Ox Mountain Railway

trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
20,919
71
Co. Mayo
While the track is off perhaps a change of colour to black or even dark brown for the bridge may help?
Yes brown would be OK - I was going to fix some treated timber to either side so the brown would fit in!

I like the r2s Mick;),just a thought that if you made it a covered bridge on the curve you would need quite a clearance for cab roof and pilot on the BH locos to clear but I assume you would have thought of that already:D.
Indeed I had thought of it Neil - I did plonk the BL loco on after I'd put the R2s back in the shed .....

Clearance Bodge _9_.JPG


..... it's all about the swept path. I'm off out to cut the track and insert the two curves - and then do as Jon suggests with a colour change!
 
Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
33,427
59
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
20,919
71
Co. Mayo
So, it was out with the cordless angle grinder and a slitting disc. With the cutout section moved away...

Clearance Bodge _14_.JPG


...... the metal "tray" was treated to a piece of wood either side and then a change of colour to black (rattle can undercoat). When dry, it was repositioned and the R2 curves fitted using clamps......

Clearance Bodge _12_.JPG


Clearance Bodge _13_.JPG


So that does look better and shows how manky the remaining timbers look :banghead:! More work I suppose!!!!
 
Jasper

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
239
52
The Netherlands
the metal "tray" was treated to a piece of wood either side and then a change of colour to black (rattle can undercoat)
It surprises me how much difference this makes. Good one!
 
trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
20,919
71
Co. Mayo
I see it's 3 months since I posted anything on my thread :banghead:. Reason could be that I'd nothing much to report! Apart from running the odd train, or bodging temporary repairs to the trestles, that about sums up my activities. Latest train to run was to test out my latest fleabay finger slip - a South Pacific Coast Baggage car;-

26.07.20 _10_.JPG


So that went OK but there was just one little niggle with the consist - two of the passenger cars had the same fleet number! So, I thought, I can change the number on one. To do this I could use the self-adhesive vinyl and stick the 'new' numbers over the offending ones.

Simples? I found a font that was the nearest to that printed on the coaches. I didn't want to scratch off the original numbers so I printed the new number on a coloured background...

DSCW0004.JPG


I printed five of the numbers just in case I made a mess out of cutting them out - which I did. I tried my best to matck the coach colour but I knew I couldn't - hence the red border around the oval. The fine cutting blade, a bunch of fingers like a banana bunch, poor close-up eyesight were all contributory factors (or my excuses).

So that didn't work! Then I changed the shape to a rectangle and increased the border line weight. Cutting was easy and I went over the cut edges with a red marker pen (all this after I'd sealed the prints with the spluttery remnants of clear varnish rattle can). Then applied them on one side...

DSCW0001.JPG

DSCW0002.JPG


So, they stand out like a sore thumb! The font nearest to the original is slighty Italicised but, otherwise, it is similar. The background sticks out like a sore thumb:banghead:

So it's back to the drawing board (come back MS Picture It 7).

No apologies for the poor pics - didn't know they were that bad until posting. At least they down to my usual (sub) standard!
 
  • Like
Reactions: mike