Paxton Battery and R/C Conversion

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways & more caving. Fan of TTTE
1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers
A short video detailing how I converted Paxton to battery power with radio control and sound using a Small Engine R/C kit from Fosworks - https://fosworks.co.uk

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Very good how to for newbies. As ever a comment or two.

Depending on your future battery fleet it may have been worthwhile getting a selecta TX, this allows you to have multiple locomotives from one handset. If you do another worth considering.

The other thing I do is to put the MLS tv remote reciever in the cab so that the infra red works through the windows. Perhaps not possible if you want to keep Paxton as original as you can, but mounting outside somewhere would have been an alternative option. Gronks are more pimply than one imagines.

Finally I personally try to shy away from on/off and charging sockets under the chassis. Sometimes it is not always possible, but one of the boxes on the top with the box roof removed and adapted for easy removal is another option.

Still very nice to see some more ‘dark side’ Batteryfication.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Wow!
They did a crane-version in the Netherlands?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The other thing I do is to put the MLS tv remote reciever in the cab so that the infra red works through the windows.
I suppose you could put it in one nostril of his nose, Gilbert ;);)

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
What a well produced video. Very nicely done.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Reactions: 1 user

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I watched the video and sent it to a couple of friends. (It's going viral as I write this.)

It's a pity Fosworks won't sell their kits and parts over here in the USA. There's a need for a simple kit that you just drop in to a loco. [I did email Steve but his Omni radio isn't FCC approved, and I couldn't persuade him that DSM2 would be perfectly acceptable and already approved.]

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
Very good how to for newbies. As ever a comment or two.

Depending on your future battery fleet it may have been worthwhile getting a selecta TX, this allows you to have multiple locomotives from one handset. If you do another worth considering.

The other thing I do is to put the MLS tv remote reciever in the cab so that the infra red works through the windows. Perhaps not possible if you want to keep Paxton as original as you can, but mounting outside somewhere would have been an alternative option. Gronks are more pimply than one imagines.

Finally I personally try to shy away from on/off and charging sockets under the chassis. Sometimes it is not always possible, but one of the boxes on the top with the box roof removed and adapted for easy removal is another option.

Still very nice to see some more ‘dark side’ Batteryfication.
Thanks. I will be putting the MLS receiver in the cab once I've removed the phoney windows.

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
I watched the video and sent it to a couple of friends. (It's going viral as I write this.)

It's a pity Fosworks won't sell their kits and parts over here in the USA. There's a need for a simple kit that you just drop in to a loco. [I did email Steve but his Omni radio isn't FCC approved, and I couldn't persuade him that DSM2 would be perfectly acceptable and already approved.]
Thanks for sharing. Viral? 7 views in the last 60 minutes!

Same that you can't get hold of the kit in the USA.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag

G Scale Graphics in Colorado offer battery conversions modules with radio control and sound.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
The picture of the NS600 series is actually taken in the UK. The loco is one of a few shipped to the UK and is fitted with........Radio Control, hence the R sign on the bonnet. Some where painted in UK livery. The loading gauge on the continent is larger so the cab and top bonnet roof differs. Not for main lines with low tunnels. Some have come back as they are still in demand...either in service or spares.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
G Scale Graphics in Colorado offer battery conversions modules with radio control and sound.
Yes, much as Tony at RCS used to do. But they aren't a complete kit like the Fosworks, which a beginner can just drop in with no soldering. Fosworks even did the 'bind' of the RX/TX before shipping it! That was what I found so impressive about the Paxton conversion.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, much as Tony at RCS used to do. But they aren't a complete kit like the Fosworks, which a beginner can just drop in with no soldering. Fosworks even did the 'bind' of the RX/TX before shipping it! That was what I found so impressive about the Paxton conversion.
Yes Steve at FOSWORKS is very accommodating and helpful, many of my batteryfications would have been near impossible without some of his sage words. As for Binding, in the old Spoerer and early FOSWORKS days it was a tricky process that was easily got wrong but perseverance usually worked ( after a few arches of the YouTube vid). The new Binding procedure on Fosworks kit is simplicity itself so do I not worry any more about pre binding. In fact with my selecta Tx it would not be practical to have pre binding as I buy further Rx.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. I will be putting the MLS receiver in the cab once I've removed the phoney windows.
Yeah, I've done that with my 'Yeti' and it's a workable solution.

As you know, the MLS remote works on infra-red, and needs direct line-of-sight, but you can still keep the active end more or less out of site. If you were really clever, you might be able to hide it in the loco backhead panel - probably a better suggestion than having it come out of one nostril on Pxton's face :giggle::giggle::giggle:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I put mine in the cab of my Bachman 25Tonner thinking of as as some kind of internal thingmamybob. Works perfectly.
F999F24A-4407-4FEE-9A65-4FC718BDB476.jpeg

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
As for Binding, in the old Spoerer and early FOSWORKS days it was a tricky process that was easily got wrong but perseverance usually worked
I've been using Spectrum and RCS DSM2 TX for years, with no binding issues. They give you a plug, you use it, and remember the sequence, and then it is done forever. Until you buy a new TX (friend of mine bought my Spectrum as his wore out and then realised all his locos would have to be re-bound - and he hadn't made provision for binding when the RX was locked up in the loco.)

I do like having a choice of DSM2 RX suppliers. I have a tiny RX made for a drone, some Orange RX, one of RCS' self-binding RX, and a couple more from odd suppliers. All work fine, whatever Fosworks says about the superiority of their Omni radios. >:)