Piko Wireless

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hi .
I haven't used my Lay-out much lately as we are coming out of our winter and we had a lot of rain during summer and autumn here in Australia, prior to this my Piko system has worked better than my MTS wireless set up did . I ran my Piko system last Saturday after a several months, to show some children who were visiting how the trains run . The system worked fine for the 1/2 an hour that it ran, only using the wireless system - two switches did not throw on command, but most did. On the Sunday I tried to fix the switches that did not throw using the wireless navigator. I also ran one loco to make sure things were all working. All worked fine with the wireless navigator except the switches, (that had not worked on the Saturday) - these switches were still not working on Sunday. One switch ( out of two) that are thrown by one address (ie :two switches activated from one address), one switch did not work. I disconnected this switch to bench test it and found it to be defective . I replaced this motor with another one that worked - all are LGB switch motors on Aristocraft switches , they are run with 2 LGB 55025 switch decoders and 1 DS52 Digitrak stationary decoder, these have worked ok in the past. When I restarted the system, it would not let me use the wireless system - I kept getting the (Loco with the X in the middle of the Loco), meaning Loco Logged on )this was showing on the navigator screen , I could use the M1 button to bring up the switch address on the navigator and the direction arrow changes to change directions , but no response from any of the switches. I can log on to a loco to select it ,then the screen goes back to the locked loco screen ( Engine with the X showing) . The wireless receiver shows the constant red light , the navigator also shows the wireless system is registering and connected ie: Antennae with power ring. The system works fine on the wired set up, (switches work, and locos run OK.) I am wondering if I may have locked up some command when using the wireless navigator? I have reset the Central Station back to the default Factory settings and also reset the Navigator back to Factory settings, I still get the engaged loco screen on the navigator.
I have emailed James Shout in the US who I purchaced the system through about this problem, he was helpfull with a previous problem I had, I thought someone may have had a similar problem with a Massoth Navigator as the Piko and Massoth seem similar. Can anyone recommend a site that deals with Piko problems please???
Thanks Frank
PS: I am going on holidays for two weeks from 06/08/2012 so may not be able to reply to any replies till I get back.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Frank,
you had not reported on your results of your wireless failure last year, so obviously that was sorted out. Honestly, I feel that there is a lot of work required to bring the system up to a reliable standard. The wireless receiver is just a rebadged Massoth item and thus proven for reliability. The central station is simply not up to the task in my opinion.

I simply bit the bullet and moved on. The NCE wireless 10 amp has proven to be as reliable as one could want (although wireless range is less than the Piko without using a repeater). This does not help your situation but given my experience with the Piko system, I would not be holding my breath awaiting a fix.

The system seems to be accepted in Germany going on reports on other fora, but given as how possibly you and I are the only purchasers of the system in Australia, the reliability rate is not good.

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Re:piko Wireless

Hi Tim
Thanks for your reply sorry about not replying about my other wireless problem, have been busy and have not had time for my Trains but I saying that when I turned them On the Piko worked fine mine is not a big layout. When I first had trouble with the Wireless receiver, I emailed James Shout and he replied quiet quickly that there had been problems with the receiver and sent me a new board after I returned the old one . Problem with this being Living in Australia so far away , it takes so much time, and then I had to set my old MTS back up. With the problem I am having now is I am not sure if it relates to the Navigator Receiver or Central Station. The problem earlier was the Receiver as there was no red light in the receiver and the Navigator showed RC not conected . In this case the light is on and the Navigator shows a conection. There dose not seem to be any were to turn to find out what my problem might be.
Glade to here your NCE 10amp is working OK did you get the wireless receiver with that when you purchased it or was i an add on.

Thanks Frank

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers

Frank,
the Navigator is a slightly (ever so slightly) dumbed down Massoth item so should be well proven technology. I remember an issue whereby if the receiver was not activated firstly and then the Navigator powered up, then there was a similar issue to your situation. The Navigator kept assuming an analogue position and not attempting a wireless connection. My NCE is similar as the central station must be powered up and stabilised and then the cab powered up.

As regards the NCE, I purchased it as a complete wireless setup. It is legal in Australia and uses basically the same frequency the Piko does, although the NCE is fixed on 915mhz. I power it with an Aristo 10 amp power supply limited to 18 volts. A 20 volt AC LGB power supply simply overpowers the setup and as the NCE output is limited to 18 volts (internally adjustable) at the rails the AC is just overkill.
Just as a post script, when my central station 'went to God', all I was getting on the Navigator was basically an 'analogue' view. It would not show a digital address. I never attempted to run an analogue locomotive. Maybe you could try running an analogue loco to see if that portion still works. I really fear the worst. I know how I felt when I experienced it. These are not inexpensive items.

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag

Hi Tim and All.
Have been in touch will James in the US and have sent the wireless receiver internals back for a new one, seems they may still be having a problem with the receiver would like to know if the Massoth wireless receiver has had the same problem. Will now have to wait till the new one returns.

dennis_1

Registered
7 Aug 2012
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Best answers

Hi Tim and Frank,
I have a Central Station/Massoth hybrid combination and have experienced the "locked loco screen" scenario (engine with the X showing) on two occasions, the first was caused by switching on the wireless controller b4 the Central Station. The second occasion was simply caused by the batteries running low in the Massoth wireless controller. The system has worked fine since.
Cheers

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers

Frank,
from what I can see the Massoth and Piko receivers are similar, bar the addition of the analogue connection. I lament the day I purchased mine. Only went the Piko route to have wireless analogue as well as DCC. No problems with analogue ops.

Dennis,
yes, a locked screen is a possibility if the central station not powered up before the Navigator activated. I have experienced it occasionally on my NCE wireless unit.

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag

Hi All
Haven't been on line much since last post, Just thought I would let you all know that James Shourt sent me a New PC board for the wireless Receiver and it works fine now. I may need to get a spare board if this problem persists.