trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, is that material sort of like plastic corrugated cardboard ? If so, it's used for temporary signs like political ones here. It's easy to work with, but as you say, needs bracing as it will warp over time in the sun.

Yes it is Dan - used as an internal wall cladding for the likes of bathrooms instead of tiling and slots together (it's hard to see the joints if done properly!). And yes it does need bracing well.

So some more done yesterday...
Freight Depot Rebuild (15).JPG
Freight Depot Rebuild (19).JPG
The basic structure now complete awaiting further reinforcing ......

Freight Depot Rebuild (17).JPG
Freight Depot Rebuild (22).JPG
Freight Depot Rebuild (21).JPG
Freight Depot Rebuild (23).JPG
So, just a couple of vertical angles to put in, and a sliding door to gain access when in use (as per the original stucture) .....

Freight Depot Rebuild (18).JPG

I might add that the control panel only acts as a large connector block, the rotary switches long ago fused in the closed position. The sections could be shut off, or stock reversed. It was, and is, an analogue system (and that describes me!).

Hope to get some more done today!

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, is that material sort of like plastic corrugated cardboard ? If so, it's used for temporary signs like political ones here. It's easy to work with, but as you say, needs bracing as it will warp over time in the sun.
We had road workers outside our house months ago. Last month the signs were still up. Then they were removed by a stranger and hidden in the strangers' shed :think: :think: :think: :devil::devil::devil:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
We had road workers outside our house months ago. Last month the signs were still up. Then they were removed by a stranger and hidden in the strangers' shed :think: :think: :think: :devil::devil::devil:
We put a banner up for the church autumn fair last Saturday - banner and bungees disappeared - I shall come knocking :devil: :devil: :devil:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Did a little more work on the depot - the sliding access door amongst other things ......

Freight Depot Rebuild (25).JPGFreight Depot Rebuild (26).JPG

The L/H of the 'door' is kept in place by the plastic angle stuck to the main structure - whilst, when drawing it open, the R/H angle, which is cemented to the door, is pulled. A piece of uPVC board acts as a guide when closing said 'door',
Freight Depot Rebuild (27).JPG
The guide piece is secured by four stainless steel screws secured through the galvanised angle which supports the door. They were the shortest screws iI had so I had to grind off the points.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yes it is Dan - used as an internal wall cladding for the likes of bathrooms instead of tiling and slots together (it's hard to see the joints if done properly!). And yes it does need bracing well.

So some more done yesterday...
View attachment 292447
View attachment 292448
The basic structure now complete awaiting further reinforcing ......

View attachment 292449
View attachment 292450
View attachment 292451
View attachment 292452
So, just a couple of vertical angles to put in, and a sliding door to gain access when in use (as per the original stucture) .....

View attachment 292453

I might add that the control panel only acts as a large connector block, the rotary switches long ago fused in the closed position. The sections could be shut off, or stock reversed. It was, and is, an analogue system (and that describes me!).

Hope to get some more done today!
Thanks for that info, Mick. I fail to comprehend house such material can hold up to the environment of a bathroom.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that info, Mick. I fail to comprehend house such material can hold up to the environment of a bathroom.
I wonder how many minutes it would last in a kitchen?:D

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder how many minutes it would last in a kitchen?:D
Mick, not wanting to belabor the subject, I would really like to know how such material is applied and how it stands up to the riggers of a bathroom environment. As useful as corrugated plastic is, you hit it with an elbow and it dents or worse. I must sign off now, but look forward to hearing more when I return this afternoon.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, not wanting to belabor the subject, I would really like to know how such material is applied and how it stands up to the riggers of a bathroom environment. As useful as corrugated plastic is, you hit it with an elbow and it dents or worse. I must sign off now, but look forward to hearing more when I return this afternoon.
Well Dan, my son says he used water based wall tile adhesive to stick it to the walls and used clear silicone for all the joints! I've seen the same item in a local Builder's Merchant (when I was trying to find some plastic angle strips for the build - no joy with that). I'll have to take a look next time I'm in there and see if there's any instructions on the wrapping:persevere:

Anyway, at the moment, I'm managing with the strips my son brought (said he hoping). Did some more bits yesterday and will try again today. Pictures later I hope.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Progress ......

