Peckforton sawmill

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Made a start over Christmas on my latest project - the sawmill at Peckforton.

I wanted to make sure the roof structure worked out OK before doing too much to the rest of the building. My interpretation of Belfast trusses - a bit over-engineered for the size of the building, but I wanted something that looked a bit different.
file.php

file.php

Next stage will be to clad the roof in corrugated iron - the drinks can donors can just be seen in the background, and then a few more coffee stirrers trimmed down to provide the workers with some protection from the elements.

Then will come the fun part of making the machinery.

Rik

Reactions: 9 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like there has been a run on Coffee Stirers in your neck of the woods Rik! Sawmills are a great source of Traffic for your line. Logs in on Flats or Bolsters, planks and other wood products out in Opens and Vans. I forsee a few more Double Headres on your line.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Drinking a bit of coffee lately, Rik.....?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good. Nice to see a properly laid out Belfast truss.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good. Nice to see a properly laid out Belfast truss.
Like what the man said - these have not been popular for a long time - I suspect that they are too complex for most designers, let alone the average tradesperson.

That said, bearing in mind that the warren girder truss, and its various derivatives, are designed on the basis of resolution of the triangle of forces, how does one do the calcs for a Belfast truss?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Like what the man said - these have not been popular for a long time - I suspect that they are too complex for most designers, let alone the average tradesperson.

That said, bearing in mind that the warren girder truss, and its various derivatives, are designed on the basis of resolution of the triangle of forces, how does one do the calcs for a Belfast truss?

Presumably as a Warren truss.. But over, and over, and over again! ;):giggle::giggle:
Or just go for the next size up in metal! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
..... how does one do the calcs for a Belfast truss?
http://www.artefacts.co.za/main/Buildings/style_det.php?styleid=1592

Not that I did anything anywhere near as complicated - I just based mine on a drawing of one.

This bit makes it sound like an interesting concept

"The speed of construction of the Belfast roof, had great advantages over other forms of roof construction. In America the Belfast roof was also known as the 'Build Fast' roof. The speed of construction was due to the fact that it was nailed and prepared on the ground and then hoisted up into position."

Rik

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Or just go for the next size up in metal! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ah, that has a design term, 'Rule of thumb'. :nod::nod::nod::nod: But many Belfast trusses are on big structures like aircraft hangars, and I wouldn't have thought that rule of thumb would have been the preferred option.............:wasntme::wasntme:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

"The speed of construction of the Belfast roof, had great advantages over other forms of roof construction. In America the Belfast roof was also known as the 'Build Fast' roof. The speed of construction was due to the fact that it was nailed and prepared on the ground and then hoisted up into position."

Rik

Ah, reminds me of when, as a General Foreman, I had to approve Paddy's timesheet. One of the jobs he had been doing (according to his time sheet) was installing an Irish Jay :nod::nod::nod:

Reactions: 2 users

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, reminds me of when, as a General Foreman, I had to approve Paddy's timesheet. One of the jobs he had been doing (according to his time sheet) was installing an Irish Jay :nod::nod::nod:
Brilliant!!

It reminds me of that inverse Irish joke

The English workers on a building site are joking that the new Irish worker, Paddy, wouldn't even know the difference between a Joist and a Girder. So one of the blokes goes and asks him. Paddy thinks for a moment and then replies ...... "Hmmmm, that's a tricky one. I'd say that the biggest difference is that Joyce wrote Ulysses whereas Goethe wrote Faust."

Rik

Reactions: 7 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant!!

It reminds me of that inverse Irish joke

The English workers on a building site are joking that the new Irish worker, Paddy, wouldn't even know the difference between a Joist and a Girder. So one of the blokes goes and asks him. Paddy thinks for a moment and then replies ...... "Hmmmm, that's a tricky one. I'd say that the biggest difference is that Joyce wrote Ulysses whereas Goethe wrote Faust."

Rik
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
:confused:
I've just got two Shovels here....

and was told to take my Pick!
:confused:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
But if it wasn't for Irishmen,, would our railways have been built?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Absolutely not, but the best craic is that the Irish love the irish jokes - they are great guys to work with :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: 2 users

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Irish labour was used to build our early motorway network in the 60s/70s.

The irony is that the M50 motorway around Dublin was built by the Brits....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Irish labour was used to build our early motorway network in the 60s/70s.

The irony is that the M50 motorway around Dublin was built by the Brits....
We had to, they were building ours

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Progress is slow with this project. Still finding my feet with this construction technique - it's a case of now I've done one I think I know how I'd do the next one.

The roof has been clad in corrugated aluminium foil (from baking trays) and the sides clad in coffee stirrers.
file.php

file.php

The next stage is painting and then figuring out how to model the various bits of machinery.

Rik

Reactions: 7 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Progress is slow with this project. Still finding my feet with this construction technique - it's a case of now I've done one I think I know how I'd do the next one.

The roof has been clad in corrugated aluminium foil (from baking trays) and the sides clad in coffee stirrers.
file.php

file.php

The next stage is painting and then figuring out how to model the various bits of machinery.

Rik
There was a series in the Garden Rail magazine a couple of years ago, with all the info you need. Try issues 254-255