Outdoor 12 volt power

WilsonBo

Registered
24 May 2022
Kent, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi

I want to light the buildings on my garden railway. LEDs are the obvious way to go and I am inclined to use a 3S 11.1V LiPo for ease and hopefully infrequent charging. I have got a mains supply reasonably close, but I would like to avoid trying cables if possible.

My questions are whether any one has experience of this sort of set-up, and if so what they might recommend as
a) a weatherproof battery box
b) weatherproof switching, either manual or remote control if possible!
c) reliable, weatherproof wiring connectors.

The interiors of my buildings are dry but no doubt humid, so I will want to protect the wiring and connections inside them as well.

All advice gratefully received

Cheers

Wilson

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I would look at DIY shops and look for an IP65/66 enclosure that meets your requirements, however, plan for water to get inside and design accordingly, i.e. drain holes at the lowest point, raised of the ground and anything in the enclosure not sitting on the bottom. This is how I managed my 18 Volt supply outside, and the principle can be adapted for battery use.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
The following item as linked below is a new replacement alternative to Schneider products that are in use on my own garden railway, examples provided as sources for further or alternative information.

VIMARK 10-ENTRY RECTANGULAR JUNCTION BOX WITH KNOCKOUTS 118MM X 76MM X 158MM

Junction Boxes.jpg

Junction Box 1.jpg

These are used along with the Wago Connectors for the 18V Ring Main (Alexa, Voice or the App for activation) for the layout and garden lights.
WAGO 32A MULTI-PURPOSE JUNCTION BOX 39 X 39 X 44MM GREY (790KJ)

WAGO 32A 2/3/5 WAY LEVER CONNECTOR various pack sizes

The following as an example for remote On/Off.
433MHz DC12V Relay 1CH Wireless RF Garage Door Remote Control Switch Transmitter

Should humidity be an issue?
1g Packets of Silica Gel Sachets Desiccant Pouches Granules

Last edited:

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
This refers to how I got 12V and 5V out into my garden.
Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery more suitable and safer than LiPo.

I use 12mm poly irrigation pipe to run my wiring outside mainly because;
it is cheap and readily available
designed to go into the ground
and the fittings are waterproof, a little silicone put on the fitting before sliding into pipe increases water resistance.

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
If you are running with 24Volt AC on the line (when using a digital layout) you do not have to use battery powered lights. You can take the power directly from the rail next to the housings.
You can buy 24 Volt LED lights that have all necessary electronic stuff build in.

Gerard

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Hi

I want to light the buildings on my garden railway. LEDs are the obvious way to go and I am inclined to use a 3S 11.1V LiPo for ease and hopefully infrequent charging. I have got a mains supply reasonably close, but I would like to avoid trying cables if possible.

My questions are whether any one has experience of this sort of set-up, and if so what they might recommend as
a) a weatherproof battery box
b) weatherproof switching, either manual or remote control if possible!
c) reliable, weatherproof wiring connectors.

The interiors of my buildings are dry but no doubt humid, so I will want to protect the wiring and connections inside them as well.

All advice gratefully received

Cheers

Wilson
There's plenty of good products on the market. Just ensure you get the highest IP rated equipment you can.
1700027226462.png
IP66 is probably the best for you, I think 7 & 8 may be a bit extreme.

WilsonBo

Registered
24 May 2022
Kent, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The following item as linked below is a new replacement alternative to Schneider products that are in use on my own garden railway, examples provided as sources for further or alternative information.

VIMARK 10-ENTRY RECTANGULAR JUNCTION BOX WITH KNOCKOUTS 118MM X 76MM X 158MM

View attachment 320772

View attachment 320773

These are used along with the Wago Connectors for the 18V Ring Main (Alexa, Voice or the App for activation) for the layout and garden lights.
WAGO 32A MULTI-PURPOSE JUNCTION BOX 39 X 39 X 44MM GREY (790KJ)

WAGO 32A 2/3/5 WAY LEVER CONNECTOR various pack sizes

The following as an example for remote On/Off.
433MHz DC12V Relay 1CH Wireless RF Garage Door Remote Control Switch Transmitter

Should humidity be an issue?
1g Packets of Silica Gel Sachets Desiccant Pouches Granules
Thank you.
The remote control looks exactly like the sort of thing I was thinking of.

WilsonBo

Registered
24 May 2022
Kent, UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you are running with 24Volt AC on the line (when using a digital layout) you do not have to use battery powered lights. You can take the power directly from the rail next to the housings.
You can buy 24 Volt LED lights that have all necessary electronic stuff build in.

Gerard
Thank you, but my track is unpowered, running battery powered locos and (hopefully) ultimately live steam.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you, but my track is unpowered, running battery powered locos and (hopefully) ultimately live steam.
You could still use the track as a bus in that case....

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
I am using small lipo batteries for playmobile locs. The batteries each have an electric circuit to prevent the danger of overloading. As extra measure i installed USB connections for the loafing cables using usb 5volt as the only possible option ( since there is an usb connector).
This works very well , even for the kids themselves.

Gerard

Attachments

• IMG_7475.jpeg
    IMG_7475.jpeg
    366 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7457.jpeg
    IMG_7457.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7438.jpeg
    IMG_7438.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7435.jpeg
    IMG_7435.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
What has not been mentioned is a Solar panel and rechargeable battery setup, a say £30ish option with the Solar inside the shed by a south facing window should last many years. Running the LED’s to the garden perhaps with modified wiring to change a bought ootion.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
When using multiple leds in a building you can use them connected in series. I have 3 of the 20ma 3 volt leds in series and I control the current via the Cl2N3 regulator and can tie these to 12 or 24 volts DC as the cl2n3 limits current to 20ma thus giving max led light. This device is like having a variable resistor that works on its own!!
This cl2n3 can regulate current to 20ma up to 90 volts.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag