Question: Massoth 10-way plug to LGB loco board....?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, a quick and fairly basic question, but better to ask than to fry something! ;)

I've done quite a few decoder installs now and am pretty confident with them, but only one (a long while ago now) actually used a direct plug-in connection to an LGB board equipped with a modern 10-pin DCC socket.

I'm just starting the install of an LS, kindly pre-wired by Mark (Muns) with a 10-pin harness, into my new 1K. Now, when you pull the "dummy" plug off the pins on the LGB board, to expose the pins for the DCC connection, what you have is a row of ten pins, and then a small row of 3 more pins offset to the side of the main ten. Now, working from memory of the previous one I did, plus the incredibly vague diagrams in various leaflets, am I right in assuming the following:

Looking down at the loco from above, with the smokebox end "up" and the cab end "down", the row of ten pins runs along the length of the loco and the three offset pins are to the LEFT on the main row, and offset towards the cab end. With this orientation, does the brown Massoth plug fit on so that the RED wire is at the TOP - the smokebox end (furthest away from the 3 offset pins), and the two BLUE wires of the harness are at the BOTTOM - the cab end? That is the way that SEEMS to agree with the diagrams, and also means that two of the three offset pins fit around one of the moulded lugs on the side of the plug - but these three "spare" pins do NOT actually connect to anything.

Does that make sense, and can anyone confirm that is the right way round? The thing is, it IS possible to get the plug to fit the other way round, though I'm sure that's the wrong way!

Thanks! :D

Jon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Does this pic help you Jon....

a1866b4554d145e18ea62026a4c625f1.jpg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Mark, spot-on, thanks very much - you can ignore the PM and email I sent you now! ;)
I should have known that posting here was the quickest way to get the answer.

Incidentally, anyone know what those "spare" three pins actually do, or why they are there if they don't do anything?

Thanks again,
Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Another quick question - does anyone know if the three "modules" of the Powercap Micro get warm when in use, or do they run cool? I'm debating whether to put them into the smokebox, or try and cram at least a couple of the bits into the firebox space!

Jon.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Zerogee said:
Another quick question - does anyone know if the three "modules" of the Powercap Micro get warm when in use, or do they run cool? I'm debating whether to put them into the smokebox, or try and cram at least a couple of the bits into the firebox space!

Jon.

They get warm (but not hot) when charging, but it's nothing to worry about. Stuff 'em in!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Peter! In the end I put two of the Powercap modules in the firebox/backhead space, and the third one tucked into the smokebox - it's very handy that the length of wire between the units is just enough to allow this. The LS itself is wrapped in insulating tape and stuck to the top of the speaker, as in Muns' photo (thanks again for that Mark, answered my question a treat!).

So, job done! It's a little b*gger to get back together again, and there is a HUGE rat's nest of wiring in there - the Gods only know why M/LGB decided to put quite that much wiring in (I suspect it's actually a bit of penny-pinching, using standard length looms rather than tailoring them to the loco - a bit cheeky on a loco costing around a monkey....).
Anyway, much cursing (the time-honoured lubricant of locomotive reassembly) and not a small amount of BF&I saw it all back together again. I don't think there is more than a gnat's gonad of spare space left inside it now, and I'm just praying i didn't trap any wires - which will be more by luck than judgement as it's impossible to see them while you're wrestling the body back on!
It's all working in the prescribed fashion, making wonderful chuffing noises and the requisite "peep peep" and "clang clang" when the relevant buttons are pushed, so all is well with the world. :D
Just got to stick some crew figures in it now - not the oddly US-looking driver supplied by M/LGB (sorry, he's going to get demoted to driving a diesel!), but trying to decide between Preiser, Bachmann or Prehm! Choices, choices.....

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
What is that diagram relating to, Cliff? The wiring colours bear no relation to LGB or Massoth, I assume it's a USAT or Aristo connection? Very odd that the Track+ and Motor+ terminals appear to be linked (surely not for DCC!?), and as each of the three offset pins is linked to one of the 10 main pins, I still don't really see what they are there for?

Jon.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
It is an LGB DCC interface. The colours are the supposed NMRA standard colours. It shows what the three extra pins are for that you asked about. The little 'dummy' plug that has to be removeed before plugging in a decoder makes the connections shown for when the loco is using DC.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, right, thanks Cliff, that all makes sense now! :D
It was the wiring colours that were confusing me, I think.
Now I understand what those three pins do, and why they have no function in a DCC installation. Knowledge is good! ;)

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Glad you got it all back together Jon. 'Tis a bit of a blighter isn't it.
Sounds though your pleased with it - good init.