trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
While the track is off perhaps a change of colour to black or even dark brown for the bridge may help?

Yes brown would be OK - I was going to fix some treated timber to either side so the brown would fit in!

I like the r2s Mick;),just a thought that if you made it a covered bridge on the curve you would need quite a clearance for cab roof and pilot on the BH locos to clear but I assume you would have thought of that already:D.

Indeed I had thought of it Neil - I did plonk the BL loco on after I'd put the R2s back in the shed .....

Clearance Bodge  _9_.JPG

..... it's all about the swept path. I'm off out to cut the track and insert the two curves - and then do as Jon suggests with a colour change!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So, it was out with the cordless angle grinder and a slitting disc. With the cutout section moved away...

Clearance Bodge _14_.JPG

...... the metal "tray" was treated to a piece of wood either side and then a change of colour to black (rattle can undercoat). When dry, it was repositioned and the R2 curves fitted using clamps......

Clearance Bodge _12_.JPG

Clearance Bodge _13_.JPG

So that does look better and shows how manky the remaining timbers look :banghead:! More work I suppose!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
the metal "tray" was treated to a piece of wood either side and then a change of colour to black (rattle can undercoat)
It surprises me how much difference this makes. Good one!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I see it's 3 months since I posted anything on my thread :banghead:. Reason could be that I'd nothing much to report! Apart from running the odd train, or bodging temporary repairs to the trestles, that about sums up my activities. Latest train to run was to test out my latest fleabay finger slip - a South Pacific Coast Baggage car;-

26.07.20 _10_.JPG

So that went OK but there was just one little niggle with the consist - two of the passenger cars had the same fleet number! So, I thought, I can change the number on one. To do this I could use the self-adhesive vinyl and stick the 'new' numbers over the offending ones.

Simples? I found a font that was the nearest to that printed on the coaches. I didn't want to scratch off the original numbers so I printed the new number on a coloured background...

DSCW0004.JPG

I printed five of the numbers just in case I made a mess out of cutting them out - which I did. I tried my best to matck the coach colour but I knew I couldn't - hence the red border around the oval. The fine cutting blade, a bunch of fingers like a banana bunch, poor close-up eyesight were all contributory factors (or my excuses).

So that didn't work! Then I changed the shape to a rectangle and increased the border line weight. Cutting was easy and I went over the cut edges with a red marker pen (all this after I'd sealed the prints with the spluttery remnants of clear varnish rattle can). Then applied them on one side...

DSCW0001.JPG
DSCW0002.JPG

So, they stand out like a sore thumb! The font nearest to the original is slighty Italicised but, otherwise, it is similar. The background sticks out like a sore thumb:banghead:

So it's back to the drawing board (come back MS Picture It 7).

No apologies for the poor pics - didn't know they were that bad until posting. At least they down to my usual (sub) standard!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So it seems as though I haven't posted in my thread for 5 months! So I'll just try and catch up with a few pics.

07.08.20  (2).JPG
Shrubbery trimmed (early August).

07.08.20  (6).JPG

07.08.20  (5).JPG

07.08.20  (8).JPG

15.07.20  (1).JPG

26.07.20 (2).JPG

15.07.20  (7).JPG

26.07.20 (4).JPG

More to follow...

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
So nice to see some good moments from last year.
And all done without supervision, Mick. How did you get away with that?!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So nice to see some good moments from last year.
And all done without supervision, Mick. How did you get away with that?!

I think Mae must have been asleep after catching Pygmy Shrews!

Well I'll continue with a few more pics...

DSCF0816.JPG

DSCF0821.JPG

DSCF0824.JPG

DSCF0823.JPG

And that was October done with!

And finally to the end of the year....
30.12.20  (2).JPG

30.12.20  (3).JPG

I've actually made a New Year's Resolution - I must do more with my railways!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So New Year's day saw me run two trains - one in the trailer and one in garden. The trailer because it was raining and the garden because the rain had paused.

Photography wasn't easy (never is for me) because I could only open two of the shutters to take pics from the outside...
01.01.21 AM  (1).JPG

Leaning over the end screen to take a pic of the inside from the outside :)
01.01.21 AM  (4).JPG

In the afternoon, my Santa Fe ensemble made one or two circuits before the clouds began to dribble again.....
01.01.21 PM  (1).JPG

You can always tell if the Aristo coaches came from a set (simulated curtains on the windows) or were seperate boxed items. The latter would have a working stove (smokewise) and track pick-up the power which included interior lighting. So mine had been from a set...
01.01.21 PM  (2).JPG

01.01.21 PM  (3).JPG

Stations starting to decay (like the rest of the outside wooden stuff) - so that's another job to list!
01.01.21 PM  (5).JPG

So that's my resolution starting to be honoured.

More when I can get out there!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
That decaying woodwork on the station is what you call weathering, Mick.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Anyway, to get back on track, I admire your constructions on the OMR, and a stiff toothbrush (or wire brush) followed by fresh paint will work wonders :)