dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I recently saw via the Forum a superb Vid of a Forestry Railway in Roumania? On the Train were some well battered Oil Drums that got me thinking that I should install some more on my line.

I did a Google Search on 'Old oil drims' and a superb set of images came up with loads of oportunities and inspiring pics. Having picked up a Pola 333203 2 Oil Drums with a Can at Glendale. A couple of Resin Cast Drums and 2 LGB Drums at Solihull I felt that they all needed some TLC.

So I set to with some serious abuse to the LGB ones. They had all their surfaces attacked with a Fibre Pen. This reduces the colour from Shiny to nice and Matt. A trick well worth remembering on any Bright Plastic you may have. I also find that Wet and Dry does the same trick for large Flat Surfaces. In fact for Roof Tiles, black Plasticard attacked with Wet n Dry makes great Roofing Tiles in any Scale. But back on thread, all the Drums then were dry brushed with Tamiya Matt White, Hull Red, Flay Brown and Matt Black. I used Humbrol Shiny Black to represent the newly spilled oil. Just follow the examples in the Google Search. I think that my Pic is more use than a thousand words.

image.jpeg
Notice that I have used varying sizes, they do come in all shapes and sizes. In the past I have used Tamiya Kits of Drums in 0 Gauge. I may have some more spirited away in my 0 Gauge Box that I may investigate doing some things with. I may also investigate putting lumps and bumps in the LGB ones by using a bit of Heat from the Soldering Iron.

Finally the Oil Drum was an old Solder Bobbin that had run out. A bit of detail added with Coffee Stirers and some Grey Paint has this ready as another Load for a Wagon.
JonD

EDIT finally again again, there have been a few other very good threads about Oil Drums and other Drums (not the Keith Moon Type I must add) including how to make your own that are worth looking at.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A great idea ...ta!

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I like the cable drum idea. If you buy Pola kits you will end up with more oil drums than you can shake a stick at, but spilled oil? Not quite eco-friendly :eek: (ask B.P. :wondering: )
I used to use those fibreglass brushes when I was a printer for removing spots of oxydation from the printing plates, you can't imagine how painful getting one of those fibres jabbed in your finger is nor how nigh on impossible to find the damned thing and extract it. I now prefer spray on matt varnish for the models :wait:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I like the cable drum idea. If you buy Pola kits you will end up with more oil drums than you can shake a stick at, but spilled oil? Not quite eco-friendly :eek: (ask B.P. :wondering: )
I used to use those fibreglass brushes when I was a printer for removing spots of oxydation from the printing plates, you can't imagine how painful getting one of those fibres jabbed in your finger is nor how nigh on impossible to find the damned thing and extract it. I now prefer spray on matt varnish for the models :wait:
Yes get that thing in the finger problem, but with care it can be avoided. Had none of that cleaning the LGB Barrels.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Following on from this I have been doing some more work with Oil Drums. So this post could be titled ‘Oil Drums how I have made a few out of mostly scrap’.
But first some details;-
BDD9F3E5-87EB-4A04-A109-DCF632A0012D.jpeg
And a few pics of inspiration;-
2664DE5E-FC9B-43AE-BDF1-AEDCB796BE01.jpeg
3D756D58-9043-4BC9-AA39-90B8AE0C6714.jpeg
So I was fafing about this Summer with Pound Stretcher cheepo Garden Lights. This meant that I had a lot of Plastic Tube left over, some went to make a Pipe Load for one of my Wagons. But a couple got missed in these and have been kicking around ever since. I noticed an article on Gnatter Box about Oil Drums made from a Loo Roll, but these were form7/8ths scale much too big. So I looked at the measurements on the first pic.
880 mm High at 1:24 this is around 36 mm
610 mm Dia at 1:24 this is around 26 mm.
The Plastic Tube scaled at 27mm dia so I cut of some lengths of 36mm and the left over one will be a short cut off drum. I mounted some Plasticard on one end only to make up the ends on a few of the Drum Masters. This was then cut off in bits and rounded with some emery. I then used the lathe to make some indents where wire would be fitted to make the ridges, but this is not really necessary as the next process resolves this. Next I drilled 2 small holes in the barrels for the ridges. A length of Iron Flower Arranging Wire (a product that I get into a panic over when I run out, so useful) was pushed through and bent across, the remaining wire was then wrapped round the drum bent and pushed into the hole. Both parts having then been pulled through with fine nose pliers helps to keep the wire in place.
Pic showing the bent over wire inside.
121C3E21-C998-43F4-89E1-442D63E73728.jpeg
The next pic shows the Tools and parts used in this simple little project.
ABB98F0A-3C00-43B1-85A1-6DC89D0476BE.jpeg
Now a pic showing them painted in varying Colours. Only White to add to a Couple of them. Note that I have not been too fussy about the painting allowing the colour not to be too covery. After completion they will be further weathered and rust added.
5BEAA101-EA76-4755-B8EA-CBD4DEAB1216.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
A while back when I wanted a few oil drums for a SM32 project I happened upon a suitable candidate on the shelves of a sweetie shop.
Sold under the name of TOXIC WASTE the plastic drum they came in was just the size I wanted. A quick repaint and computer generated logo later you can see the result in the attached photo. I've superimposed the image of how the drum looks in the sweet shop.
Be warned... I made the mistake of tasting one of the sweets... Never again... Tastes just like it says on the can...
NB: the loco was a modified Faller play-train fitted with a New-ray 0-4-0 chassis and RC from a junked toy car. The side tanks are a pair of 2 x AA battery holders. It worked rather well considering it was all made of junk.

