En France

Registered
27 Jul 2017
France
Best answers
Hello, I would like to introduce myself as I have a 1,000,000 questions ref. G scale. I have just moved to France and have enough space to create my first ever model railway. G scale happened by chance. I have a real passion for the tin plate 3 rail O gauge and was contemplating building a large layout using this scale. But on reflection with the trains and track being over 50 years old I didn't think it would stand up to the use I knew it was going to get. I have always looked at HO and even N gauge but never found them exciting enough to get involved. Then I read an article in one of the American magazines and it mentioned G scale. I have never looked at before as I have never had the space to do it justice, but now I have and here I am. I am hoping to have 80 meters of track inside joining to 300 meter outside. ( almost half way there with the track buying). My interest is in American rolling stock with stream and Diesel. I have just one LGB 0-4-0 loco and a small controller to try the track as it arrives. Building will start when I get enough knowledge and know roughly what I am doing. I must say its brilliant starting a new hobby from the ground up.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, there are plenty of folks on here who share your interest in American profile G; if you've got a million questions to get through then the sooner you start asking them the better! :rofl:

We'll try to answer as many of them as we can..... :)

Jon.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Hello and welcome. You are in the right place. Likewise I love the US stuff, mainly D&RGW and logging 3 ft narrow gauge prototypes. If you are going to want to go for the larger US outline stuff that runs on 45 mm gauge track, all scales and non LGB, now is probably a good time to start asking questions before you get too far into buying track. Sounds pretty impressive what you want to set up. Max.

Summer rail 2013 002.JPG

Couldn't resist.

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, yes, hello and welcome :clap::clap:

We have some US outline

PICT0004.JPG

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!
We do not guarantee to give sensible answers to all 1,000,000 questions..

You will see why as we go along! ;):giggle::giggle:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Building will start when I get enough knowledge and know roughly what I am doing. I must say its brilliant starting a new hobby from the ground up.

Welcome.

Best advice I can give, is start small, get it running, and completed. Then expand.
Quickest way to lose interest, and become disillusioned in this hobby, is spending too much time dreaming about a huge empire, or choosing construction techniques (like elevated gardens, and concrete track base) that take ages to get anything up and running, and even looking half finished. Initially, try to resist the 'charms' of DCC and battery power.... wait until you are up and running so that you can make an informed decision. Check out my 'Taita Gorge Railway' in G Scale Pictures when you next get a rainy day.... oops, France, never rained when I was there, when you get time.

dsc_0567-jpg.223946

..... this started out as bare lawn. I gather you are 'into' American, hence this shot. I model various prototypes, but never mix and match the stock. If it is the 4th of July, then everything non American stays in the shed. If I get a bout of Feldbahn fever, then that, and only that, is the antedote.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!
We do not guarantee to give sensible answers to all 1,000,000 questions..
;):giggle::giggle:

...... when you get to 1,000,001 that will change. :wait:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, mon ami....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

fridge

Registered
15 Jan 2012
Sussex
Best answers
Welcome.

Best advice I can give, is start small, get it running, and completed. Then expand.
Quickest way to lose interest, and become disillusioned in this hobby, is spending too much time dreaming about a huge empire, or choosing construction techniques (like elevated gardens, and concrete track base) that take ages to get anything up and running, and even looking half finished. Initially, try to resist the 'charms' of DCC and battery power.... wait until you are up and running so that you can make an informed decision. Check out my 'Taita Gorge Railway' in G Scale Pictures when you next get a rainy day.... oops, France, never rained when I was there, when you get time.

dsc_0567-jpg.223946

..... this started out as bare lawn. I gather you are 'into' American, hence this shot. I model various prototypes, but never mix and match the stock. If it is the 4th of July, then everything non American stays in the shed. If I get a bout of Feldbahn fever, then that, and only that, is the antedote.
If it's the 4th of July it's my birthday so I stay in the shed, linked to a wine box of Red Biddy, and the trains can do as they please!

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome.....I bet most of your questions will get answered.....and you will have great time along the way....enjoy.
Kev

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!!! I started a little over a year ago and have enjoyed it immensely so far!

I'm still looking for a French railbus... If you ever happen to find one...
Hm someone in France does a basic kit I believe, does need a chassis but a couple of USA or whatever power bogies would do the trick. Or you could hack one of these. Battery powered but quite adaptable to a better battery control system if you take the time and effort. Deltang as used by ge_rik

https://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/planning-railway.html

image.jpeg
Or you could make one of these utilising another Railcar Chassis if you can get one, wood would work! You do like working in wood.
image.jpeg
JonD

JGDURAND

Registered
28 Aug 2013
Chatellerault France
Best answers
Country flag
La bienvenue parmi nous

En France

Registered
27 Jul 2017
France
Best answers
Thanks every one for the kind replies. the delay in the Thanks is that I have to go to the next village and use their WiFi as ours is almost non existant. Any one remember dial up? This is worse.

Henri, I will look out for one and let you know if I find one.

Thanks again to you all for the replies.