In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Fellow G Scalers!

Thank you everyone that pointed me in the direction of G Scale Graphics Diesel and Light Diesel sound systems. I have been enjoying their sound products and also their graphics.

I have a Phoenix The Big Sound Diesel 97 board and I love it! But I wish to trigger the horn and bells remotely instead of with reed switches. I use track power and at this time do not use DCC. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks AJ the Teacher (in Texas)

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Phoenix The Big Sound Diesel 97 board and I love it! But I wish to trigger the horn and bells remotely instead of with reed switches.
To trigger remotely you need a remote switch

I use track power and at this time do not use DCC.
And track power (without DCC) does not have this facility, which is why reed switches are employed.

The only way forward if you are not going DCC would be a R/C with an on board Rx to trigger the switches, but this seems like a lot of faff and expense.

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, the 97 was not even DCC capable, pretty early unit.

some reference info on the Phoenix line (scroll down for early stuff)

If you want to remotely trigger sounds on DC, find some old QSI decoders. You can trigger the bell and horn with the reversing switch on an analog supply. There's a small box that was available that would command all 32 sounds on dc layout.

Greg

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like you need to find a 2 channel remote relay unit of some sorts.
(I'm guessing you want to trigger both a bell and horn)
diuebc1565601941980.jpg

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
diuebc1565601941980.jpg
Any hints on how I should search for this marvelous device on evilbay? Never mind. I searched on Two channel remote relay and got several hits. Duh!

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Any hints on how I should search for this marvelous device on evilbay? Never mind. I searched on Two channel remote relay and got several hits. Duh!

You would need to look up "2 Channel Remote Relay"

The main trouble is, most of these units I've seen require at least 12 volts to operate the 'brains'.
Which means you need to fit quite a few batteries in the loco for it to work.

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
diuebc1565601941980.jpg
Thanks for your suggestion . I will be looking into this. AJ the Teacher

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
They don't draw a lot of current, so the small 12v garage remote battery might be fine.
Thanks Greg. (Sorry for the late replies everyone. My 86 year old Mom is in ICU,) I should have also mentioned that the sound board came with an RCS Remote Cordless Walkaround Controller box that is powered but a 9 volt battery. Unfortunately; I did not receive the receiver that plugs into the Phoenix sound system. There is only the pigtail for it attached to the board. Thanks AJ the TeacherRCS Controller Made In Australia.jpgRCS Controller Receiver Pigtail.jpg.