Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
More work done today ....
View attachment 294982
The drive side of the trestle is nearly there, but the other side needs a lot more horizontal timbers to match the outside, plus more horizontals on the bents are still required .....
View attachment 294983

.... and an overall view.
View attachment 294984

Even after the section pictured is completed, there is a lot more trestle work (curves) which is hidden almost by the shrubbery!

However, I had to run a (short) train - even though the track needs to be sorted - and all was OK.
View attachment 294985

View attachment 294986

View attachment 294987
You can see the curved sections above.

View attachment 294988
Even the bridge needs some maintenance!
Mick, did you not have a wheeled bridge over your drive or am I thinking if someone else?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, did you not have a wheeled bridge over your drive or am I thinking if someone else?

Hi Jon - this? .....

Under Repair  (8).JPG
It's hinged at the pivot point and has the drop down wheels at the opposite end. In winter, because of the need to put the car in the garage I usually leave it open.

DSCF9764.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I've been searching for the bits of tramway related modelling and have finally found some pics;-

Garden Railway (45).jpg

Garden Railway (16).jpg
Garden Railway (19).jpg
Garden Railway (31).jpg
Garden Railway (64).jpg

My Kitson (Leeds) tram engine. An Aristocraft power bogie, cardboard tube from a bathroom requisite, and so on. Must finish it off - the condensor is missing (still) from the roof!

The double deck trailer (of which, the prototype had seen its' form changed from single deck to double deck in real life) .....
Garden Railway (213).jpg

The build .....
Garden Railway (208).jpg
Garden Railway (209).jpg

...... more to follow later

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
..... and more model tramway pics...

Garden Railway (220).jpg
(all pics down to my usual (sub) standard!

Garden Railway (214).jpg

Garden Railway (224).jpg

Garden Railway (225).jpg

Garden Railway (216).jpg

I have done more work on the trailer since these images were made!

More to follow (if I can remember where the relatives pics are!)......

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
...... and this is what turned me to G Scale!

img20220206_05132224.jpg

I cannot find any images of the tram I built nearly sixty years ago, but you can see the similarity between the Stephenson (U.S.) built trams and the Bachmann J & S cars!

Garden Railway (191).jpg
You might notice the green traction pole was the start of my intentions! I made a bracket arm pole too - and I probably still have them both somewhere. The triangular junction was also intended as a reversing one for the steam tram and trailer without the need to uncouple (of course). Bradford Tramways & Omnibus Co. had a runaway trailer whilst using a passing loop changeover!

More to follow (as usual)....

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A great trip into your modelling past, Mick, and as a former Leeds resident some familiar names there on the trams.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Us Leeds Loiners have a lot of memories!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I eventually removed the truck from the open cross bench car and made it into a trailer - again virtually prototypical of the Roundhay electric line ....

DSCF3047.JPG

DSCF3049.JPG

The power truck was placed under a Birney car that I printed! When I say printed, it was basically inkjet prints on glossy paper which I used to cover the wooden, shaped, model. I can't find the photos yet, and I may still have the 'model' - will have to search!

I also have one or two more B'mann cars I acquired off evil bay. Will have to dig them out too! I have run a maintence tram using LGB stock.

The rest of my modelling (scratch building) is mainly railway related or roadside tramway stuff! I like the unusal!

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
...... and this is what turned me to G Scale!

View attachment 295088
Geese oh, that reminds about the tiny flat/bedsit I stayed in just down the hill from the park while working in Leeds, from memory they had some strange habits there such as gravy on fish n chips.

Thanks for sharing the photo, the trolley pole base looks interesting.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Geese oh, that reminds about the tiny flat/bedsit I stayed in just down the hill from the park while working in Leeds, from memory they had some strange habits there such as gravy on fish n chips.

To say nothing of curry sauce and (batter) scraps, sometimes referred to as bits.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

The only time I came across gravy and chips was in Lancashire ! I've some more pics to follow!

To say nothing of curry sauce and (batter) scraps, sometimes referred to as bits.

Don't like curry but scraps were something else! You went into the Fish oil (shop) and ask "how much is a bag a' scraps?" - "Oh the're free!". Reet, a'hl have a bag o'them!". Sometimes you'd get some!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
..... and there's more......

DSCF0826.JPGDSCF0827.JPG
The Berlin car (I think) was bought from a Forum member, whilst the open car (based on the B'mann one) was an ebay purchase.

DSCF0828.JPGDSCF0829.JPG

And the Birney - a real cut and paste jobbie .....
DSCF0822.JPGDSCF0824.JPGDSCF0823.JPG
All above pics taken this morning!

I designed some coloured top lights and clerestory ones (to be printed on clear pastic) a few moons ago!
Col Window.jpg

And this is a picture of my first Rounday car and a model of Leeds 602 (or was it 601?) see in the window of the farmhouse we lived in 50 years ago!
Leeds 1st and last..png

more pics to follow later of what ran on tramways or railways - all was not what it seemed!

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I'm interested to know how you printed on clear plastic, I tried it once at work, thankfully no one realised what was actually being printed and I got away with almost destroying a printer, the plastic sheet came out looking as though someone had held a hair drier far too close for too long on the highest setting.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I'm interested to know how you printed on clear plastic, I tried it once at work, thankfully no one realised what was actually being printed and I got away with almost destroying a printer, the plastic sheet came out looking as though someone had held a hair drier far too close for too long on the highest setting.
I didn't print it out because my printer is an inkjet one. I was going to use those clear sheets used for Overhead projectors but it needed a lazer printer!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I didn't print it out because my printer is an inkjet one. I was going to use those clear sheets used for Overhead projectors but it needed a lazer printer!
Oh that sounds like a plan, must ask my local friendly print shop about that.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
..... and there's more......

View attachment 295147View attachment 295148
The Berlin car (I think) was bought from a Forum member, whilst the open car (based on the B'mann one) was an ebay purchase.

View attachment 295149View attachment 295150

And the Birney - a real cut and paste jobbie .....
View attachment 295151View attachment 295152View attachment 295153
All above pics taken this morning!

I designed some coloured top lights and clerestory ones (to be printed on clear pastic) a few moons ago!
View attachment 295154

And this is a picture of my first Rounday car and a model of Leeds 602 (or was it 601?) see in the window of the farmhouse we lived in 50 years ago!
View attachment 295155

more pics to follow later of what ran on tramways or railways - all was not what it seemed!

Like Santa, that motorman gets around.....:rofl::rofl:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
You need specific lazer printer sheets.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Right, glad that's cleared up!:D Now back to tramway (or railway) stuff! .......

Gun carriages.png
Bradford and elsewhere. Trams were used for all sorts of things!

Funeral tram.jpg
"It wasn't the cough that carried him off, it was the coffin they carried him off in" Funeral Tram!

More to follow .....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Right, glad that's cleared up!:D Now back to tramway (or railway) stuff! .......

View attachment 295201

View attachment 295203
"It wasn't the cough that carried him off, it was the coffin they carried him off in" Funeral Tram!

More to follow .....
Strange, you would have thought the trams' dead centre would be in the middle :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 295201

View attachment 295203

More to follow .....
My Mum and Dad always used to repeat that line when passing through Corfe Castle en route to Swanage. But saying Corfe instead of Cough.