Kevin Barker

Registered
5 Jun 2017
Black country
Best answers
Hi Everyone

New to garden railways, something i've wanted to do for years, moved to a bungalow few months ago now is the time,
What would be the best track to use (45mm) i would like to build my own loco's and stock, looking at the IP range so track need not be powered.

thanks in advance

Kev

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Kev - hope you enjoy spending some time here.....

The majority of people here use Code 332 track, most of which is interchangeable and connects well to other makes, so you can mix and match LGB, Piko, USA Trains, AMS/Accucraft, Trainline45 and several others.... but if you're looking at small battery trains such as the IP products, on unpowered track, then you might be OK with the lighter Code 250 rail like Peco, Tenmille etc.
I'm sure several others will jump in soon with their own advice and recommendations, just consider all the suggestions and then decide what is right for you - visiting a few local layouts, if you can, is always a very good way of getting inspired as well as deciding what routes you do and don't want to go down..... It might be worth mentioning what area you are in (nothing too specific, just a County or region), then you may get a few invites....?

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Kevin.

Code 332 is the norm as Jon mentioned although it is quite a large, and some would possibly say over scale.

But advantages are that is it virtually bomb proof, and you can stand on it without damaging the track. This might not be for you though if you like the IP products. Maybe a lighter code 250 rail profile

Like Jon also said, if we know where you are, you can visit others on the forum and get a few ideas....

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Kevin
Good advice above, all I'll add is obviously set track can just be laid on the garden but flex track like the Peco needs an anchor if you're using it for curves. There is some Peco set track too but your limited to one radius.
Have a look at these sites too for cheap easy to build kits.
http://www.hglw.co.uk/

https://www.swiftsixteen.co.uk/

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Kevin..

I would go from what you wan to achieve.. Do you wan to run standard gauge British? Narrow gauge? Continental??
Then look at what is available for your chosen theme.

Heretical, but it might just be that 32mm would suit you better.

Kevin Barker

Registered
5 Jun 2017
Black country
Best answers
Thanks for the advice, not bought anything yet still planning what to do,
very lucky, moved in Feb to Brownhills on the edge of the Black Country anyone who knows Chasewater Railway i live about 10 mins walk from the main station.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the advice, not bought anything yet still planning what to do,
very lucky, moved in Feb to Brownhills on the edge of the Black Country anyone who knows Chasewater Railway i live about 10 mins walk from the main station.

So have you been 'upstairs' at The Heaths station yet?
Come and see us on a Sunday..

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Kevin.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston