No 10 pin socket on Direct Decoder motherboard

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've opened up my Direct Decoder LGB20231.1 with the intention of fitting a Massoth XL decoder. Searching this site, and others, it seems that the 10 pin socket is the norm. My board, as shown below, has the 9 individual sockets to accept the L decoder and is labelled LGB SE048 20232.
I did read on another thread that Mike (Muns) had an adaptor for fitting the XL decoder. Does this provide the 10 pin socket or will I need to connect the wires individually to each of the 9 sockets.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_20210328_163934438.jpg
    IMG_20210328_163934438.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Personally, I would consider removing the original board, and installing the XL from scratch..

PhilP

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Personally, I would consider removing the original board, and installing the XL from scratch..

PhilP
Hi Phil.
It's my first docoder conversion so I was trying t keep it simple, and learn a bit. Maybe gut one later.
Ben

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Phil.
It's my first docoder conversion so I was trying t keep it simple, and learn a bit. Maybe gut one later.
Ben
In which case, save the XL for a bigger two - motor job, and buy a L for this one?

Use this to learn the CV's you will get to know and love.

PhilP

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I've opened up my Direct Decoder LGB20231.1 with the intention of fitting a Massoth XL decoder. Searching this site, and others, it seems that the 10 pin socket is the norm. My board, as shown below, has the 9 individual sockets to accept the L decoder and is labelled LGB SE048 20232.
I did read on another thread that Mike (Muns) had an adaptor for fitting the XL decoder. Does this provide the 10 pin socket or will I need to connect the wires individually to each of the 9 sockets.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Ben
Hello,

The "Direct Decoder" interface was designed to interface the LGB 55020, 55021 and latterly the Massoth eMotion L decoders.

You did read correctly that my alter ego Mike (whoever he is!) has a board that can be used. One of the versions will allow the use of a 10pin connector, however there is a slight issue that you may not have enough height in your loco for the board and the cable connected to it. To overcome this I have provided one with pre-soldered wires that can be connected to the screw terminals of your decoder.

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,

The "Direct Decoder" interface was designed to interface the LGB 55020, 55021 and latterly the Massoth eMotion L decoders.

You did read correctly that my alter ego Mike (whoever he is!) has a board that can be used. One of the versions will allow the use of a 10pin connector, however there is a slight issue that you may not have enough height in your loco for the board and the cable connected to it. To overcome this I have provided one with pre-soldered wires that can be connected to the screw terminals of your decoder.
Hi Mark, do you have any of the wired boards available? If you do could you PM me with a cost. If not, I may go with Phii’s suggestion although when I bought the XL, some time ago, they seemed more readily avavaible and of a similar price.
Anyway, thanks for quick responses and here’s to a full recovery from my misnaming you Mark;-)
Ben

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mark, do you have any of the wired boards available? If you do could you PM me with a cost. If not, I may go with Phii’s suggestion although when I bought the XL, some time ago, they seemed more readily avavaible and of a similar price.
Anyway, thanks for quick responses and here’s to a full recovery from my misnaming you Mark;-)
Ben
Mark, forget about the wired board. I've found some 1.5mm tube which i will solder onto the wires connecting to the 9 sockets.
Thanks.
Ben

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
ok np.

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I took your advice Phil and removed the old board. I now have a DCC loco and it's time to deal with CVs for lights and smoke.
Thanks.
Ben

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Ben,
A good way to proceed :
1. Sort any 'odd' wiring, such as older motor blocks, where one track and motor connection are connected together.
DON'T connect lights to start with..

Get the motor running. Alter the address, decide on speed-steps and set CV29.

Then look at your bulbs. - A good rule of thumb:
Flat-ended bulbs tend to be 5V.
Round - ended, 19 or 22V (24).

If you have the older screw-in bulbs, these are 19V.

For lighting, look to CV's in/around the 50's for the one's you will need to tweak.

Start with the designated front, rear, and cab lights. Then go on to the auxiliary (function) outputs.

Yell, if you are not sure..

PhilP.

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, before pulling the old board I ran 17v DC through the track
and the bulbs and smoke unit were taking around 7V. So, would this suggest both are 5V units?
Ben

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That would sound about right..

If you have black and white wires to the cylindrical smoke unit, that signifies it is a 5V unit.

PhilP

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
For the cost of the 55021, I use the Zimo MX645P22. 1.8 amp, 3 watt audio, may more functions, capable of operating 2 servos (I do remote uncoupling with standard Kadees, a chain and servo), remote volume control. And it is smaller than the 55021!!

Reactions: 1 user

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dan.
The Zimo you mention seems to be priced at £99 in the UK. This is the same price I paid, including delivery from Germany, for the 8150101, PluG interface and XLII PluG module and the 8214100 PluG sound decoder. I bought this in December (I blame Ebay Mike), pre Brexhite. Now, the interface and XL are selling in UK for £70 and the sound decoder for £99.
I may therefore have to look at your alternative in the future.
Cheers.
Ben

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hello again...you just knew I'd be back.
I have got the driving decoder running, with LED's working correctly; removed the XL II Plug decoder and flashed and updated the sound files on the S-Plug module. Having fitted both the XL and sound decoder on the PluG interface should I now program it as a XLS v>3.5?
Thanks for any help.
Ben

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
I believe you need to use the "eMotion XL2 Plug" profile in the MST for the driving decoder and the "eMotion S Decoder via SUSI >v3.5" for the sound.

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mark.
So, remove the driving decoder, connect the Susi cable and then sort out the sounds?
Ben

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
No. Normal "through the track" programming with XL2 PLugG connected. The CVs for the S module will range from 900+ so the XL2 PluG will pass it through the SUSI interface to the sound decoder.

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
That's not the impression the Massoth site gives for the S-PluG:-
'A dual and separate programming of driving decoder and sound decoder is no longer required'

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry Mark, I sent the above at the same time as your message. I have tried what you suggest, but I only get a 'greyed out' selection for 'Sound Type'
Ben