Attachments

• toxic waste.jpg
    toxic waste.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0143 (800x261).jpg
    DSCF0143 (800x261).jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0141.JPG
    DSCF0141.JPG
    323.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0142.JPG
    DSCF0142.JPG
    323.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Be warned... I made the mistake of tasting one of the sweets... Never again... Tastes just like it says on the can...
Well, if you didn't heed the warning?

Good spot and use of the container though, and I admire your skill in bashing the Faller loco....

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A while back when I wanted a few oil drums for a SM32 project I happened upon a suitable candidate on the shelves of a sweetie shop.
Sold under the name of TOXIC WASTE the plastic drum they came in was just the size I wanted. A quick repaint and computer generated logo later you can see the result in the attached photo. I've superimposed the image of how the drum looks in the sweet shop.
NB: the loco was a modified Faller play-train fitted with a New-ray 0-4-0 chassis and RC from a junked toy car. The side tanks are a pair of 2 x AA battery holders. It worked rather well considering it was all made of junk.
Hm a sweetie shop near my House in Yorkshire used to sell very similar sweets from a Jar. Must hunt these out as they are another source of Oil Drums. Thanks for the info and I may like the sweets as well! Appear to be abailable in Green, Red, Yellow and Purple Drums. What size are the Drums please? Looking at the pic on Wiki there would appear to be 2 different Drum Sizes.

Last edited:

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
What size are the Drums please? Looking at the pic on Wiki there would appear to be 2 different Drum Sizes.[/QUOTE said:
They were sold off a while ago, but checking the height of the t-shirted figure shown, would make the drum aprox 5cm tall.
Regards,
Paul.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Toxic Waste 'candy' barrels:

top 49mm dia.
base 47mm dia.
height 75mm

If you use a hole-punch (like for a ring binder) on thin Plasticard.. You get little circles, which are great for the caps/bungs, on the top of your barrels.
PhilP.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag

top 49mm dia.
base 47mm dia.
height 75mm QUOTE]
Whoa.. That's way bigger... I guess they must have increased the size, also the old ones had moulded side bungs. You can see one in the sepia shot.
Paul.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

top 49mm dia.
base 47mm dia.
height 75mm

If you use a hole-punch (like for a ring binder) on thin Plasticard.. You get little circles, which are great for the caps/bungs, on the top of your barrels.
PhilP.
Yes that does make them somewhat large, but I wonder if they were the large or Small Ones? Looking at this image from Wiki there are 2 sizes of Drum and an even smaller Sweetie one!

Anyone found the smaller one in UK?

Or perhaps the one you had was the smaller one and the others are bigger still?

I imagine from the size quoted that they will be pretty similar to the LGB ones, usable but probably as a slightly different kind of drum as I have previously done with my LGB ones. The hole punch will be used, I have one of those Leather ones that looks like the Statue of Libertie’s Hat so will make some out of the cut outs from that, I think a Centre Punch may be a bit Large.

3F704DD5-DADF-4D5A-9CD4-5CA7AD6A35FF.jpeg

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
We’ll have to get some of that Toxic Candy. Your barrels look great, plus I can keep the sweets until next Halloween in case people knock on the door doing ‘trick or treet’.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
We’ll have to get some of that Toxic Candy. Your barrels look great, plus I can keep the sweets until next Halloween in case people knock on the door doing ‘trick or treet’.
Great idea, always wanted to have something to give the little Darlings!

