Pola 330920 small coaling station, or...

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I'm curious to know if anyone has one of these little coaling stations from Pola and if so, what they think of them?

I'm trying to decide whether to take the easy option and go this route or follow ge_riks excellent coal bin scratch-building examples...

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I was considering this structure at one time, but then I saw one on a layout at a train show and it looked very small to me. Hopes this helps.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Looked years ago when Pola came out with their silverton one that was extra large and pricy, then found a Lionel O scale one listed as G but was O adjusted it and changed with new railings and stairs + added height and girth placing it on top of a building, happy with the results, Bill

Attachments

• coal orginal.PNG
    coal orginal.PNG
    953.7 KB · Views: 0
  • coal in progress.JPG
    coal in progress.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 0
  • coal in progress painted.JPG
    coal in progress painted.JPG
    404.4 KB · Views: 0
  • coal 4 gandydancer.JPG
    coal 4 gandydancer.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 0
  • coaling tower out side.JPG
    coaling tower out side.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 0
  • coal 1 w-tender.JPG
    coal 1 w-tender.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 0
  • coal front chute.JPG
    coal front chute.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 0
  • coal 2 back top.JPG
    coal 2 back top.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 0
  • coal 3 top view.JPG
    coal 3 top view.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 0
  • coaling at coquina falls late.JPG
    coaling at coquina falls late.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 0

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I had a Bachmann one which was really 'O' Gauge. In the end I built one from ply to virtually the same design. Mind you, mine is permanently under cover :)

New for old (17).JPG

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have the Bachmann one that came with the Big Haulers R/C (27 Mhz) set, and it seems more like 00/H0.

Reactions: 1 user

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
What I want, what I really want is the Ploa replica of the Chama coaling station. That or the Ozark 1:20 .wooden version. Sigh ! One can dream. I have the Pola small coal station but the version with the skeleton crane and steps, not the crane with a cab. It's not that small. Max

Reactions: 1 user

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I was considering this structure at one time, but then I saw one on a layout at a train show and it looked very small to me. Hopes this helps.
Thanks Zman. yes it does :)

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Looked years ago when Pola came out with their silverton one that was extra large and pricy, then found a Lionel O scale one listed as G but was O adjusted it and changed with new railings and stairs + added height and girth placing it on top of a building, happy with the results, Bill
Fantastic work Bill. That's brilliant!

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
What I want, what I really want is the Ploa replica of the Chama coaling station. That or the Ozark 1:20 .wooden version. Sigh ! One can dream. I have the Pola small coal station but the version with the skeleton crane and steps, not the crane with a cab. It's not that small. Max
Oo, that Ozark one... :)

Thanks Max. It was the cab rather than the skeleton one I was looking at but I think they're essentially the same. It's good to hear that it doesn't look too tiny. I'll have a think about whether I buy or build!