Orient Express Rolling Stock

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
In anticipation of the reinstatement of Orient Express through services to Istanbul later this summer (albeit via a new route from Hemsby in Norfolk using the North Sea Tunnel) the HVR workshops have been busy refurbishing appropriate coaching stock. Last year's acquisition of an ex-SNCF Mikado prompted the purchase of several coaches, some of which are already in a serviceable condition. Four 1st class Pullmans (two of which require a repaint) are being joined by a baggage car and Pullman Restaurant car. The work on the baggage car was completed this morning and the restaurant in well on the way. Before and after photos show what can be achieved with the minimum of expense. Paint used is Plastikote high gloss Royal Blue (mine came from B&M at £3.99 for a 400ml rattlecan). The Pullman crests and oval windows were produced from photos of the real thing and the colour fine tuned in windows photo gallery until a match was found. They were then ink-jet printed onto thin adhesive labels and after application the whole lot was sprayed with Humbrol matt acrylic lacquer. They don't look too bad from a distance of a few feet so I am quite pleased with the result.
prebuilt baggage.jpg
rebuilt baggage.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work Mike.

I look forward to seeing the completed train with the Mikado at the head....

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
neat - nice paint job

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice indeed Mike

They seem to have various blues. Is this what you used?

Plasti-kote 21112 400ml Premium Spray Paint Gloss - Royal Blue

Am wondering whether this would do for B&O aka Bando Blue too, probably a bit deeper/darker than your pics.

Another mike

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice indeed Mike

They seem to have various blues. Is this what you used?

Plasti-kote 21112 400ml Premium Spray Paint Gloss - Royal Blue

Am wondering whether this would do for B&O aka Bando Blue too, probably a bit deeper/darker than your pics.

Another mike
Hi other Mike. Just had a look at the can but can't find any of those numbers on it. The tin says Gloss Super spray paint and the bar code on the back is 0 071915 011092. Will try and add a photo to the bottom of the can. As for the colour, it's very rich and bright straight from the can but the matt lacquer both dulls and darkens it considerably which is what I was going for. It's not too far off the LGB all blue voiture salon first class coach.
IMG_20160202_184008.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I thought they were more 'purple' than 'blue'? - Or am I getting confused with the similar, but different ?Glacier? set ??

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I thought they were more 'purple' than 'blue'? - Or am I getting confused with the similar, but different ?Glacier? set ??
Update for other Mike and Phil. Visited B&M again today to buy more paint as I have a plan to convert some Bachmann coaches to clerestory sleepers with enclosed vestibules to increase the train. The cans this time have a small label which reads 1134 Royal Blue RAL 5003 with a different barcode of 0 07915 011344. The 20% discount offer is still on which equates to £3.99 instead of £4.99. I have included a photo below showing the three different blues I have in the rake at the moment. The top (Golden Mountain Express) coach has a considerably darker blue than the other two so I had planned to replace the lower panel with spares from Modell-Land to bring it more in line with the rest. I was a little reluctant to destroy the original GME panel as there may be a market to recoup some of the cost.I couldn't locate one of my BachmaP1040210.JPG nn B&Os to include as a comparison. I also have an RhB MOB pullman in green and cream which will probably be treated to a respray.

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Many Thanks Mike, very interesting.

I was actually looking to match Aristo's interpretation of B&O and struggling to find anything:

DSCF3828 S.jpg

Was looking at RAL 5000 Violet Blue in the Revell range that must be some way away from RAL 5003!

Looks like I will just have to try them. I already excluded Humbrol Royal Blue and two Tamiya blues.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Many Thanks Mike, very interesting.

I was actually looking to match Aristo's interpretation of B&O and struggling to find anything:

View attachment 207183

Was looking at RAL 5000 Violet Blue in the Revell range that must be some way away from RAL 5003!

Looks like I will just have to try them. I already excluded Humbrol Royal Blue and two Tamiya blues.
If you pm me your address I'll spray a piece of plasticard with both original gloss and matt lacquer finishes side by side and send it for you to see in the flesh.

Reactions: 1 users

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant!

Many Thanks that would be really helpful, will do.

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
If you pm me your address I'll spray a piece of plasticard with both original gloss and matt lacquer finishes side by side and send it for you to see in the flesh.

Mike was as good as his word and sent me a beautifully produced sample swatch (?!?) that is really helpful.

Thank you to both Mike and GSC.

mike

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice work, Mike.

If anyone wants to compare different shades of a RAL colour, it is only necessary to query on RAL followed by the colour number and then click on images to get the range for comparison. The link below shows what a search on RAL 5000 brought up.

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_20160406_181126.JPG IMG_20160406_180944.JPG IMG_20160406_181033.JPG Kong hours at work prevented any noticeable progress recently. Had rare day all to myself and managed to get on with some interior detail for the restaurant car. Tables now sport a white finish to represent tablecloths. Vases have been manufactured from mother of pearl finish peardrop beads and have had a Britain's rose and sprig of greenery inserted courtesy of the Floral Garden range. Miniature menus have been produced from my own example. A range of crockery with edibles await painting. 5p piece gives an indication of size.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Amazing work, Mike. Initially, I thought the first photo with was a real life one, until I read on and saw the reference to the 5p piece.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice work, Mike.

If anyone wants to compare different shades of a RAL colour, it is only necessary to query on RAL followed by the colour number and then click on images to get the range for comparison. The link below shows what a search on RAL 5000 brought up.

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp

Interesting link, Thanks. I have added it to the 'LINKS' section.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Dinner is served!
IMG_20160406_211542.JPG

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
And how would you like your steak done Sir?

Seriously though, it's surprising what a disc of plasticard and a knob of milliput with a few blobs of paint on can look like at a distance. I'm now toying with the idea of a 1/35 Tamiya bucket sprayed silver with a bottle of Champagne in it - Bollinger naturally.