New Railroad Layout

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Get a small plastic shed, to sit nearby ,to put your mostly run stock in ..:wondering:
th

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
Looks good to me..
Agree with Sean.. Parallel running looks better. - You can have a meandering single line, but unless there is a natural obstruction, keep 'em parallel. :)

Right.. Weekend coming-up.. Expect finished article pictures, Monday then John. :think:;)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Not much point without a running loco though, huh? Maybe in a few weeks...

Why are you not using USA track ..get some @ Springfield this Jan "Big E "
#6 switches for the main lines and the 10' switches for the yard
Finances permitting I will definitely look into that. Will you be at the show this year, Sean?

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Finances permitting I will definitely look into that. Will you be at the show this year, Sean?

I hope .. I was in my friends car and on the way last year when my medicine told me it didn't like to travel... ( Rotator cuff repair ..I'm @ 100% now ) Hint Bring "CASH"

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
#11 looks pretty good I think I would try and tie in the left hand reversing circuit to the main loop to give you a choice cause right now there is only 1 way out, Bill

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
I hope .. I was in my friends car and on the way last year when my medicine told me it didn't like to travel... ( Rotator cuff repair ..I'm @ 100% now ) Hint Bring "CASH"
I'll definitely be there. That's where I bought my Forney last year!

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Also, the USAT GP 38-2 locomotives is the biggest I'm planning to get. Does that loco have a min radius? I was under the impression it fits around LGB's R2s.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Have you done any more drawings since #11, it looks pretty good and best of all less grass to mow, Bill

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
I have, Bill. It is again very different, but I have to measure the ground's natural grade before I can proceed. I've been away all weekend, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow. Updates to follow...

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Here's design #15 of my new railroad... I think I'll keep the name the same for this RR, unless I come up with a better one... There are a few R2's, as required by the spaces allowed, but the inner loop is all R3 or larger. The yard does use R1s, but that will be fine for what I'm running. New RR_1.png

The R2s are only in the top right corner of the drawing and the bottom of the same loop of track. There is a possibility of changing the top left corner, but, for now, this is all academic until I can retrieve my track...
Here's the full layout. There's a station at the bottom right and the larger multi-track station at the top.

There is a grade from one side of the house (black box) to the other, but I believe it will be manageable with the track as I have designed it. Also, I know that having the yard in the center of the layout seems a bit odd. Yeah, it's not my favorite thing about the design, but there's enough space to incorporate large plants so that the yard will not be visible from the right of the railroad. It's not the most ideal, but I think that if I do the gardening right the layout will feel a lot larger than it actually is since you'll never see the whole thing at once.

Also, if anyone knows of a US supplier of 45-degree crossings, that'd be great! Otherwise I'll have to build one out of two straight pieces.
New RR_2.png

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'd eliminate the straight on the right side of the upper right loop, and enlarge that curve to R3... the more R2's you can eliminate the better running your layout is... making that change also makes a nicer looking curve, rather than a curve interrupted with a straight and then more curve.

Greg

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Alright, Greg. I did so in my design, but it may not fit. There's a large bush just inside that curve that may be in the way. But, again, I won't know until I go collect all my track and actually try to lay it out. I should just go get it now...

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Here's design #15 of my new railroad... I think I'll keep the name the same for this RR, unless I come up with a better one... There are a few R2's, as required by the spaces allowed, but the inner loop is all R3 or larger. The yard does use R1s, but that will be fine for what I'm running. View attachment 243798

The R2s are only in the top right corner of the drawing and the bottom of the same loop of track. There is a possibility of changing the top left corner, but, for now, this is all academic until I can retrieve my track...
Here's the full layout. There's a station at the bottom right and the larger multi-track station at the top.

There is a grade from one side of the house (black box) to the other, but I believe it will be manageable with the track as I have designed it. Also, I know that having the yard in the center of the layout seems a bit odd. Yeah, it's not my favorite thing about the design, but there's enough space to incorporate large plants so that the yard will not be visible from the right of the railroad. It's not the most ideal, but I think that if I do the gardening right the layout will feel a lot larger than it actually is since you'll never see the whole thing at once.

Also, if anyone knows of a US supplier of 45-degree crossings, that'd be great! Otherwise I'll have to build one out of two straight pieces.
View attachment 243799
2 things if you are going CW you can reverse to CCW but once there in order to go back to CW you will have to back up, second where do you need a 45degree crossing, if you are speaking of the one shown all you need is the same radius as the switches that feed it so if you are using 1600 use a 1320 and for 1200 use 1300, very impressive and large, Bill

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, tripped me up with an invisible bush huh! Ya got me...

Many plants have tried to encroach on my right of way, but I introduce them to Mr. Hedge Trimmer... Recalcitrant ones get to mee Mr. Chainsaw.... problem solved.

;)

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Ahh, tripped me up with an invisible bush huh! Ya got me...

Many plants have tried to encroach on my right of way, but I introduce them to Mr. Hedge Trimmer... Recalcitrant ones get to mee Mr. Chainsaw.... problem solved.
Greg
Well, since it's my dad's land - and he likes the bush - I can't do anything to it.

2 things if you are going CW you can reverse to CCW but once there in order to go back to CW you will have to back up
Yup, I noticed that... I'll work that out... eventually...
As for the crossing, that doesn't seem mathematically right to me... Using a 1320 with the R3 points would yield a parallel track, not connecting to the other switch.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Well, since it's my dad's land - and he likes the bush - I can't do anything to it.

Yup, I noticed that... I'll work that out... eventually...
As for the crossing, that doesn't seem mathematically right to me... Using a 1320 with the R3 points would yield a parallel track, not connecting to the other switch.

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
John not sure what you mean only double slip switch is about center up and down and just right of the diagram and is labeled 12260 and if easier just call m, 386-281-2489, Bill