New MyLocoSound Steam Soundcard

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Chris,

If an enhanced diesel soundcard was to happen, what would you and others like to see in it?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Hi Peter. I would like the sound of a big American diesel. I just have the one MLS diesel sound card and I think it is great for my S4 but I can't find a setting which sounds right for GP38s etc. The horn sounds rather "electronically generated". I would also like the engine speed to vary more - there seems to be only two notches. Sorry I can't tell you the version of diesel card I have as I don't want to take the loco apart. I bought it in 2017 or 2018.

Apologies for going off at a tangent. I switched the bell off shortly after making this video.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Peter. I would like the sound of a big American diesel. I just have the one MLS diesel sound card and I think it is great for my S4 but I can't find a setting which sounds right for GP38s etc. The horn sounds rather "electronically generated". I would also like the engine speed to vary more - there seems to be only two notches. Sorry I can't tell you the version of diesel card I have as I don't want to take the loco apart. I bought it in 2017 or 2018.

Apologies for going off at a tangent. I switched the bell off shortly after making this video.

Chris. Thanks for the feedback. Using button 7 of your TV remote control, there are four different ways in which you can have the engine revs vary with loco speed. I think you need to try option 1 and possibly, while the train is moving, use the channel up button to increase the engine rev limit. Email me at sales@mylocosound.com if you need more help.

Regrads
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Peter, just to learn more about your product, can you describe the 4 variations, how they "work" (if not a company secret).

Thanks, did not know you had this feature.

Greg
Greg, certainly not a secret as its in the instructions. The diesel soundcard has four running modes which the customer can select using the TV remote control. The first has the engine revs increase proportionally to the speed. The second is the same but with gear changes so its for diesel mechanical locos. The third simulates the driver selecting notch 5 so that the revs increase to double tickover before the loco moves off. The fourth simulates the driver selecting notch 8 so that the revs increase to triple tickover before the loco moves off. In all cases, the customer can select the tickover rev rate. In the first two cases the customer can set the rev rate limit when the train is in motion.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, certainly not a secret as its in the instructions. The diesel soundcard has four running modes which the customer can select using the TV remote control. The first has the engine revs increase proportionally to the speed. The second is the same but with gear changes so its for diesel mechanical locos. The third simulates the driver selecting notch 5 so that the revs increase to double tickover before the loco moves off. The fourth simulates the driver selecting notch 8 so that the revs increase to triple tickover before the loco moves off. In all cases, the customer can select the tickover rev rate. In the first two cases the customer can set the rev rate limit when the train is in motion.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

So revs increase to a level before the loco moves off; yes?
Is that function also available in the railcar sound card?

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
So revs increase to a level before the loco moves off; yes?
Is that function also available in the railcar sound card?
Correct, you can use the Power button on the TV remote control to set the voltage at which you want the revs to increase from tickover.

The railbus soundcard does not have the facility because it is primarily for gas mechanical vehicles like Galloping Geese.

The Light Diesel soundcard has the same notch up facility as the universal diesel. For most modern diesel railcars we would recommend the universal diesel soundcard.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Correct, you can use the Power button on the TV remote control to set the voltage at which you want the revs to increase from tickover.

The railbus soundcard does not have the facility because it is primarily for gas mechanical vehicles like Galloping Geese.

The Light Diesel soundcard has the same notch up facility as the universal diesel. For most modern diesel railcars we would recommend the universal diesel soundcard.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
OK I have already bought the railbus card.

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Any chance for a QR Chime whistle for a future option?

Last edited:

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Nice whistle. I will look into this. It sounds like a five chime whistle but do you know which brand it is?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
OK I have already bought the railbus card.
However, there are two adjustments for when the crash gears change :nod::nod: (early or late) .

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It's a Queensland Railways 3 Chime Whistle.
Will have to ask if we ever had a 5 chimer.

The only other three I know that were used here in Queensland are.
Single note,
Riverboat,
and a US whistle (a 'banshee' I think), but wasn't liked by the crews back then and was swapped out.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It's a Queensland Railways 3 Chime Whistle.
Will have to ask if we ever had a 5 chimer.

The only other three I know that were used here in Queensland are.
Single note,
Riverboat,
and a US whistle (a 'banshee' I think), but wasn't liked by the crews back then and was swapped out.
That's a surprise. For a three chime whistle it sounds very good. Please can you send me an email to sales@mylocosound.com so that communicate with you direct.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Peter, I heard from Del in the USA that there will be a bell in the next version of the Light Diesel sound car. I'm looking forward to that. I have two of the PIKO 25t diesels that have bells.

Thanks, Ken

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Peter, I heard from Del in the USA that there will be a bell in the next version of the Light Diesel sound car. I'm looking forward to that. I have two of the PIKO 25t diesels that have bells.

Thanks, Ken
Ken,

That is correct. We will be making an announcement relating to sound for the Piko GE 25 tonner in about two weeks from now.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Peter,
I am having problems with my outgoing email being blocked..

I have sent you a PM (personal message / conversation) on this Forum.

PhilP.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Memories. Back in '84 me and SWMBO did our first trip overseas. We ended up in Rocky (because that's where the train went). Mid afternoon, one strikes a thirst, so it was into the pub seen right at the end of that clip, for a 4X, and train watching (1720 class Freight) out the open window. Thanks for posting.
While on a tour around the town, she asked why all the houses were on stilts, as she put it. 'Oh, the river floods, and there are crocodiles'. In her best Eccles impression.... 'I don't like this place'.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Nathan P5 airhorn Leslie RS5T airhorn Siemens QSK95 prime mover
Our message was posted almost two years ago. Since then we have released a universal heavy diesel soundcard about a year ago. Amongst eight horns we included the Nathan K3LA and the Leslie A200 but not the ones you specified. The Siemens Charger uses a Cummings QSK95 engine. We don't have that particular engine on the soundcard but the sound is very close to a couple of the soundcard engines and would get you very close.

We are also able to supply custom soundcards containing specific horns, bells and engines.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

NorthwestGarrattGuy

Some young foamer from seattle
1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
kaedmonkeirbrannan.wixsite.com
Best answers
Country flag
Our message was posted almost two years ago. Since then we have released a universal heavy diesel soundcard about a year ago. Amongst eight horns we included the Nathan K3LA and the Leslie A200 but not the ones you specified. The Siemens Charger uses a Cummings QSK95 engine. We don't have that particular engine on the soundcard but the sound is very close to a couple of the soundcard engines and would get you very close.

We are also able to supply custom soundcards containing specific horns, bells and engines.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
ah i diidnt notice thread was 2 years old i thought that said 2 months old