Other source models for LGB Porter's motor block?

Lylat1an

Registered
8 Nov 2020
Graham, WA
Best answers
Country flag
I'm curious whether another, possibly less expensive, LGB model might use the same motor block as their Porters.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I think the Otto block is the same, or at least very similar.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
I think the Otto block is the same, or at least very similar.
Hi,
The 3 'toy train' locos (Otto / OHO / TT / Atlas / Circus loco etc.) Porter saddle tank and the extremely toy like little red / blue diesel all shared the same chassis / motor block.
However, some of the Porters had their bottom cover screws in a straight line as opposed to the other locos which were in a rectangle pattern.
You can still swap the chassis / motor blocks, but you may need to swap the bottom cover.
Bear in mind that the 'toy train' locos were DC only with no sound, Later porters have had other options added.
Also look out for the country of origin. the far eastern versions were made of a less robust plastic than the original german ones.
I've swapped, chopped and kitbashed several of these loco chassis / motor block without much of an issue.
NB; there were two types of gears used as well. Fine and coarse tooth. Worth checking that if you need to replace cogs or wheelsets.
Hope this helps. (I am informed that the fine toothed gears were mostly used on the locos produced in the far east, as were the porters with the metal hand rails.)
Paul.
1611829695350.png1611829907305.png1611829740865.png1611829823539.png

Last edited:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
LGB porters used 2 different motors, one was round the other had 2 flat sides (hard to find and the same part number as the flat motor).
Also 2 different gears, one was like the stainz, the other had approz. half the teeth of the Stainz type motor.