New MyLocoSound Steam Soundcard

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
MyLocoSound has just released a new soundcard for steam locomotives of all sizes. We have switched to a new processor which gives us increased speed and memory. As a result, we have been able to improve the quality of all sounds and add many new ones. There are now 21 whistles to choose from including recorded 3, 5 and 6 chime whistles. Additions include the fireman shovelling coal, rod clank. and drain cocks. There are now two American bells and three brake pumps to choose from plus two different chuffs; one for light locos and one for heavy. In the UK there is a small increase in price to 65 pounds, largely to cover the increased shipping costs during Covid.

As always, there is no programming with all sounds being selected and adjusted using a TV remote control. Like all our soundcards, it is suitable for locomotives powered by analogue DC from the track or by onboard batteries with manual or radio control.

Our web site at www.mylocosound.com has full details and there is a short demonstration video at

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
MyLocoSound has just released a new soundcard for steam locomotives of all sizes. We have switched to a new processor which gives us increased speed and memory. As a result, we have been able to improve the quality of all sounds and add many new ones. There are now 21 whistles to choose from including recorded 3, 5 and 6 chime whistles. Additions include the fireman shovelling coal, rod clank. and drain cocks. There are now two American bells and three brake pumps to choose from plus two different chuffs; one for light locos and one for heavy. In the UK there is a small increase in price to 65 pounds, largely to cover the increased shipping costs during Covid.

As always, there is no programming with all sounds being selected and adjusted using a TV remote control. Like all our soundcards, it is suitable for locomotives powered by analogue DC from the track or by onboard batteries with manual or radio control.

Our web site at www.mylocosound.com has full details and there is a short demonstration video at

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Peter I think the new sound card is certainly better. But some of the gimmiky stuff could be reduced to make way for more sampled whistles, still what lets things down IMHO. The 3 US sampled ones are superb.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I had notice the increase in price in the model press, didn't realise that, that was for an upgraded card :rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Peter, can you speak to the sensitivity of your sound card when using PWM? Is it fully "resistant" to PWM? I would suspect so, but recently many people have been having issues with other sound cards, the dreaded "full speed" problem.

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Peter, can you speak to the sensitivity of your sound card when using PWM? Is it fully "resistant" to PWM? I would suspect so, but recently many people have been having issues with other sound cards, the dreaded "full speed" problem.

Greg
That's why we all have use 'em, Greg..

If there is now more memory, we can possibly address the main issue that is mentioned, here in the UK..
Synthesised whistles..

Once we can visit railways again, we can record some prototypes, and see if Peter can find enough memory-space.

PhilP

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I personally own eight radio controlled locos with which I test the soundcards. All but one are PWM so yes, the soundcards work with PWM.

Please can people suggest which kind of British whistle they would like to have on the soundcard as a recording?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Peter, I assumed that since I have never heard a complaint about this with your product, your design has no issues.

So often people want to buy an old used soundcard, and then the PWM output of an ESC or a modern throttle makes them nuts.

Regards, Greg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I personally own eight radio controlled locos with which I test the soundcards. All but one are PWM so yes, the soundcards work with PWM.

Please can people suggest which kind of British whistle they would like to have on the soundcard as a recording?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Personally I would like to see a deep sound like the Harz 2-10-2’s and the shrill of a Corpet. For U.K. the Stanier Hooter and certainly the A4 I would have thought plus a non specific like an Industrial Loco. A good selection on here, plenty of A4 and a lot of SouthernMerchants as you have already synthesised.

good U.K. generic one at 2.30 which is an S&D 2-8-0 tender first.

Here is a link to the Harz sound of a 2-10-2

Not so sure that the liner in the vid would be of much use to us though!

Last edited:

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Personally I would like to see a deep sound like the Harz 2-10-2’s and the shrill of a Corpet. For U.K. the Stanier Hooter and certainly the A4 I would have thought plus a non specific like an Industrial Loco.

