Piko Navigator 128 speed step operation.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
My DCC system consists of a Piko 35010 central unit, 35011 navigator and 35012 radio unit.
Earlier today, as part of setting up a loco with a NCE D408SR decoder, I decided to experiment with 128 speed steps.
Previously I've only used 28 speed steps. To my surprise the speed increases by four steps at a time when 128 steps are selected. Is this normal for this system? If not what might I be doing wrong?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So the controller jumps 4 speed steps as the smallest amount you can command? Sounds like the Navigator is not set for "full resolution"... I'll be interested what the wizards have to say about solving this. It's definitely not normal in a 128 SS system.

Greg

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Neil, its a "feature" of the navigator so i'm told :)

If you select the loco as the first control loco (that uses the dial), it will jump in 4 step blocks as the dial does not have enough resolution.
If you select the loco as the second control loco (that uses the buttons), all 128 speed steps are available.

The Navigator also has a feature called "Trolly" mode which when enabled (and if I recall works only for 128 speed steps), increases and decreases the speed steps relatively in a similar way to using the buttons. This can be enabled by setting Special Mode A1.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, the display shows a dial in one mode?

so, the display is different from this?

0000150_massoth-dimax-navigator.gif

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Mark,
Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.
i couldn't find anything in the instructions and I'd never have guessed.
I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Greg,
Thanks for your interest.
My understanding is when operating two locos simultaneously the dial is used for the first loco speed and direction control. The second loco speed and direction uses the left and right "arrow" buttons immediately under the dial with the middle, round one acting as a stop button.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, so the resolution is in the mechanical "dial".... just wanted to understand, since I did not see any resolution problem with the display. I assume the rotating dial has "detents" or physical steps as it is turned.

Sorry to interfere with your query.

Greg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, so the resolution is in the mechanical "dial".... just wanted to understand, since I did not see any resolution problem with the display. I assume the rotating dial has "detents" or physical steps as it is turned.

Sorry to interfere with your query.

Greg

I must admit that even as a Massoth user, I thought that was correct until I just got one of my Navvies out and tried it to be 100% sure - no, there are no discernable detents except for the "centre off" zero position - otherwise it appears to be a completely smooth rotation of the dial.....

Jon.