24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Talking of insects, look what a magpie dropped into our garden
It's about 11/2-2" long. Quite harmless (I think), but it looks bloody fearsome
Is it a stag beetle? Edit; forgot to post the question!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
A bit more work at tea time ....

Fixing the bent timbers....
Bridge Repairs 30.05.22 (1).JPG

Bridge Repairs 30.05.22 (2).JPG
The warp at the far end :banghead: Still, Cross pieces underneath (to support the track) might weell allow me to force it straight wid the aid of a cramp or two!

Bridge Repairs 30.05.22 (3).JPG
And, just to say that the bridge itself was built with a downhill gradient, and the decking also (doubling the fall)!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
As can be see by the above picture, the bridge is still sagging in the middle (am I sagger maker bottom knocking?). Anyway, attempts to replace rotten timberwork at the far end of the bridge caused even more work! I considered rebuilding in aluminium but the cost was too much as I required at least 34 metres of 15x15 angle. Even in aluminium, the nearly 10ft span needed some steel to support everything so I've now bought some 40x40x3mm steel angle to support the wood. I cut the two pieces to exact length, dressed the ends with the angle grinder and a flat file and started giving them a coat of paint. The "outside" has now had two coats and the "inside" one. Once dry, I can turn the steel over again for painting.

Bridge Repairs 07.06.22 (9} (2).JPG
Weather still good, so I might get to finish the painting!

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I managed to get the steel angles in position underneath the bridge and mainly fastened in place. The end, where the new twisted timbers are, still needs to be sorted (different places to clamp, to draw the offending bits into linear conformity) - as does the replacement of damaged struts, etc.

Bridge Repairs 9.6.22 (1).JPG

Bridge Repairs 9.6.22 (2).JPG
Both pics taken after first piece of angle was fitted (didn't know if the weather would hold out). Evidence of more damaged bits of course, plus the offending ends of the new longitudanal timbers can still be seen at the far end of the bridge!

More work to follow (if fine).....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Linear conformity, like that.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I decided to start work early (before the rain comes)! Managed to tame the errant wood using three clamps and then there was the odd drop of rain and dark skies. So I put the tools back in the shed, took a couple of pics and dodged the short shower ......

Bridge Repairs 10.6.22 (3).JPG
I have the cross levels to sort out yet, plus track supports. Then the partial rebuild will commence. Meanwhile, garden things to do ....

Bridge Repairs 10.6.22 (4).JPG
Started yesterday after cutting back a non-fruiting red currant bush (goats got a nice barrow load to eat)! Coffee calls now (well she said it was ready)! Its a hard life - even the sun has come out again. What excuses can I think of?

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Did a little bit more this morning - made a two pair of support legs for the bridge .....

Bridge Repairs 15.2.22 (1).JPG
No the steel isn't bent - just the camera :D
Bridge Repairs 15.2.22 (2).JPG

So, now the bridge is fully supported by the steelwork, and the new timbers either side of the track are bolted to the steel, I can replace rotting timbers timbers without fear of the whole job lot dropping into the pond!

Yesterday I cleaned the tracks on the trailer layout - using wet wipes. I took a piccy of the used wipes ......
Track cleaning.JPG
even though the rail heads looked clean to start with, it's obvious they were not!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
TTaannggss TTaannggss try reading this thread to see how track laying is done.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Did a little bit more this morning - made a two pair of support legs for the bridge .....

View attachment 300205
No the steel isn't bent - just the camera :D
View attachment 300206

So, now the bridge is fully supported by the steelwork, and the new timbers either side of the track are bolted to the steel, I can replace rotting timbers timbers without fear of the whole job lot dropping into the pond!

Yesterday I cleaned the tracks on the trailer layout - using wet wipes. I took a piccy of the used wipes ......
View attachment 300207
even though the rail heads looked clean to start with, it's obvious they were not!
Why you not have an LGB Track Cleaning Block?

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
Worked, yes, but killed every insect they came in contact with (and with DDT, humans too).
In many third world countries the ddt saved many lives that are now lost to malaria and other mosquito born diseases as well.
One more two edged sword..

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
In many third world countries the ddt saved many lives that are now lost to malaria and other mosquito born diseases as well.
One more two edged sword..
Did you know that Ireland is classed as third world, because third world means non-aligned with USA or Russia, though people us it incorrectly, I think the term you are after is developing nations.

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
Did you know that Ireland is classed as third world, because third world means non-aligned with USA or Russia, though people us it incorrectly, I think the term you are after is developing nations.
Po-taa-to Po-ta-to

I am old enough to remember the time before "developing nations" was a tem. :rolleyes:

Is malaria a problem in Ireland?:giggle:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Po-taa-to Po-ta-to

I am old enough to remember the time before "developing nations" was a tem. :rolleyes:

Is malaria a problem in Ireland?:giggle:

It could be if you brought it with you on returning from a holiday :D

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Never given it a thought really!
Will be much easier to get you rail head nice n clean in the trailer for show running. Did a visit to an indoor railway with small locomotives only, track cleaning was with a bright boy (kitchen sponge thing) and rails never truly shiny and clean. LGB block would have done the job, I was going to take mine next time. But there never was a next time as the line was shortly after demolished during a move. Never again to re-appear.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Will be much easier to get you rail head nice n clean in the trailer for show running. Did a visit to an indoor railway with small locomotives only, track cleaning was with a bright boy (kitchen sponge thing) and rails never truly shiny and clean. LGB block would have done the job, I was going to take mine next time. But there never was a next time as the line was shortly after demolished during a move. Never again to re-appear.
I don't have any oxidisation problems with the trailer layout - the wet wipes remove any crud (as can be seen) that develops over a period of six hours continuous running. Out in the garden is a different thing!