trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well I've managed to do a little more ......

Freight Depot Rebuild (56).JPG

Freight Depot Rebuild (57).JPG

Some bits of gap filling to do, some more painting, some more detailing, a side door to make - then I might be on top of things (Iike constructing the roof!).

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
And a little bit more ......

I forgot there needed to be a walkway from the doorway I've yet to construct!
Rebuild Dec (1).JPG

Rebuild Dec (4).JPG

The "fence", constructed partly with matchsticks, is from the original building and just needs a repaint!
Rebuild Dec (5).JPG
Since taking the pics I've sanded the board ends and treated the timber. So, door and frame to make today, and then it will be time to consider the roof. I'm having second thoughts about what I will clad the roof with - maybe shingles, maybe a coat of bitumen, maybe some bitumen tape (to represent roofing felt), and maybe re-use the lead from the original building!

Rebuild Dec (2).JPGRebuild Dec (3).JPG

I was going to use the lead guttering (dress it with a tapered roof edge for the shingles) and my further thoughts are that it would add weight to the building and stop it being blown away. Still thinking:rolleyes:!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
And a little bit more ......

I forgot there needed to be a walkway from the doorway I've yet to construct!
View attachment 293128

View attachment 293129

The "fence", constructed partly with matchsticks, is from the original building and just needs a repaint!
View attachment 293130
Since taking the pics I've sanded the board ends and treated the timber. So, door and frame to make today, and then it will be time to consider the roof. I'm having second thoughts about what I will clad the roof with - maybe shingles, maybe a coat of bitumen, maybe some bitumen tape (to represent roofing felt), and maybe re-use the lead from the original building!

View attachment 293131View attachment 293132

I was going to use the lead guttering (dress it with a tapered roof edge for the shingles) and my further thoughts are that it would add weight to the building and stop it being blown away. Still thinking:rolleyes:!
Lead would certainly be the longest lasting thus less maintenance option.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday I did a little bit more ......

I glued the door and frame in position. To make things more secure I pinned the door and window frames using veneer pins (again drilling 1mm dia holes and shortening the 15mm veneer pins). I also glued/filled a vertical gap I accindentally created. Since these pics were taken I have painted the mess to try and blend in. I have the opposite gable end windows to pin (today) and then it will be another coat of paint.
Rebuild Dec (9).JPG

Rebuild Dec (8).JPGRebuild Dec (7).JPG
So there it is - warts and all. I still need to find a suitable filler to seal up the gaps around the windows (and door). Don't want anything too messy to apply!

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday I did a little bit more ......

I glued the door and frame in position. To make things more secure I pinned the door and window frames using veneer pins (again drilling 1mm dia holes and shortening the 15mm veneer pins). I also glued/filled a vertical gap I accindentally created. Since these pics were taken I have painted the mess to try and blend in. I have the opposite gable end windows to pin (today) and then it will be another coat of paint.
View attachment 293203

View attachment 293204View attachment 293205
So there it is - warts and all. I still need to find a suitable filler to seal up the gaps around the windows (and door). Don't want anything too messy to apply!
Have you though about UV glue? Comes out of a small tube and fills quite nicely, clear when applied and set (by the UV lamp) to be painted over happily.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Have you though about UV glue? Comes out of a small tube and fills quite nicely, clear when applied and set (by the UV lamp) to be painted over happily.
H'mm - I have one of those somewhere! I tried some Gorilla glue this morning and left it to set for a couple of hours. When I went out, I wasn't impressed ......
Dec rebuild 13th (2).JPG
Dec rebuild 13th (3).JPG
I tried painting over the glue but it looks so snotty. In the end, I just gave up and attacked the lead roof on the original building.
Dec rebuild 13th (4).JPG

Dec rebuild 13th (8).JPG
I put the new building in its place. Although no rain was promised, I sealed the joints on the rebuild's roof (just in case the forecast was wrong!

Dec rebuild 13th (7).JPG

and a glimpse inside showing my original control panel from 2005 ....Dec rebuild 13th (5).JPG

After a lunch break, I knocked the lead into shape and glued it into position, with the odd pin inserted to stop the lead sliding down. I didn't like the nail holes from the original build so I tried filling them. In the end, I used car underseal to paint over the roof ....
Dec rebuild 13th (9).JPG
Dec rebuild 13th (10).JPG
Dec rebuild 13th (11).JPG

When it dries I'll give it a second coat and maybe tidy up my attempts on sealing the frames. Maybe. However there are still loads of other things required to finish off the rebuild and its' location.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
The weather got the better of me.....

