit of Flock To represent Moss on the Roof. One thing I forgot to mention on the Build was that I had drilled holes in the Drainpipes. Not easily noticed but it keeps me happy. The Gutters and Drainpipes have been dry brushed to represent some rust. Maintenance was not a strong point in the former East Germany.image.jpeg image.jpeg
Cars and misc bits have been moved around so as not to clutter the rear of the Larger Footprint Building. The Magnetic Name Board has been installed on a piece of Black Painted Tinplate.image.jpeg
Finally a pic showing it from a distance, I wish I had taken a pic before weathering, the white really did grate from this vantage point. Now it just merges into the landscape.image.jpeg
Next step will be to try to get the area to the right looking of the Station above a bit like Magdesprung Village and Industrial Area. Some Postman Pat Buildings have been aquired for just that purpose with varying other odd Buildings that I have kicking about.
image.jpeg
I feeel another thread on the boil, though I have already started the Postman Pat thing.
JonD

Reactions: 3 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Another rather nice Harz station (Strassberg) has just gone up on eBay.de by the same chap who made my Ilfeld model.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HSB-Bahnh...987774?hash=item464e47047e:g:vsAAAOSwfC9XPbPk

He also has a lovely Hasselfelde model currently available, and a much smaller Austrian station (Moosbach).
Not cheap, but in my experience he will accept reasonable offers for his buy-it-now items (from memory I think I got mine for an offer of about 80% of the BIN price) and they are really beautifully made!

Jon.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I'm busy building a mixture of both Piko and Pola kits and have a quick question - what do you do with the doors - do you leave them so tey will open or glue them shut?

I used to leave the doors free swinging in the beginning years. But that leaves them prone to damage and is an invitation to critters looking for a home. Now I use tape on the inside to keep them closed. This way, I can always restore them to operational status.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Another rather nice Harz station (Strassberg) has just gone up on eBay.de by the same chap who made my Ilfeld model.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HSB-Bahnh...987774?hash=item464e47047e:g:vsAAAOSwfC9XPbPk

He also has a lovely Hasselfelde model currently available, and a much smaller Austrian station (Moosbach).
Not cheap, but in my experience he will accept reasonable offers for his buy-it-now items (from memory I think I got mine for an offer of about 80% of the BIN price) and they are really beautifully made!

Jon.
Lovely looking Job, but I believe that they are not really suitable for 24/7/365 Garden use. I just hate having to bring things indoors. Bad enough at the end of an Operating Day having to bring the Wagons into the Shed! Lazy old git that I am.

Thanks for the link though, bet he will someday do Magdesprung. Then I will have a heart wrenching problem!
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I used to leave the doors free swinging in the beginning years. But that leaves them prone to damage and is an invitation to critters looking for a home. Now I use tape on the inside to keep them closed. This way, I can always restore them to operational status.
I did wonder about the doors as they are very free swinging. May just Glue them closed. I think that opening doors (except for an Engine Shed) are a bit of a gimic. Unless of course you have Borrowers living in your Garden.
JonD

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Just a thought Jon but if you added a second storey to the original and replaced the door with a window it would actually be quite close ;)
I have similar ideas with the HOm Harz but fortunately a lot more kits to choose from and find close enough matches.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Just a thought Jon but if you added a second storey to the original and replaced the door with a window it would actually be quite close ;)
I have similar ideas with the HOm Harz but fortunately a lot more kits to choose from and find close enough matches.
Dratt he is right, now where is that Chain Saw! Thanks a bunch Paul.

You doing GRS thing at Didcot?
JonD

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely looking Job, but I believe that they are not really suitable for 24/7/365 Garden use. I just hate having to bring things indoors. Bad enough at the end of an Operating Day having to bring the Wagons into the Shed! Lazy old git that I am.

Thanks for the link though, bet he will someday do Magdesprung. Then I will have a heart wrenching problem!
JonD

Yes, I appreciate the hassle of bringing a large building in between sessions - though I will have to do that anyway with ALL my buildings; not because of the elements, but due to the eight-legged demolition crew that have free run of the garden (aka two mini schnauzers). Herr Kossow DOES state that the buildings are fully weatherproof, and they are sufficiently well constructed and varnished to be fine left out through the "operating" months of the year, I reckon - I just wouldn't subject them to the worst excesses of winter....
He's done many of the Harz network stations, and if he hasn't done Magdesprung yet then I'm sure he would do so if asked..... :devil:

Jon.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
No Jon, wasn't aware of anything at Didcot ;)
Working the next three weekends too ;)
Oh sorry Paul, was a German Railway Society do, met Doug there and had a couple of Beers after. Got a superb book of Wiene Steam trams that made the trip triply worth while.

Maybe next year.
JonD

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great. So much more appealing, comparisons to prototype aside.

Couple of things re glue and doors.
Tape or doll house wax fixative will keeps doors shut. Advisable in keeping out critters and debris.

For years i used pola or styrene cement. Over many years in the sun and cold it seems to fail, likely by breaking the joint.

I now, and for at least 7-8 years or more, use a fabric glue, Quick Grip, which is basically a flexible and strong glue. Yet, allows for positioning, knocks and temperature trauma, and best, with a lot of strong steady pull, can be pulled apart. This type of glue allows delicate and exposed bits, like lightening points, telephone antenna, and anything else that protrudes and gets hit to not crack the joint or the piece. Also, while tenacious, it can be completely pulled/peeled off with forceps or pliers. Plus it allows fitting, yet sets up in about fifteen sceonds, so you dont have to hold pieces that are fighting gravity.

I use styrene glue, but much less frequently as i take my buildings in and out too. In some applications the liquid Tamaya is superb.

Last edited:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the thanks dunny!