New battery locomotive for the CFR

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
The CFR has received a new battery powered radio controlled(2.4GHZ) locomotive. Built by Playmobil it will fill a gap in the locomotive roster.
image_zpsacaf94cf.jpg

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
The locomotive has working headlights and tail lights, horn and engine sounds, both tickover and operational.
image_zpsc5715da8.jpg

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It looks very smart, as does the rolling stock with it.

gep4

G scale garden railway & indoor layout
24 Oct 2009
South Staffs.
Best answers
Would love more details please, does it include the controller, is it rechargeable and does it include a charger, or are they replaceable standard batteries ?

Ideal for young grandson, and finally where can I purchase from , mail order perhaps.
Thanks in advance, look forward to info.

gep4

24 Oct 2009
South Staffs.
Best answers
Hi again. I have just answered my previous question. Found a good video and pictures of the engine and battery fittings on you tube.
Batteries 6 AA size fitted in engine. also PP3 9 volt in hand held controller. Have ordered the set from amazon £100 approx. including del. charge.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
They are not due for release in the UK until June. However as you have found they are readily available on Amazon for less than the suggested UK retail price.
I use rechargeable batteries which seem to give about 8 hours continuous use. The transmitter lasts for about 24 hours.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
casey jones snr said:
They are not due for release in the UK until June. However as you have found they are readily available on Amazon for less than the suggested UK retail price.
I use rechargeable batteries which seem to give about 8 hours continuous use. The transmitter lasts for about 24 hours.

Cracking buy! That loco does have a certain brutal charm. Great to get the small folk involved too.

gep4

24 Oct 2009
South Staffs.
Best answers
Hi again. thanks for the info. Can you advise what type of batteries and charger I should buy please. Did you mean just for the AA size or can re-chargeables be purchased for the PP3 9 volt as well, although as they are lasting longer I don't suppose this is so important.
Amazon had advised delivery was from 16th. April, but now could be early May. So maybe quite a few of us see this loco as a candidate for conversion. thanks again for your help.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I use rechargeable AA and 9 volt batteries and charger which I obtained from Maplins. I always charge the batteries overnight on a Friday and Saturday. The AA batteries will last right through a running session.

Amazon delivery dates are pretty flexible. We were quoted four weeks, it arrived from Germany in one week.

alec dawe

Railways, Cars, Wine!
11 Dec 2010
East Anglia, 32A Norwich.
Best answers
I'm damned if I can find it on Amazon.
Give us a clue!

halifax100

Registered
7 Apr 2013
Sweden
Best answers
Is it possible to drive at slow speed? Well suited for shunting?
...and are the couplings compatible with LGB?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

Casey's mate

Registered
25 Oct 2009
CFR, Rothley Station
Best answers
halifax100 said:
Is it possible to drive at slow speed? Well suited for shunting?
...and are the couplings compatible with LGB?

Yes, they have a good range of speeds. They will work fine for slow shunting and they can get up a good speed too! The couplings are the same style as LGB so compatibility wouldn't be an issue.

Here is a quick video I found on YouTube of one operating.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAlXowaNF6E
(Couple of slower shots at the end.)

Casey's mate

Registered
25 Oct 2009
CFR, Rothley Station
Best answers