We already have an A4 recording on the soundcard. Beyond that, UK whistles seem to be plain single bell or hooters. The problem is that they vary so much in pitch which is why we went for synthesised whistles in the first place so that customers could set the pitch to match their loco. In the premium soundcard, besides the recorded whistles, we have improved the synthesised whistles to make them more realistic.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Peter,
Has Steve got any of the new cards yet, or are they still in transit, would you know?

I know 'British' whistles can be quite varied..
My choices would be a little more 'generic', perhaps?

Two or three of the Big Four's larger classes of loco.
Definitely, a UK version of the L&B loco's.
At least one 'recognisable' Ffestiniog offering.
Couple of small tank engines.

I assume recordings are not able to be 'adjusted' for pitch, only volume?

PhilP

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
By accident, I appear to have bought a new version of the steam soundcard from Andy (@ Micron) for my birthday. I hadn't realised it was the upgrade until I read the booklet which came with it. I'll let you know how I get on (after Weds - my 70th ..... ).

Rik
PS By coincidence, I've also acquired a secondhand Bachmann Lyn, so I'll be doing a battery conversion on it....

Last edited:

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Peter,
Has Steve got any of the new cards yet, or are they still in transit, would you know?

I know 'British' whistles can be quite varied..
My choices would be a little more 'generic', perhaps?

Two or three of the Big Four's larger classes of loco.
Definitely, a UK version of the L&B loco's.
At least one 'recognisable' Ffestiniog offering.
Couple of small tank engines.

I assume recordings are not able to be 'adjusted' for pitch, only volume?

PhilP
Steve at Fosworks and Andy at Micron both have stock of the new soundcards.

And yes, it is not possible to vary the pitch of recordings, only the volume.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Steve at Fosworks and Andy at Micron both have stock of the new soundcards.

And yes, it is not possible to vary the pitch of recordings, only the volume.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Thank you Peter..

PhilP.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Was thinking a little more about the ‘what whistles’ request. Going back to the pre sampled cards which I have one or a few. Perhaps as there are plenty of options in there if they were all replaced with truly sampled whistles of the type listed we would be getting somewhere. No doubt someones choice will not be there, but at least they will be true sounds.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve already got my loco sound cards in my steam outline locos so I won’t be able to take advantage of this development.
Might we see an enhanced diesel sound card one day?

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve already got my loco sound cards in my steam outline locos so I won’t be able to take advantage of this development.
Might we see an enhanced diesel sound card one day?
Chris,

If an enhanced diesel soundcard was to happen, what would you and others like to see in it?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
How is the newer version recognisable just by looking at it?
I just bought 3 very recently (Nov 2020) so what do I look for to see if they are the newer version?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
How is the newer version recognisable just by looking at it?
I just bought 3 very recently (Nov 2020) so what do I look for to see if they are the newer version?
Interesting question, I have just removed a very early card that had pots for adjusting things. Presumably this was a series 1, but yes how can you tell with the newer cards both Steam and Dismal. Size?

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The new soundcards have a black PCB. The previous soundcards which were produced from 2017 up until this month had a blue PCB. Before 2017 the PCB was green.

Upgrades are possible depending on the age and condition of the soundcard. Please email sales@mylocosound.com stating which PCB you have, the type of soundcard, when and where it was purchased if you are interested in an upgrade.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The new soundcards have a black PCB. The previous soundcards which were produced from 2017 up until this month had a blue PCB. Before 2017 the PCB was green.

Upgrades are possible depending on the age and condition of the soundcard. Please email sales@mylocosound.com stating which PCB you have, the type of soundcard, when and where it was purchased if you are interested in an upgrade.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Aha thanks Peter, looks like I have V1 (left) and V2 (right) see below. Perhaps for the future it may be worthwhile to give cards a Version Number as it would make identification easier. Updates between versions could be given a letter thus say you updated Version 3 (black base) to have more or revised features it could be labelled V3a and so on.

Can a V2 have sampled Whistles added and if so can it be done in Uk by Fosworks? If not have you thought of this as a possibility? Sending these cards back to Oz is a worrying and time greedy option.
BB54EE9B-8085-4FF6-AE92-BBBF494E9B22.jpeg47A06021-E238-4647-A43E-5DB8B2226648.jpeg