New Piko Navigator

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I note from Piko's website that they now list a "new" navigator 35017 that appears to replace the previous 35011. The radio unit has also changed from 35012 to 35018.
Does anyone know what "improvements" have been made in the latest version? Would a new 35017 work as additional unit with an existing 35012?

Edit,
I'll email Piko and post any reply here if there's any interest

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yes please Neil..

'While you are there..' - As on of my Line Manager's was wont to say.. ;)

Could you ask if The Piko system supports an analogue loco on 'address 0' please?

Thanks,
PhilP.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Attachments

• Massoth.PNG
    Massoth.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PIKO.PNG
    PIKO.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Gardenbahner

Registered
10 Jul 2013
Best answers
Looking at the item description the new ones are using the 2.4 GHz band. The older ones used a lower band 433 MHz (UK) 915 MHz (US).
So they won't be compatible with older PIKO or MASSOTH radio gear. o_O

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
I read recently, that Massoth are offering a 'one off' trade in your old handset for the new 2.4 version for the 'great' price of £199.00!!..........does this mean our old handsets will soon be of no use? Presumably, you have to have a new receiver unit as well??
Dave

Gardenbahner

Registered
10 Jul 2013
Best answers
I read recently, that Massoth are offering a 'one off' trade in your old handset for the new 2.4 version for the 'great' price of £199.00!!..........does this mean our old handsets will soon be of no use? Presumably, you have to have a new receiver unit as well??
Dave

Yep, New Navigator needs new receiver and vice versa. The old system will still work fine unless you want to add something new. Up until now we could use any (PIKO/MASSOTH) Navigator with any Receiver when visiting another layout for example. Now any new radio equipment won't work unless you upgrade.

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if the offer price is for the Navigator and receiver? - Would scurry-off and check, but a little busy.. :(

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Couldn't find anything on a handset trade on the Massoth site. However, they are offering a bundle of the 2.4GHz receiver and 1 transmitter card that will fit into existing Navis for €199 - a saving of around €20 on buying the 2 items separately. GRO are offering the same bundle at £175.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Couldn't find anything on a handset trade on the Massoth site. However, they are offering a bundle of the 2.4GHz receiver and 1 transmitter card that will fit into existing Navis for €199 - a saving of around €20 on buying the 2 items separately. GRO are offering the same bundle at £175.

Thanks for looking!

Though, as has been noted, unless you have a 'mixed environment' your existing equipment will still work.. It is just you will need to ask the question, before visiting with your Navigator to another line.

Tanker man

10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, so what is the chance of being able to run two receivers on one system? One on the old frequency and one on the new 2.4G?
Dave

Gardenbahner

Registered
10 Jul 2013
Best answers
Ok, so what is the chance of being able to run two receivers on one system? One on the old frequency and one on the new 2.4G?
Dave

I've been thinking along those lines for a workaround. Assuming that the data (BUS) coming from the new receiver is the same as the old one, then it should work the same as using a wired Navigator alongside a receiver. So anyone who may want to use a new Navigator should provide a new receiver as well!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think I would ask the question of Massoth first..

Tanker man

10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
I think 'John S' post answers the question in the second paragraph, thinking about it, I have been using two receivers on my 1200z , one for the Massoth handsets and one for the LGB handsets, via an adapter ( can't remember the number) there does seem to be a bit of a delay with commands from the LGB handsets, and come to think of it, last time I tried it, it would not work anyway, but it has in the past, so in summery, you can have two receivers on one system, not sure if I could have three though!
Dave

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at the item description the new ones are using the 2.4 GHz band. The older ones used a lower band 433 MHz (UK) 915 MHz (US).
So they won't be compatible with older PIKO or MASSOTH radio gear. o_O
Hm I wonder if that is why the proposed Battery Massoth DRC300 System stalled? If they introduce it now at 2.4 GHz it will be no good to me as my Massoth Handsets are all expensively sourced 433 MHz ones. Thanks Massoth. Still at least I can have Fosworks and Crest Battery DCC this side of the Pond. As for Track Power looks like if I ever use it I will be stuck in the current state with no upgrades, though upgrades can be no fun.

Actually we are I think getting our knickers in a twist here, 2.4 GHz Transmitters cost around €89. So Conversion is the stated €199 for one Navi Reciever and the Transmitter to do one Handset. Other Transmitters for further Handsets will be the €89 each.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I note from Piko's website that they now list a "new" navigator 35017 that appears to replace the previous 35011. The radio unit has also changed from 35012 to 35018.
Does anyone know what "improvements" have been made in the latest version? Would a new 35017 work as additional unit with an existing 35012?

Edit,
I'll email Piko and post any reply here if there's any interest

Massoth makes the Piko DCC system and Massoth has upgraded their Massoth DiMax Navigator and Receiver to 2.4 GHz and they are doing the same for the Piko products.

David K

Registered
17 Jul 2016
Offaly, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Information on the Massoth trade-in of old Navigators for new 2.4Ghz Navigators is only visible on the German version (Sprache - Deutsch) of the Massoth website, scroll down the home page and click on the main picture announcing Eintauschaktion. You are taken to the information page. There you can select English language and it explains the process. When I contacted Massoth I was advised to send my old Navigator and once they have received it they would invoice me for the new one at the trade in price of €199 (saving €80). The offer does not include a new radio receiver (8131001), RRP €129. The new one has dispensed with the need for the tiny aerial and so is an enclosed unit. The link for info on the trade-in is: Trade-in offer for 8134801 Navigator – Massoth Elektronik GmbH

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You are going to want two receivers for the foreseeable future anyway.. Else your mates with older Navigator's will not be able to use them on your line..

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Don't forget you can get an "Upgrade kit" (2.4GHz receiver and 1 transmitter) for £175 from me, plus if you need additional transmitters they are £74 each when ordered together with the kit (saving £4 over the regular price of £78).

The firmware is the Navigator will also need to be updated and I am happy to do any upgrade for you at no cost if you order through me (you will however need to pay to get your Navigators to me - which I can arrange if necessary at cost).

Reactions: 1 user