Peckforton sawmill

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
There was a series in the Garden Rail magazine a couple of years ago, with all the info you need. Try issues 254-255
Thanks. I think that was John Robinson's (JRinTawa) wonderful sawmill wasn't it? Mine won't be anywhere near as highly detailed (I don't have the room or the modelling skills) but it's useful to see what it ought to look like.

Rik

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. I think that was John Robinson's (JRinTawa) wonderful sawmill wasn't it? Mine won't be anywhere near as highly detailed (I don't have the room or the modelling skills) but it's useful to see what it ought to look like.

Rik
Indeed it was! A marvelous piece of modelling, I've just made the name connection.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
A touch more progress with this build. Now painted and a signboard attached. The name comes from the 1911 census for the immediate area where my railway is set. Although in 1911, John Naylor the timber merchant was 67 years old, his son (also John) was 23 and so I'm assuming he would be running his dad's business in 1932.

IMG_7022.JPG
IMG_7024.JPG

Still got to add the guttering and downspouts and then make a start on the interior detailing.

Rik

Reactions: 4 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic:clap::clap::clap:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Really looks the business, Rik!
The name, and back-story to it, is a nice touch as well.. We know, but others may only think of 'wood and nails'..
:clap::clap:

Reactions: 1 user

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Great work Rik.
That will fit in very nicely.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks chaps. Working on the guttering just now. Not yet decided on the machinery, how detailed to make it and whether to make some of it operational.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I tested the building in its intended location (once it had stopped raining). Still needs to be properly bedded into its surroundings which need to be landscaped and then detailed, but it seems to look OK.
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Rik

Reactions: 11 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I tested the building in its intended location (once it had stopped raining). Still needs to be properly bedded into its surroundings which need to be landscaped and then detailed, but it seems to look OK.
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Rik
I like the proprietor's name :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Many moons ago, the CIOB published a re-print of an old document which was the cost records for the construction of a historic building (can't now remember the building)...........

.but the costing were complete, even down to the nayles which, being drawn or cut were purchased by weight :nod::nod::nod:

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Great setting all round Rik.
Is the building soaked in matt varnish or something to preserve it from the elements ?

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I like the proprietor's name :clap::clap::clap::clap:
It's actually the name of a real timber merchant taken from the 1911 census for the area served by my railway (if it had existed). Although my railway is set in 1932, John Naylor had a son who was 23 in 1911 and so I've assumed he would have taken over his dad's business - he was also called John Naylor.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Great setting all round Rik.
Is the building soaked in matt varnish or something to preserve it from the elements ?
Hi Paul
No (not yet). I'm intending to store this building under cover when not in use and deploy it when I play trains - like I do with my Copper Mine buildings (also made of wood). I'll probably keep it outside during the summer though.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I'm working on the interior at the moment. I've made the main saw and the track for the saw trolley - just working on the trolley itself. I'm intending to have everything powered (theoretically) by an overhead lineshaft driven by a stationary steam engine. Another modeller has very kindly 3D printed the pulley wheels for me. It's a great hobby this - everyone is so helpful and supportive.

Rik

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
It's actually the name of a real timber merchant taken from the 1911 census for the area served by my railway (if it had existed). Although my railway is set in 1932, John Naylor had a son who was 23 in 1911 and so I've assumed he would have taken over his dad's business - he was also called John Naylor.
Rik
There's always John Joiner
join.png
;)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
even down to the nayles which, being drawn or cut were purchased by weight :nod::nod::nod:

I like that spelling of nails - is it a 'Narfolk' thing? BTW, when I worked in an ironmongers on a Saturday, nails were always sold by weight, and screw by dozen.

tac

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I like that spelling of nails - is it a 'Narfolk' thing? BTW, when I worked in an ironmongers on a Saturday, nails were always sold by weight, and screw by dozen.

tac

Did you have to look up the price in The Green List? - Think it was the Green one, and not the Grey??

My Father, and I, made a 'killing' when I spotted an old-retainer had passed away.. We bid (and won) the whole stock of brass screws.. Solid, not this modern plated rubbish!
Everything from 1/4" x 000 to 3" x 12 the latter being priced individually in the list..

When the UK went 'metric' screws then came in boxes of 200, and you had a price for 10, and 200 listed, rather than 12 and 144..

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

tac
No, it was a very olde English way of spelling, I think it date back to the 16th / 17th century or so.

Yes, may nails are still sold by weight, so you can get 0.5 kg of 4 inch nails :devil::devil::devil:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Rik
Probably no accident in the name, then ;);)

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Sure looks the part. Can't wait to see the internals.
BTW, it's always surprising how BIG the models of seemingly small buildings are.

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Sure looks the part. Can't wait to see the internals.
BTW, it's always surprising how BIG the models of seemingly small buildings are.
One of the reasons I built a railway in the garden was lack of space in the house - but even so, I've ended up fighting for space out there - unless the railway was to take over the whole garden ..... hmmm, there's a thought.

Rik

Reactions: 1 users