Pendlebury signal kit

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Alan (Stockers) sent me one of his Pendlebury signal kits the other day - actually, he sent me 2 because I wanted to make a bracket signal, so I actually got the plain single signal plus the parts to make a second signal on a bracket. I modified these quite a bit by making a new platform and copying a signal from Towyn yard that I found pictured in a book. The signals are the starters for the two platform roads from Gooey station.

f7c76b73a8e3425ab1eced0648514dd6.jpg

I tried to cut the signals down a fair bit to try and give them more of a narrow gauge feel (you should be able to get the size from the Corpet and the Bachmann figure?), but I think I was starting to push my luck with the reduction of the arms - any further reduction and the spectacle plates would start to look way too big. The only things I added to the kits were the new platform (plasticard and stripwood), the ladder (suitably sized wire mesh) and the base (part of a Piko building that came from Ruritania :D ). I've still got to "plant" it properly and I want to make the white band on the left-hand signal a smidge wider.

These signals are not all singing and dancing like some on the market, but they are very cheap and make an ideal way of producing signals customized to fit your railway. It would be quite easy to make them work, fit lights etc. if you wish. The recent articles in Garden Rail give some ideas on how to achieve this, but buying the Pendlebury kits would mean you don't have to make all the difficult bits like the signal arms. Distant signals could also be made just by cutting a V from the end of the arm.

So, good simple signals at a very competitive price, but the sky's the limit when it comes to modifying them :clap:.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Woo Hoo Mel, that looks first class and has the right feel, I likes 'em

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mel. Following Mels advice, one or two improvements are being quickly developed for the bracket set and the size of the arm is being reviewed.
Nice work.:D

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Signals pretty much completed now (apart from planting properly). I managed to find some more (different) wire mesh which was just right for making the handrail around the platform.

c0c9e613e552474fa206987696d753e5.jpg

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Looks the part Mel!,
so what is the dimension of signal arm, from tip to over end of spectacle plate, Please

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Very effective... I'm torn on signalling as part of me wants to include it, but the other part thinks it might set the location to much - and as sometimes I want the line to be in Austria in the 1960s, and sometimes I want the line to be a preserved railway in the UK in the 1990s it's a balancing act. Are they available now to purchase from Pendlebury or are these pre-productions still?

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
jameshilton said:
Very effective... I'm torn on signalling as part of me wants to include it, but the other part thinks it might set the location to much - and as sometimes I want the line to be in Austria in the 1960s, and sometimes I want the line to be a preserved railway in the UK in the 1990s it's a balancing act. Are they available now to purchase from Pendlebury or are these pre-productions still?

Wasnt on the Pendlebury website an hour ago, James

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thanks Don and James. As Stockers says, he is currently reviewing the length of the signal arms. I ended up cutting 200mm off mine, but I think I should have stopped at 150mm. Also Alan is re-working the bracket signal kit after my Guinea Pig job, but I understand that the single signal is available subject to him having replenished his stocks from Stoneleigh (where they went like hot cakes).

Best thing is probably to PM Stockers with your needs until he gets the signals on his website.

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
yb281 said:
Thanks Don and James. As Stockers says, he is currently reviewing the length of the signal arms. I ended up cutting 200mm off mine, but I think I should have stopped at 150mm. Also Alan is re-working the bracket signal kit after my Guinea Pig job, but I understand that the single signal is available subject to him having replenished his stocks from Stoneleigh (where they went like hot cakes).

Best thing is probably to PM Stockers with your needs until he gets the signals on his website.

Was that a full size (12 inches to the foot) signal arm that came in your kit then?? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
No wonder you had to cut 8 inches off it. :D

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
adeshers said:
yb281 said:

Was that a full size (12 inches to the foot) signal arm that came in your kit then?? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
No wonder you had to cut 8 inches off it. :D
Oh aye, one too many noughts :D.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
very crisp and proffessional I must say...

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Got mine yesterday! :):clap:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The single signal is available with the original arm. Medium term, I will reduce the size of the arm and then introduce the bracket set.
Took a dozen to Reading and sold 15. Work that out yourself!
Web sites can take an age to update. It depends on how busy the web master is.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
The single signal is available with the original arm. Medium term, I will reduce the size of the arm and then introduce the bracket set.
Took a dozen to Reading and sold 15. Work that out yourself!
Web sites can take an age to update. It depends on how busy the web master is.

There I was thinking I'd bagged the last two and you sold three more. :clap:

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
They look really good mel.

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Just to show the single signal, I made mine yesterday and have hopefully got it right.
I just need another one now!

Just perfect for adding that bit of character to the railway.

85e74c062adf4b2895573d6803816c5b.jpg

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag