Piko mogul not behaving

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
Just out of curiosity and for research purposes, have you be able to determine the decoder Manufacturer?

Sorry for the delay in responding John, just reread the booklet and the maufacturer is SoundTraxx.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, on the pickups, when the loco is lying upside down and you test with a meter, not the same as the loco moving. You may have an intermittent.

The other issue is still about power pickup, uneven track will lift a wheel here and there and can affect how well the loco is picking up voltage.

Looks like this might have been the problem, also issues like over gauge wheels and tight track gauge can wreak havoc.

Greg

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
I have had a response from Piko re my report on the loco behaviour. They state that the track voltage should not exceed 19v as this can cause problems with the SoundTraxx decoder. The instruction manual states not to exceed 24v in analogue and the wiring scheme for the decoder doesn't show any voltage except between 16-24v for an optional external capacitor to, I assume, give continuous running over points etc.

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
This is the Piko response.

P_20190425_142437_1_p.jpg

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
That's why I no longer use SoundTraxx anything, had this issue with the original Tsunami.

I thought this was fixed in the new models?

Greg

Perhaps Piko thought so as well Greg, then found out it wasn't. I have 2 Piko loco's and there has been issues with both digitally, there will be no more!