New Piko Navigator

• Thread starter Neil Robinson
  • Start date
Neil Robinson

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
I note from Piko's website that they now list a "new" navigator 35017 that appears to replace the previous 35011. The radio unit has also changed from 35012 to 35018.
Does anyone know what "improvements" have been made in the latest version? Would a new 35017 work as additional unit with an existing 35012?

Edit,
I'll email Piko and post any reply here if there's any interest

Last edited:
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Yes please Neil..

'While you are there..' - As on of my Line Manager's was wont to say.. ;)

Could you ask if The Piko system supports an analogue loco on 'address 0' please?

Thanks,
PhilP.

John S

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
Exeter, Devon, UK
Everything you need to know here,
https://www.piko-shop.de/is.php?id=22862
will automatically start the download of the manual, scroll down the manual to page 39 for the English version.

The PIKO Navigator is intended for the direct operation to the PIKO digital central (35010). It can be operated using a cable or radio signals (in connection with the PIKO wireless receiver (35018)

PIKO 35018 manual here, same as above, automatic download, English version from page 7.

You may also operate a 2.4 GHz Receiver and a Receiver with 433 MHz or 915 MHz technology (#35012 / #35022) at the same time.

2.1.4 Operation with other control system
The PIKO Navigator can also be operated with the MASSOTH digital command controls DiMAX 1200Z, 1210Z, 800Z and LGB® MZS III. In addition, the handheld controller can also be operated on command controls with XpressNet® or via a separate wireless receiver.

Massoth Firmware Update............
127510_a60dda5254fb18db0df473a7af0e3fd4.png

And PIKO Firmware Update........
127512_8b98d62104a7e40f4b75dec8662c0051.png

Last edited:
Gardenbahner

Gardenbahner

Registered
10 Jul 2013
Looking at the item description the new ones are using the 2.4 GHz band. The older ones used a lower band 433 MHz (UK) 915 MHz (US).
So they won't be compatible with older PIKO or MASSOTH radio gear. o_O

Gardenbahner

Gardenbahner

Registered
10 Jul 2013
Tanker man

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
I read recently, that Massoth are offering a 'one off' trade in your old handset for the new 2.4 version for the 'great' price of £199.00!!..........does this mean our old handsets will soon be of no use? Presumably, you have to have a new receiver unit as well??
Dave

Gardenbahner

Gardenbahner

Registered
10 Jul 2013
I read recently, that Massoth are offering a 'one off' trade in your old handset for the new 2.4 version for the 'great' price of £199.00!!..........does this mean our old handsets will soon be of no use? Presumably, you have to have a new receiver unit as well??
Dave
Yep, New Navigator needs new receiver and vice versa. The old system will still work fine unless you want to add something new. Up until now we could use any (PIKO/MASSOTH) Navigator with any Receiver when visiting another layout for example. Now any new radio equipment won't work unless you upgrade.

Last edited:
PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I wonder if the offer price is for the Navigator and receiver? - Would scurry-off and check, but a little busy.. :(

Ralphmp

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Couldn't find anything on a handset trade on the Massoth site. However, they are offering a bundle of the 2.4GHz receiver and 1 transmitter card that will fit into existing Navis for €199 - a saving of around €20 on buying the 2 items separately. GRO are offering the same bundle at £175.

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Couldn't find anything on a handset trade on the Massoth site. However, they are offering a bundle of the 2.4GHz receiver and 1 transmitter card that will fit into existing Navis for €199 - a saving of around €20 on buying the 2 items separately. GRO are offering the same bundle at £175.
Thanks for looking!

Though, as has been noted, unless you have a 'mixed environment' your existing equipment will still work.. It is just you will need to ask the question, before visiting with your Navigator to another line.

Tanker man

Tanker man

10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Ok, so what is the chance of being able to run two receivers on one system? One on the old frequency and one on the new 2.4G?
Dave

Gardenbahner

Gardenbahner

Registered
10 Jul 2013
Ok, so what is the chance of being able to run two receivers on one system? One on the old frequency and one on the new 2.4G?
Dave
I've been thinking along those lines for a workaround. Assuming that the data (BUS) coming from the new receiver is the same as the old one, then it should work the same as using a wired Navigator alongside a receiver. So anyone who may want to use a new Navigator should provide a new receiver as well!

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I think I would ask the question of Massoth first..

Tanker man

Tanker man

10 Jun 2015
Oxford
I think 'John S' post answers the question in the second paragraph, thinking about it, I have been using two receivers on my 1200z , one for the Massoth handsets and one for the LGB handsets, via an adapter ( can't remember the number) there does seem to be a bit of a delay with commands from the LGB handsets, and come to think of it, last time I tried it, it would not work anyway, but it has in the past, so in summery, you can have two receivers on one system, not sure if I could have three though!
Dave

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Looking at the item description the new ones are using the 2.4 GHz band. The older ones used a lower band 433 MHz (UK) 915 MHz (US).
So they won't be compatible with older PIKO or MASSOTH radio gear. o_O
Hm I wonder if that is why the proposed Battery Massoth DRC300 System stalled? If they introduce it now at 2.4 GHz it will be no good to me as my Massoth Handsets are all expensively sourced 433 MHz ones. Thanks Massoth. Still at least I can have Fosworks and Crest Battery DCC this side of the Pond. As for Track Power looks like if I ever use it I will be stuck in the current state with no upgrades, though upgrades can be no fun.

Actually we are I think getting our knickers in a twist here, 2.4 GHz Transmitters cost around €89. So Conversion is the stated €199 for one Navi Reciever and the Transmitter to do one Handset. Other Transmitters for further Handsets will be the €89 each.

LGB333

LGB333

I note from Piko's website that they now list a "new" navigator 35017 that appears to replace the previous 35011. The radio unit has also changed from 35012 to 35018.
Does anyone know what "improvements" have been made in the latest version? Would a new 35017 work as additional unit with an existing 35012?

Edit,
I'll email Piko and post any reply here if there's any interest
Massoth makes the Piko DCC system and Massoth has upgraded their Massoth DiMax Navigator and Receiver to 2.4 GHz and they are doing the same for the Piko products.