In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Fellow G Enthusiast!

I use Aristo-Craft knuckle couplers. I know........ A lot of people use Kadee or prefer some other coupler like "O" scale that is closer to prototypical. Please use whatever coupler you choose. (I personally like the size of the MTH 1/32 couplers.)

I recently ran out of my stash of secondhand Aristo-Craft couplers and have been astonished by the price asked and occasionally paid for new OEM Aristo-Craft REA knuckle couplers. Last week I was ASTOUNDED that 5 pair (10 total) of NOS Aristo-Craft knuckle couplers sold for about $125 plus shipping on eVay!!!!! Crazy!

Bachmann has come to the rescue. I just bought a couple of their re-issued Bachmann Large Scale 1:29 Couplers, 6 Pair (12 total) Compatible with Aristo-Craft ITEM NO. 92427 for $36. The only downside (besides the excess plastic flash) is that I had to install the spring loaded detent (?) into the extension and secure each one with a little screw.

I ran into my only problem when assembling them because I just could not get the spring loaded detente Bachmann Aristo Coupler 1.jpgBachmann Aristo Coupler 2.jpgpiece into the extension. (I like G scale because I can see the parts and it is much easier for me to assemble them with my "mature" eyes.) Upon closer inspection I could see a little plastic molding flash that was restricting my efforts to load the piece that holds the spring. I removed the flash with my X-acto and it went right together.

These knuckle couplers work just like I expected. I applaud Bachmann for bringing out/re-issuing a part for which a market obviously exists.

Now if they would just re-issue the Dash 9 upgraded 3 axle motorblocks (Please, at a reasonable price!) and a few other repair parts. I have already taken advantage of the re-issued FA locomotive 2 axle blocks. Even though they are twice the price of the new USA Trains 2 axle motorblocks, I would rather use the FA block.

Enjoy your G scale trains as much as possible! AJ the Teacher

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Does the plastic seem the same? It was a tough, slippery type of nylon, hard and slightly flexible.

How does the locking mechanism work? Let us know if you get premature uncoupling.

These were issues before, and Kader made them for Aristo then, and Kader is making them for Bachmann now.

You will indeed see replacement motor blocks, just about the same time the Dash 9 is released, Kader has stated many times that they do not want to make parts as separate production runs, but during the manufacturer of the car or locomotive.

The only exceptions seemed to be track (not all made by Kader), rolling stock wheelsets (again theorized not by Kader since all metal), and it appeared that couplers were indeed separate runs (and they were made of a plastic that was not used in any other product)

Regards, Greg

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg,
Thanks for asking. The plastic seems to be identical to the plastic used before. The locking mechanism is the same. The ONLY difference that I can see is the addition of the letters "ART B" to the top of the piece that you screw to the truck. I guess this is to distinguish between REA/ Aristo-Craft original couplers and Bachmann 1:29 that are "Compatible with Aristocraft locomotives, rolling stock and Eggliners." I have not had any of these uncouple unintentionally in use. AJ the TeacherBachmann Aristo Coupler 3.jpgBachmann Aristo Coupler 4.jpg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the photo, from the look of that coupler, the molds look well worn for sure!

We know it's the same manufacturer, although the extra flash, you wonder if it's wear in the molds or if it's process related (injection time, pressure, cooling). Since they have not been made for what, 9 years, poor condition of the molds would not be surprising.

Greg

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the photo, from the look of that coupler, the molds look well worn for sure!

We know it's the same manufacturer, although the extra flash, you wonder if it's wear in the molds or if it's process related (injection time, pressure, cooling). Since they have not been made for what, 9 years, poor condition of the molds would not be surprising.

Greg
Hi Greg, any experience fitting a revo sound board in a bachmann forney??? Can't get lighting to work?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Are the
Hi Greg I fitted a diesel revo board and the lights work, so there's something wrong with the steam revo board I guess
Are the lights LED?
Is the polarity correct?

PhilP

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I’m confused. What has a “revo board” to do with this topic?

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh - I did wonder if you had some funky gizmo that lit up to show green for wagons couple ok and red for open couplings. I would find that sort of thing of interest but have no idea how to make it.