Piko points: opinions wanted

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Jon
They are so easy to open up and check. I wouldn't take the chance of one being a 'rogue' and would check the lot.

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Just to add my recent experience...
Even with the 'bad press' about loose screws, I figured with battery power the problem didn't matter. So I bought 3. Two were OK.
On the 3rd one, the moving blade didn't fit snuggly against the fixed rail. I finally found it wasn't vertical. see pic
8c5fc2f30f2f445fa8d855ef9cbef094.jpg

I finally twigged to the problem being the fact that the screw underneath was loose and too long, as per many previous posts and this allowed the moving blade to flop around and not seat properly against the fixed rail. So the screw problem is not just an electrical continuity problem.
b9016e2262b7459f81160520d9b8853a.jpg

Now these stupid screws are Torx head, so after buying a small screwdriver I tried to tighten it, but just managed to 'strip' the head. Why on earth do they use Torx? Anyhow the only way I could fix the problem was to jam some 0.5mm styrene under the screw head and glue it in, hoping I didn't glue the blade to the base. Now installed - and will be OK I hope. But not a good experience from PIKO.
75136f5a26ee42e1ac6b571ef1821085.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
gregh said:
I finally twigged to the problem being the fact that the screw underneath was loose and too long, as per many previous posts and this allowed the moving blade to flop around and not seat properly against the fixed rail. So the screw problem is not just an electrical continuity problem.
images

Now these stupid screws are Torx head, so after buying a small screwdriver I tried to tighten it, but just managed to 'strip' the head.

I suggest that, following Greg's experience, one should loosen and remove the screw, rather than trying to tighten it. The screw is obviously too long for the blind hole. Also, the TORX screws are probably fitted using a powered driver, hence their use.

Then I would fit a shake proof washer before re-assembly.

I reckon that a washer should have been fitted at the factory, but for some reason has been omitted and poor QC hasn't picked this up....

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
gregh said:
images

Now these stupid screws are Torx head, so after buying a small screwdriver I tried to tighten it, but just managed to 'strip' the head.

I suggest that, following Greg's experience, one should loosen and remove the screw, rather than trying to tighten it. The screw is obviously too long for the blind hole. Also, the TORX screws are probably fitted using a powered driver, hence their use.

I reckon that a washer should have been fitted at the factory, but for some reason has been omitted and poor QC hasn't picked this up....
Another minor annoyance is that the screw holding the baseplate is NOT Torx so a different screwdriver is needed.

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
I suggest that, following Greg's experience, one should loosen and remove the screw, rather than trying to tighten it. The screw is obviously too long for the blind hole.
Boy, do I second that idea!!!!

5H17

Railways and Diesel preservation, American cars
25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
www.fourfooteightandahalf.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:

I laid mine over 12 months ago, and after reading other people experiences this is exactly what i did. I did re-use the original screws as well though, but I gave them a dose of copper slip before laying them. So far they are ok.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
i can now confirm, i m have NO issues with the piko points, unbelivable, but true.. it dose help the fact i havent got any, anymore..

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
mike said:
i can now confirm, i m have NO issues with the piko points, unbelivable, but true.. it dose help the fact i havent got any, anymore..

Mike - you just made me dribble coffee over my keyboard! :rofl: