Paxton Battery and R/C Conversion

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Is that some kind of standard? Communication protocol?
Are different manufacturers compatible with each other?
Yes, DSM2 is some kind of standard. Spektrum started using 2.4Ghz radios and the DSM2 protocol some years ago. In my experience, any DSM2 receiver will work with any DSM2 transmitter. This is a tiny one I found - they supply cables to fit the small connectors.

H48982f9547e04218b6f3f0a20ee44f61U.jpg

The problem is that (a) manufacturers prefer that you buy their product, not someone else's, and (b) manufacturers claim they can improve on DSM2 by implementing their own protocols. The latter may be true, but an open market of standard product is better for us, the buyers. My answer would be that I haven't had any problems with DSM2 over the past 15 years, so I don't care if their protocol is better.

I have a DSM2 TX with knobs (from RCS) and about 4 different manufacturer's RX that talk to it.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
In theory, yes :nod::nod:

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, I've done that with my 'Yeti' and it's a workable solution.

As you know, the MLS remote works on infra-red, and needs direct line-of-sight, but you can still keep the active end more or less out of site. If you were really clever, you might be able to hide it in the loco backhead panel - probably a better suggestion than having it come out of one nostril on Pxton's face :giggle::giggle::giggle:
Another good location for the IR receiver is under the loco floor looking down at the track. It is then completely invisible. However you can still change settings by pointing the TV remote at the track under the loco. The IR will bounce up off the sleepers, ballast, etc. and work just fine. I will add this to the instructions.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Attachments

• Underfloor IR.png
    Underfloor IR.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This is the link to the DSM2
But with linking to a Spectrum TX I presume he is talking about a big Plane/car/boat type of TX. Though RCS do smaller hand TX similar in size to FOSWORKS.

As said above Deltang is similar but somewhat tricky to obtain the larger RX till Micron produce their alternative. Can anyone confirm that RCS RX work ok with a Deltang TX and how the programming works, Deltang programming is I find notoriously tricky?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As said above Deltang is similar but somewhat tricky to obtain the larger RX till Micron produce their alternative. Can anyone confirm that RCS RX work ok with a Deltang TX and how the programming works, Deltang programming is I find notoriously tricky?
You will be extremely lucky to find a Deltang Rx6n receiver, as David is no longer producing them..
I have a few (to act as warranty replacements) and I can repair (some) faults.

The Micron MR603 is very close, but Andy needs to earn a crust, as well as turn himself into a major manufacturer/supplier to the rest of us.

The RCS receivers are compatible with the Deltang-based Transmitters.
Tony's philosophy, is that Customer's do not want to fiddle, so he offers preconfigured units.
I expect he will offer a 'user-programable' version, of the Micron receiver, but you would need his confirmation of this.

We will all be offering pre-programed versions of the Micron receiver.
You can always ask your supplier to program it for you, and if buying a transmitter and receiver pair, there is no reason why the supplier will not pre-bind, if asked.

If you are having trouble programming, it is usually down to getting into the correct mode to do this..
SOS programming, is a 'faff' to get into, until you get the timing right!
Using a 'stick-type' transmitter, or a 'Tx20' it is easier to get into programming-mode. Then it is just counting and clicking.

PhilP

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If you are having trouble programming, it is usually down to getting into the correct mode to do this..
SOS programming, is a 'faff' to get into, until you get the timing right!
Using a 'stick-type' transmitter, or a 'Tx20' it is easier to get into programming-mode. Then it is just counting and clicking.

PhilP
Having programmed a number of Micron MR001a Rx, after a couple of false starts, I found it quire simple with a Tx22 :), hopefully Andy's new Rx will programme similarly.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Having programmed a number of Micron MR001a Rx, after a couple of false starts, I found it quire simple with a Tx22 :), hopefully Andy's new Rx will programme similarly.
Yes it will.. - The software is very similar.

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Once you get into it yes it is quite simple. But trouble for me is my short term memory issue if I am not doing something with any regularity. Thus every time I needed to do Deltang programming it was almost like a new start hence my problems. But I got there eventually and everything works as I wanted thanks in no small way to Micron giving me the programming codes that I needed to get 4 sounds out of a MLS using Deltang RX and TX.