Pheonix PB9 Sound Systems-Gone Unpredictably 'Loco'!!

newboydave

G scale trains - no surprise there then!</br></br>
24 Oct 2009
Sale, Cheshire, UK.
Best answers
Country flag
I have two loco's fitted with Pheonix PB9's and until recently they have been great. Suddenly, one of them started making the "stopping" sounds i.e. braking, and bell, while the loco was still running - then at times, it would not make any sounds, the 'chuffing' just stopped momentarily on several occasions, before resuming as normal.

If that wasn't bad enough, today (approx two weeks after I experianced the faults Iv'e described), my other loco started doing something similar i.e. the "stopping" sounds, bell, steam hiss and "blowdown" and at other times, the whistle - all while the loco was just running normally.
Very weird!!
I'm using the 'Revolution' control system.
Anybody got any suggestions as to the possible cause or ideas?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'm no expert, and have never used a Phoenix system, but my first thought would be that rather than there being anything wrong with the decoder(s) it is more likely that they're somehow getting scrambled commands from the control unit?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
The PB9 board uses a battery for low speed effects. This is the first item I would check.
Do you have access to to a Phoenix computer interface system? If so the recent software updates (free upload) can be useful for fault finding.
If all else fails you can delete and then reload the sound file using the above system.