New Member NP G Scale

Larry Nast

Registered
12 Feb 2021
Green Bay, WI
Best answers
Hi I have been in modeling for over 50 years. Living in Wisconsin I built an HO layout with a CNW theme. It has been in Model Railroader. Twelve years ago we built a new home and I put in a garden RR. I did this so I could properly run passenger cars as 30 “ radius doesn’t cut it. My G scale has 12 foot radius curves. I chose to model after the NP, because I liked the Loewy scheme better than GN and I didn’t want more of CNW. I have a USA ABA F3 set with seven cars. At some twenty five feet in looks great on my 30 foot trestle. The area of the garden RR is larger than my house of 2000 sq. ft. 200 ft. of mainline track, a 30’ passing siding and a 30’ staging track with a “Y” to the mainline. Now that I have most of the plant, shrubs, trees, etc. in and somewhere between 20 and 30 ton of stone, I have been doing some modeling to keep me busy in the winter during this pandemic. I purchased 10 AristoCraft flatcars and am stripping, painting, and modeling them as best I can represent the 6600s and 6700s series. For the flatcars I did the artwork to replicate In G scale exactly as I saw in pics I also redid the bulkheads of the Aristo cars as they were not prototypical. I am a retired clergy.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Larry,
Welcome to the Forum!
Have a dig around, and you will find lots of interest.. Plus some terrible jokes!

All the best!
PhilP.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Larry. Seems like you've made a good start. Obviously we like pictures on here, so feel free to post some!

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
You are obviously a man with a plan! Welcome on board.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Larry....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Larry, be nice to see some pictures of your Garden exploits. Looking at the forum you will see that we are not shy about showing what we have done. A couple of links below to my efforts.

Larry Nast

Registered
12 Feb 2021
Green Bay, WI
Best answers
Per request here are a few pic of Garden RR. I will attach some of the NP flat cars that I have been working on a bit later. Can't wait for weather to improve in
Wisconsin.

Attachments

• DSCN5009.JPG
    DSCN5009.JPG
    653.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN3390.JPG
    DSCN3390.JPG
    1,012 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Per request here are a few pic of Garden RR. I will attach some of the NP flat cars that I have been working on a bit later. Can't wait for weather to improve in
Wisconsin.
Nice to have a natural country background to your line.

Larry Nast

Registered
12 Feb 2021
Green Bay, WI
Best answers
Nice to see nice broad curves.... a Big Boy would look nice there!

Greg
The curves are at least 12' radius. I wanted a garden RR so I could properly run passenger trains. My HO lalyout has 30" radius and normal passanger cars just don't look right on those curves. Thanks fo your reply. -- Larry

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Larry, I just bought the new USAT heavyweight cars, you could definitely run a prototype length train and they look great. (Also have the streamliner set)... love the look of passenger trains, from the era when service and appearance mattered!

Greg

Larry Nast

Registered
12 Feb 2021
Green Bay, WI
Best answers
Nice to have a natural country background to your line.
Attaching one more garden RR pic. Rose bed with Karl Forester grass on the north end. You will note the trestle in the backgound and the red stone in the foreground. I started the project 12 years ago with over 100 6x6s. Pulled them all out four years ago and replaced them with the poured blocks you see (beween 200-300). Orginally over 50 yds of mulch, now all removed and replaced with three kinds of stone about 25 ton.. I use crusher dust/stone for the ballast 3 inches deep This can be releveled and added to every spring covering the rails. Water/rain will causethe finds to harden between the ties. When dry just use a broom to clear stone beween the rails and shape the ballest outsides the rails and ties. Also attaching two pics of the eleven AristoCraft flat cars I recently purchased, stripped, painted and added decals and loads. I did the artwork for the decals accoding to NP photos and had decals made. If anyone you know would be modeling NP flat cars. I would be happy to freely share the art work. It could be resized for different scales. I'lpost some more pics in the future. Let's all stay on track. Greetings from Green Bay as snow starting to melt. Larry

Attachments

• DSCN5168.JPG
    DSCN5168.JPG
    446 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN5170.JPG
    DSCN5170.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200929_130625.jpg
    20200929_130625.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0