Ox Mountain Railway

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Country flag
Dandylions aside, yesterday turned out to be nice (weather that is), so I decided to test a train. James the red engine hadn't seen daylight for over three years so out he came. Annie & Clarabell (now bogie coaches) were attached and off they went "roundy, roundy". All OK so I went to check on the goats and give them their evening treat. All still OK on the railway before I decided enough was enough and put them to bed.

Yes, the two coaches were surprised to see where they'd been!
DSCF0397.JPG

But the matter was soon rectified
DSCF0401.JPG

A close-up running at speed - a bit of a blur really..
DSCF0398.JPG

And the last circuit round at (around) 6.00pm!
DSCF0404.JPG

And all without the rails being cleaned!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Country flag
H'mm - a week since I ran something or did something with the line! But I did a bit of experimenting yesterday. The treated wood for the replacement trestles has been stood outside for some time now. The wood is to build the replacement trestles. Apart from wood rot, fastenings also rust away, so I ordered some stainless steel screws to eliminate that particular problem. The original, now decaying, structures were mainly nailed with an air nailer but I could find the right length 18g stainless nails - hence the screws.

An area of decay is the foot of the uprights/bents so I thought I'd insert a stainless screw in the bottom end so that it might support the wood and there'd be a gap to help prevent moisture meing absorbed by the legs. I'd done something similar with the wooden legs supporting the new baseboards.

The other thing that occurred to me was that inserting a screw in the end of the 3/4" square timber might cause the wood to split. I had some copper pipe offcuts in the shed so I thought making some ferrules out of it might solve the assumed problem -

DSCF0406.JPG

DSCF0407.JPG

So the bottom pic is looking down at the end of the timber. To make it easier to drive the timber into the ferrule, I just tapered off the corners, placed the ferrule on the concrete floor and drove the wood in. Stanley knife to trim any resulting splinters and Bob's your uncle (he wasn't mine)!

Because the timbers will each make two legs, its just a matter of fitting the ferrules to either end and cutting the timber to size as required. I'll also dip the ends in non-water based treatment before I start using them.

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Yup, I forget the statistic but a timber end grain absorbs significantly more moister than side grain. It's quite a big number, which is why, even with treated timber, it's worth applying some sort of end sealer - you used to be able to by Enseal; geddit?

Many moons ago, when I was out of work, I was assisting a chippy mate f mine repairing the bottom edges of garage / barn doors at the home of Michael Nicholson the news broadcaster (that's how desperate I am for a claim to fame).

My mate was a joiner, in fact a musical instrument maker, and not a site chippy, and he looked down his nose a bit when I insisted that we prime the ends of the new pieces of wood before fixing. He went along with it OK after I'd explained.

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Country flag
Yup, I forget the statistic but a timber end grain absorbs significantly more moister than side grain. It's quite a big number, which is why, even with treated timber, it's worth applying some sort of end sealer ...
Yes, it's highly recommended ... and I do it, so it must be right, right? :rofl:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Country flag
Nothing much to report really - except a finger slippage in July which has finally entered my grubby hands -

DSCF0433.JPG
I'd always fancied an Aristocraft station building and I saw this for sale described as a house! What's more, it was just under £30 + plus a nominal sum for P & P! Wow! I thought so I clicked on the post and bought it. From then on, our life changed forever. Our youngest son, who's house I was having it posted to, died on the 24th of July. Anyway, the parcel never arrived for nearly two month!

Then my son's partner got a message from a neighbour saying the postie had dropped a parcel off with them because there was no one at her house. It turned out to be the above object. I did the decent thing and contacted the seller with a view to repaying him (I had received a full refund because of the non-delivery). He said forget about it, I've claimed off Royal Mail! So it costed me nothing!

It does serve as a reminder of my late son - I was talking to him about the delivery on the Wednesday of the week he departed. It was the last time I spoke to him (we had great craic - laughing and joking about each others problems!) so I think the little station will be called Adriansville in his memory!

Just three more pics showing all aspects-

DSCF0434.JPG DSCF0435.JPG DSCF0436.JPG

I have a location in mind, so need to get my posterior in to gear!

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
A fitting tribute, that will no doubt raise a tear, and smile, in the future?

PhilP

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag
Nothing much to report really - except a finger slippage in July which has finally entered my grubby hands -

View attachment 290992
I'd always fancied an Aristocraft station building and I saw this for sale described as a house! What's more, it was just under £30 + plus a nominal sum for P & P! Wow! I thought so I clicked on the post and bought it. From then on, our life changed forever. Our youngest son, who's house I was having it posted to, died on the 24th of July. Anyway, the parcel never arrived for nearly two month!

Then my son's partner got a message from a neighbour saying the postie had dropped a parcel off with them because there was no one at her house. It turned out to be the above object. I did the decent thing and contacted the seller with a view to repaying him (I had received a full refund because of the non-delivery). He said forget about it, I've claimed off Royal Mail! So it costed me nothing!

It does serve as a reminder of my late son - I was talking to him about the delivery on the Wednesday of the week he departed. It was the last time I spoke to him (we had great craic - laughing and joking about each others problems!) so I think the little station will be called Adriansville in his memory!

Just three more pics showing all aspects-

View attachment 290993 View attachment 290994 View attachment 290995

I have a location in mind, so need to get my posterior in to gear!
I have two Aristocraft stations, similar to yours. They were purchased only a couple-three years ago. I must say they are quite sturdy. Probably owing to the fact they factory built. They are just detailed enough, in my opinion, for a garden railway at ground level.

My Pola structures, though very robust, have lost all of their fine details over time.