Love it.. inspireing stuff

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
One of the reasons I built a railway in the garden was lack of space in the house - but even so, I've ended up fighting for space out there - unless the railway was to take over the whole garden ..... hmmm, there's a thought.
Rik
My problem has been that I start out leaving space for buildings, then I decide I need more sidings, so the buildings have to go.

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
One of the reasons I built a railway in the garden was lack of space in the house - but even so, I've ended up fighting for space out there - unless the railway was to take over the whole garden ..... hmmm, there's a thought.

Rik
Isn't that what gardens are for? What else do you do with them?:think::think:

Reactions: 1 users

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Isn't that what gardens are for? What else do you do with them?:think::think:

Yup, agreed 100%. MY backyard is simply a location to hold my train setup and an air pistol target pellet catcher. Oh, and my reloading shed, of course. Everything fits in very nicely, but then, it IS only 33 feet square.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Yup, agreed 100%. MY backyard is simply a location to hold my train setup and an air pistol target pellet catcher. Oh, and my reloading shed, of course. Everything fits in very nicely, but then, it IS only 33 feet square.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS
Air pistol target pellet catcher? Isn't that just a different way of saying "the backside of the cat that dumps in my flower bed"?:devil::devil:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Air pistol target pellet catcher? Isn't that just a different way of saying "the backside of the cat that dumps in my flower bed"?:devil::devil:

Now, now!
There are other ways to deter feline visitors, without reverting to those of dubious legality and morality.. :oops:

Hmmm.. 33 feet..
So, with 120 foot, I would need a rifle? ;)

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
.watching you.jpg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm told that a catapult and ice cubes can be a good deterrent that leaves no trace...so I'm reliably informed....:wasntme:

tac

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Latest update:

Slowly but surely (hopefully), I have been working on detailing the interior. Just about finished the saw carriage and its track, though need to install a representation of the pulley/funicular system for driving it. The log dogs were a bit of a fiddle. I did try fashioning them from metal but my skills aren't up to it. Once painted, plasticard should look fine, though.
file.php

file.php

Thanks to a fellow modeller, I am now in possession of sufficient 3D printed pulley wheels of various sizes to complete the overhead lineshafts (once I've finished making all the machinery).
file.php

Rik

Reactions: 6 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Those pulleys look excellent.. You almost won't need to do anything to them, I reckon!?
:clap::clap:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I reckon that this here build needs a 'narticle in the various journals.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS
Port Orford Coast RR - Eastern Sub

Reactions: 1 users

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Those pulleys look excellent.. You almost won't need to do anything to them, I reckon!?
:clap::clap:
I've had to glue the two halves together and then tidy up the 'print-outs' with a file. Otherwise, I agree, they look pretty good.

Rik

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I had to look twice, before I read the words, I thought it was a real one you were going to copy! Brilliant:clap::clap::clap::clap:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I like that spelling of nails - is it a 'Narfolk' thing? BTW, when I worked in an ironmongers on a Saturday, nails were always sold by weight, and screw by dozen.

tac
I still buy hails by weight at a couple of Local hardware shops.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Gradually populating the interior of the mill. Need to make another table saw and the mill engine, and then decide exactly where everything will be fixed into place and then I can start on installing the overhead line shafts.

As you can see, I tend to make use of all sorts of 'recycled' items - amazing what can be found in the 50p shop.
file.php

file.php

Rik

Reactions: 6 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Gradually populating the interior of the mill. Need to make another table saw and the mill engine, and then decide exactly where everything will be fixed into place and then I can start on installing the overhead line shafts.

As you can see, I tend to make use of all sorts of 'recycled' items - amazing what can be found in the 50p shop.
file.php

file.php

Rik
Wow!

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Good stuff there. Love the signwriting, but, (or is it just me), shouldn't it have been in capitals. All this upper case/lower case stuff is a modern phenomina, is it not ?.
Just commenting.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
It's been a couple of months since I posted anything about progress on the sawmill - a few other things have got in the way - eg India, couplings, life, etc. However, I decided over the weekend that I needed to press on with it. Here's where I'm up to.

The interior is now more or less finished.
file.php

The machinery is done. Including the horizontal mill engine which is a much-modified model of a beam engine (ex Airfix, I think) which I picked up at a sawpmeet for a fiver. OK, purists will throw up their hands in horror, but it gives the impression of a mill engine - which is what I am after.
file.php

The headsaws are in place - various oddments from the local 50p shop pressed into service. Again, not a true representation of any specific prototype, just an interpretation drawn from various photos.
file.php

There is a logic to the placement of the various bits of machinery, so that the flitches from the headsaw are then trimmed to width and length (haven't cut any fitches yet (ie lengths of timber with the bark still on one or two sides).
file.php

The layshafts and pulleys have been completed. I think their layout would actually work - though I now realise that the final trimming table saw has been installed the wrong way round so the belt would interfere with the cutting process. A job for the future!
file.php

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the outcome. When the roof goes on, you will only catch glimpses of the activity inside. I did wonder if everything was a bit cramped, but looking at photos of real sawmills, mine looks quite tidy and spacious by comparison.
file.php

As with everything, there is more to be done. I'm currently working on the gantry crane for loading and unloading the wagons - and, of course, I need to build a boiler house for the mill engine.

All good fun!

Rik

Reactions: 11 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It's been a couple of months since I posted anything about progress on the sawmill - a few other things have got in the way - eg India, couplings, life, etc. However, I decided over the weekend that I needed to press on with it. Here's where I'm up to.

The interior is now more or less finished.
file.php

The machinery is done. Including the horizontal mill engine which is a much-modified model of a beam engine (ex Airfix, I think) which I picked up at a sawpmeet for a fiver. OK, purists will throw up their hands in horror, but it gives the impression of a mill engine - which is what I am after.
file.php

The headsaws are in place - various oddments from the local 50p shop pressed into service. Again, not a true representation of any specific prototype, just an interpretation drawn from various photos.
file.php

There is a logic to the placement of the various bits of machinery, so that the flitches from the headsaw are then trimmed to width and length (haven't cut any fitches yet (ie lengths of timber with the bark still on one or two sides).
file.php

The layshafts and pulleys have been completed. I think their layout would actually work - though I now realise that the final trimming table saw has been installed the wrong way round so the belt would interfere with the cutting process. A job for the future!
file.php

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the outcome. When the roof goes on, you will only catch glimpses of the activity inside. I did wonder if everything was a bit cramped, but looking at photos of real sawmills, mine looks quite tidy and spacious by comparison.
file.php

As with everything, there is more to be done. I'm currently working on the gantry crane for loading and unloading the wagons - and, of course, I need to build a boiler house for the mill engine.

All good fun!

Rik
"Quite pleased "? I'd be more than pleased if I had built it!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I've now posted THIS three times, but I hope it sticks this time - 'That's my candidate for Model of the Year'.

tac

Reactions: 2 users