11.01.22 (3).JPG

If you look to the left of the caboose, you'll see the wooden loading bay has suffered from the rain. The wood swelled up and, with linear expansion, popped up. Had to trim two boards by about 3/4 and I used stainless nails (and air nailer) to hold the lot in position. Should have given it more thought!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I just thought I'd add a few pics of trains run since September last year ......

01.10.21 (7).JPG

DSCF0441.JPG

15.10.2115.10.21 (22).JPG

...... more to follow!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Some more .....

15.10.21 (20).JPG

15.10.21 (3).JPG

1st November
Little Rusty 1st Nov. (3).JPG

14th November
Coal Creek Lumber (2).JPG

Coal Creek Lumber (4).JPG

20th
20.11.21 (1).JPG

20th
PCC car (10).JPG

.... and more to come!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Just a pic from yesterday showing progress (or lack of it) on repairing the trestles.......

Railway Repairs 28.01.22 (1).JPG

I've started on the drive side, trying to get the curve round sorted. Next, I'll return to the 'inside'. I was going to make the bents on the workbench (yes, I have found the bench!) but decided to do it as my original method. Now putting a screw in the end of the uprights to let the timber dry out. The main decline in condition of the original structure was due to the timbers being hammered into the ground and slowly rotting away. For the timbers going into softer ground, I've just put a short length of 3/4" copper pipe on the base.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Back to some pics of trains running......

23rd of November. 2021
DSCF0603.JPG

28th ...
Sunday 28.11.21 (10).JPG

30th....
DSCF0628.JPG

December 12th, 2021.....
Dec 12 2021 (1).JPG

12th...Dec 12th 2021 (5).JPG

...... and more to follow!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Lots of good photos, Mick, but the one on 23rd November is superb.
Thank you!

Well, I've spent an hour and a half outside, temperature OK (at least 10c), but the mist rolling down off the Ox Mounbtain is wet - so I put the tools away and came in.

Here's anothe pic or two from December 2021 .....

16th ...
Dec 16th 2021 (1).JPG
Dec 18th 2021 (1).JPG

19th
Dec 19th 2021 (4).JPG

22nd
Dec 22nd (11).JPG

29th
Dec 29th 2021 (9).JPG

31st
31st Dec 2021 (9).JPG

And that's 2021's trains. Next, of course, will be 2022 ......

Last edited:

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, is that a hand-made crossing (bespoke?) on the track that goes under the trestle?
Yes it is. When I first started building the line it was a triangular junction and mainly single track. I had the idea of making it a tramway but then I doubled the track, discovered the Bachmann Big Haulers, and the rest is history!

Phase One (18).jpg

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So a few pics starting in this new year ....

New Year's Day
Jan 1st, 2022 (8).JPG

Jan 9th
Jan 9th, 2022 (1).JPG

Jan 11th
11.01.22 (1).JPG
more later.....

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So, now is later! .....

14th of Jan - loco on test ....
DSCF0770.JPG

15th - I'm always in the dark when it comes to photography! .....
15.01.22 AM (3).JPG

Later that day ......
15.01.22 PM (5).JPG

15.01.22 PM (6).JPG

16th
DSCF0791.JPG
.... and yes - the tender's transfer was applied incorrectly at the factory! Still,I bought it to repaint! Wonder where the wheelbarrow full of Round-tuits is?

So tht's it for train operation in January (for the moment) but this is for the cats' entertainment ......
10.01.22 model cats (1).JPG

.... and, you never know there could be some new pics!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
A little more progress (moved on a few feet since the 27th) .....

Trestle Rebuild (1).JPG
Daffys are getting ready to burst into colour and are getting in the way so I have thread the timbers through the clusters!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
More work done today ....
Trestle Rebuild 3.2.22 (1).JPG
The drive side of the trestle is nearly there, but the other side needs a lot more horizontal timbers to match the outside, plus more horizontals on the bents are still required .....
Trestle Rebuild 3.2.22 (3).JPG

.... and an overall view.
Trestle Rebuild 3.2.22 (2).JPG

Even after the section pictured is completed, there is a lot more trestle work (curves) which is hidden almost by the shrubbery!

However, I had to run a (short) train - even though the track needs to be sorted - and all was OK.
3.2.22 (1).JPG

3.2.22 (2).JPG

3.2.22 (3).JPG
You can see the curved sections above.

3.2.22 (5).JPG
Even the bridge needs some maintenance!