Not yet Spring but the new seasons early plants are beginning to show signs of life.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Was looking for snowdrops on Xmas day but none even poking their heads above ground. Now just over a week away and not only are they showing but the odd one just about to flower. Perhaps they were present all the time and I just missed them. This one is hiding quite well but obviously the sheltered spot has encouraged it to show it’s face.
B17864F1-B962-4B81-8114-AA324821FE3F.jpeg
Some other plants doing their thing as well.
727ECA9D-1383-4DA6-9064-916553F70B62.jpeg
Whilst I was poking around the Top part of one of my Railcars appeared in the undergrowth. Had made a replacement but there it was and I would have sworn I gave this area a good old mugging trying to find it! Oh well have a spare in case another tries to get lost.
2A16A279-9568-4DAA-876B-F3CBB0B6EDB2.jpeg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, very interesting, I still have a patio rose (planted in the garden) in flower!

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Got my first daffodil of the year in flower...

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Slightly different, my Christmas Cactus actually bloomed on Christmas Day this year, first time in the nearly 20 years I've had it. Normally it waits til Easter

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
You're too far south :devil: :devil:

Looked in the garden just before it got dark today and the lone daffodil spotted last week has been joined by more....

2020Daffodils-01.jpg

… despite being too far south :)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Love the Tachi-gata Keith.

Thanks Jon,

Japanese Kasuga-style purchased in South Korea and shipped back to the UK when I moved to new pastures.

Other side of the garden is another lantern but this time a real Japanese lantern purchased in Japan as part of an indoor Japanese garden at work:

DFB-01.jpg

Not sure of the type but it looks something like an Oribe or Kanjuji.....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Looks more-like a missing rear pony-truck to me? :think:

• Haha

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon,

Japanese Kasuga-style purchased in South Korea and shipped back to the UK when I moved to new pastures.

Other side of the garden is another lantern but this time a real Japanese lantern purchased in Japan as part of an indoor Japanese garden at work:

View attachment 260441

Not sure of the type but it looks something like an Oribe or Kanjuji.....
Hm the differences between those two types is a bit of a hm....... looking at this site it is a tricky definition. Those that you have must be reassuringly heavy?

Those types you have sourced from the Far East certainly beat anything that I have seen in UK, only to be expected I guess. I have some Celcon Blocks kicking around in the garden that sometime I will be turning into a Lantern of sorts, nothing like so good as your examples but with a bit of work and add on surface strata I am hopeful of some kind of mediocre masterpiece.

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Looks more-like a missing rear pony-truck to me? :think:

That's not a proper loco, although it is in Furka Steam Railway (DFB) livery it never existed, its an LGB (quite good) relivery of their old 0-6-0T rack loco. Came as a set and bought the set to get the coaches. The proper DFB loco is this one:

DFB-16.jpg

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Hm the differences between those two types is a bit of a hm....... looking at this site it is a tricky definition. Those that you have must be reassuringly heavy?

Those types you have sourced from the Far East certainly beat anything that I have seen in UK, only to be expected I guess. I have some Celcon Blocks kicking around in the garden that sometime I will be turning into a Lantern of sorts, nothing like so good as your examples but with a bit of work and add on surface strata I am hopeful of some kind of mediocre masterpiece.

You're right Jon, the lanterns are VERY heavy. Luckily the bank I was working for at the time paid for the shipping of the lanterns back to the UK when I transferred from one country to another!

Like your idea of creating a lantern out of Celcon blocks. Look forward to seeing what you create.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You're right Jon, the lanterns are VERY heavy. Luckily the bank I was working for at the time paid for the shipping of the lanterns back to the UK when I transferred from one country to another!

Like your idea of creating a lantern out of Celcon blocks. Look forward to seeing what you create.
Knowing Jon, he'll make light work of it:giggle::giggle::giggle:

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Crocus just started to appear down here in the south east corner.....

2020Crocus-01.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, snowdrops are coming out up here in NWN >:)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I too have some snowdrops in North Herts

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
My other snowdrops are starting to poke their heads out if the ground as well. Barney is loosing hair like it is going out of fashion, does his body clock know somethinge we do not as this will be his winter coat.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
My other snowdrops are starting to poke their heads out if the ground as well. Barney is loosing hair like it is going out of fashion, does his body clock know somethinge we do not as this will be his winter coat.

The day's getting longer, will (slightly) affect this..
But more likely, is the fact we are having an unseasonally mild winter.. - So far.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The day's getting longer, will (slightly) affect this..
But more likely, is the fact we are having an unseasonally mild winter.. - So far.
Yes longer days are now getting noticeable, a few short weeks ago Barnie’s walk had to be started by 1545. Now we can go out at 1600 normal for him and still light enough to near 1645.

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Not sure if this counts, but these beasties certainly scoff their way through the fresh Spring growth!

385173C2-DB38-4118-A6E3-990076808CB4.jpeg

on the other hand these we beasties turn up, scoff the slugs and snails and we get to keep some of the fresh growth.

8AC8F166-BB0D-43FA-80F7-E6BC02CB8549.jpeg