Freight Depot Rebuild (29).JPG

The white angle pieces will eventually be painted grey. Next on my agenda will be to fit the dummy windows - mount on the outside (no holes in the walls) I managed to prise out two windows from the wooden frames on the original structure. The windows are made from cast resin and I still have the mould (and spare window) somewhere:wondering: If I can't find what I think I have, I might use a plastic one....
Freight Depot Rebuild (32).JPG
Freight Depot Rebuild (31).JPG
Freight Depot Rebuild (30).JPG
So, I'll see what tomorrow brings!

Last edited:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I keep doing little bits - this time using wood! I use Tongue Depressors ......
Freight Depot Rebuild (34).JPG
When I built the station in 2012, the roof shingles were made from this product - and they are still OK - and I will do the same for the Freight Depot.

Meanwhile, here's what I've made recently ......
Freight Depot Rebuild (33).JPG
I used some uPVC Fascia board offcuts for the framework base. I then treated it with solvent-based wood treatment .....

Freight Depot Rebuild (35).JPG
It's actually made in Whitely Bridge, Yorkshire (didn't know that until I took a pic) but stocked locally in Ballina.

Freight Depot Rebuild (37).JPG
The thin white line around the base is the actual face of the board but the main plastic took the wood treatment well. Now, I have to make the sliding doors (although they'll be glued solid). I found a small sheet of plastic board which is brand new (another purchase that cannot remember carrying out) so I'll see if it takes to being scribed and roughed up - it pretty dense and hard. Mind you, I feel dense these days:D !

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I finally found the piece of plastic - only discovered it a few days ago and already I had forgotten where I found it:banghead: The white, shiny, sheet was roughly A4 in area. It had a protective clear film on one side ....

Freight Depot Rebuild (41).JPG

I cut the doors out as one piece (6" tall x 6.5" wide), and used a knife to scribe the edges of the timber. I then used a saw to scribe the grain, and roughed it all up a little more with a sanding block being careful to mark the horizontals at right angles. I wasn't sure how the scribings would look or visually delineate the 'individual' pieces of timber, so I used a black ball-point pen to highlight everything and drew some knot holes as well. The plastic is about 4mm thick so I had to saw the ends of the cut to make sure all went well in the divorce.

I then seperated the two halves and blasted over with a light coat of paint and left them to dry in the afternoon sun. It had to be light coating anyway as the rattle can was virtually empty!
Freight Depot Rebuild (38).JPG

Once the doors were dry enough to handle, I posed them on the depot front. Now I need to make door furntiture and all the things that external sliding doors need!
Freight Depot Rebuild (39).JPG

So, it's onwards ........................................................... and sideways!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
A little bit more done.....

Freight Depot Rebuild (44).JPG
It's the camera lense (honest!)

Freight Depot Rebuild (45).JPG

Still plenty to do with the doors. Might have to wait to see if the weather gets warmer!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Can I place my order for one now, please? :p:p

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Outstanding...love it

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So, despite the weather, I've being doing a few bits since my last posting .......

Freight Depot Rebuild (47).JPG
Door handles (ex 2.5mm welding rod), door stops, and a drop of paint ....
Freight Depot Rebuild (49).JPG

After that, I've been messing about with windows ......
Freight Depot Rebuild  (52).JPG

I must admit that I have had a few problems keeping the surrounds glued together. I have tried superglue but, as you may notice, the 45 degree joints aren't perfect. I have a cartridge of 3M wood glue which is clear to start with and then goes to an off white colour as it dries. It also expands as part of the process but can be sanded down.

The latter process (of sanding) caused joints to open. In the end, I was getting rather annoyed and decide to nail the joints. I used some old 15mm veneer pins but I had to drill a 1mm hole to enable the pins to start their journey into the wood. Once started, frame into the vice and a pin hammer to drive them in. Drove me mad!

Freight Depot Rebuild  (55).JPG

Then it was rattle can time (after warming the cans in the house). The windows - apart from a small one, are those I cast for the original depot. The only white spray that I had was radiator enamel but it did the job.

Next item to consider was the 'glazing'. I save useful (to me) packing materials and I had some clear plastic which had contained a panel saw. So, out with the third rattle can to paint it black all over (one side of the plastic only!). The paint was matte but that didn't matter! .....
Freight Depot Rebuild  (54).JPG

And the other side became glossy.....
Freight Depot Rebuild  (53).JPG
It was drizzling when I took the pic - honest!

Wish it would get a little warmer!