So I managed to track some of the sweets down today, have this great little Sweet Shop in Town (St.Neots) that sells Sweets like they used to be done from a Bottle into a Bag. But they also have oddball things as well including the Toxic Waste Sweeties in their Oil Drums for £1.15 a pop. Probably as cheep as you would be able to buy any Plastic based Drum I would think. Certainly probably cheeper than LGB Ones. Pic below shows comparison between the Toxic, LGB (in red middle) and my own make. Takes your pick with size, but mine are pretty well near a 55 Gallon one which is a fairly common one to be seen around Factories etc. The LGB are big with the Toxic even bigger. Of the 3 sizes of Toxic Waste (mentioned in Post 12) according to the man in the Shop this is the smaller one of the 2 Carton Varieties.
387F7167-ABA3-412E-82DB-D03ED0C7E459.jpeg
So I cut out some Plasticard Opening Caps with the Tools seen behind the next picture. Small ones as well as a larger one are seen on the Top. The small one will be to allow Air in if Draining from the Bottom when on end or Top up. These have been painted Silver and some Gloss Black sploged about to represent Spilt Oil.
AD7F043D-BFF6-4590-A41F-BD4ADB569AF6.jpeg
0EE6BC2F-227C-41A5-BD43-C7C8FCA4A63D.jpeg
So now once they are dry I will need to deside where to put them, I rather fancy the lot being loaded onto a Pallett in the Yard within the Shed.
Next up to research ifvthere is any prototype to matchbthe size if the Toxic Waste ines in G Scale.

Reactions: 2 users

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Seeing the size of the 'Toxic' drums in relation to the LGB ones, I'm now starting to doubt my own sanity...
In order to check if it could have been some other product I did a quick search for oil drum shaped containers.
The closest I could find to my photo was SET OF 6/12 BARREL O SLIME NOISE LIQUID PUTTY TOY JOKE NOISE FUN TRICK STRESS | eBay
So I've ordered some to see.
I'll let you all know the size of these when they show up.
I will get to the bottom of this.
Paul.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Seeing the size of the 'Toxic' drums in relation to the LGB ones, I'm now starting to doubt my own sanity...
In order to check if it could have been some other product I did a quick search for oil drum shaped containers.
The closest I could find to my photo was SET OF 6/12 BARREL O SLIME NOISE LIQUID PUTTY TOY JOKE NOISE FUN TRICK STRESS | eBay
Paul.

The listing does say '8cm' barrels... Will be interesting to see, as they look pretty good..

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Paul.
They do look pretty good to me as well, always room for more and a Wagon Load would be very good.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Great idea, always wanted to have something to give the little Darlings!

So I managed to track some of the sweets down today, have this great little Sweet Shop in Town (St.Neots) that sells Sweets like they used to be done from a Bottle into a Bag. But they also have oddball things as well including the Toxic Waste Sweeties in their Oil Drums for £1.15 a pop. Probably as cheep as you would be able to buy any Plastic based Drum I would think. Certainly probably cheeper than LGB Ones. Pic below shows comparison between the Toxic, LGB (in red middle) and my own make. Takes your pick with size, but mine are pretty well near a 55 Gallon one which is a fairly common one to be seen around Factories etc. The LGB are big with the Toxic even bigger. Of the 3 sizes of Toxic Waste (mentioned in Post 12) according to the man in the Shop this is the smaller one of the 2 Carton Varieties.
View attachment 246078
So I cut out some Plasticard Opening Caps with the Tools seen behind the next picture. Small ones as well as a larger one are seen on the Top. The small one will be to allow Air in if Draining from the Bottom when on end or Top up. These have been painted Silver and some Gloss Black sploged about to represent Spilt Oil.
View attachment 246077
View attachment 246076
So now once they are dry I will need to deside where to put them, I rather fancy the lot being loaded onto a Pallett in the Yard within the Shed.
Next up to research ifvthere is any prototype to matchbthe size if the Toxic Waste ines in G Scale.

mihi necesse est optimus = I need the best

After all this time I just noticed your signature and went to Google Translate. Good one.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have I think completed the Rusting process. The stuff I had has been around for a long time and a lot of the Base Coat had gone crunchy after poor storage. But I managed to get some out to do this. Hopefully now that the Crunchy Stuff is back with the Liquid in time it may be OK. So here is the pic showing what has been achieved, have to say this Rusting process is amazing.
755511C4-E34D-4D1E-8947-E208C4816C22.jpeg
If my current stock does not get better I must get some more at a Show. Squires were demonstrating a similar process at Warley Show which is what reminded me that I had something suitable.

Below the Drums in place on the Layout inside.
1A7C2F96-E465-498C-8699-E61FE9EDA228.jpeg
Must attend to that Grass effect, all together too pristine for what I am trying to achieve in the Shed.
This pretty much completes the current round of Oil Drums till I manage to find some of that Slime Putty stuff.