New 13x7 Indoor Live Steam Layout,Ready to secure Astroturf and G Scale Track

Rob1962

Full Steam Ahead..
Country flag
Almost finished with my non-scenic indoor Live Steam G/Guage & HO.I will adhere my Astroturf and lay down tracks.Could someone tell me the Exact Screws i need to go thru ties Astroturf and Hardwood planks.This one day will all be disassembled to another location because my table was a modular custom build.What I would like to know is what size brass screws/type. And placement for the 13x7 Indoor Live Steam Layout and also inside the G Gauge will be HO Oval inside that. If you could recommend the exact type/size that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

FullSteam Ahead..
 
Last edited:
Some photos would be great, Rob - not only because we'd all love to see how your layout build is progressing, but also understanding which screws you're asking about might allow for some more useful answers to your questions? Do you mean the size of screws best suited to securing the track to the baseboards? :)

Jon.
 
Almost finished with my non-scenic indoor Live Steam G/Guage & HO.I will adhere my Astroturf and lay down tracks.Could someone tell me the Exact Screws i need to go thru ties Astroturf and Hardwood planks.This one day will all be disassembled to another location because my table was a modular custom build.What I would like to know is what size brass screws/type. And placement for the 13x7 Indoor Live Steam Layout and also inside the G Gauge will be HO Oval inside that. If you could recommend the exact type/size that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

FullSteam Ahead..
 
Just a couple of little bits of advice, Rob - I understand that you're trying to get as large an oval of track onto your available baseboard width as you can, but I'd be concerned about running your track right up to very edge - if the worst should happen and a loco takes a tumble off the rails, it could prove expensive with a heavy and valuable live-steamer; also, don't forget that you need to leave some clearance at the back of the layout (especially if you're fitting a backscene) to cope with the overhangs of rolling stock as it comes in and out of the curves at each end - if you run your track too close to the back of the layout, you may find some stock (especially longer bogie items) will foul on your back-board.

I would leave at least several inches between the edge of the board and the edge of the rails, all around the circuit, if you possibly can!

Jon.

"All advice freely offered, and worth exactly what you paid for it..." :D
 
Back
Top Bottom