My latest 7/8ths 3D build

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
this is my latest Diema build. Fits in nicely with the other 2. All 3 need to be weathered.diema build3.jpgdiema build4.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Great job! This is a very good looking fleet.
These are 3D printed right? The surface finish and crispness of the details is really impressive. Can I ask what your process is to get to this finish? Design, Printing material/process and hand finishing. I’m getting more and more interested in the possibilities of 3D printing, but wary of the process to get to these excellent results!

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
James I do all the printing for the loco's on resin printers. It's really a lot of fun. My son got me started with it a couple years ago and it makes a great retirement hobby. The advancements in printers and resin are amazing. Getting nice smooth surfaces is all about how you position pieces in the printer. I sometimes make several adjustment until I get it to the best I can do. Although I make these items for myself and the members of a small group of 7/8ths guys I also started to offer prints on my etsy site. Not getting rich but offsets the cost of my R&D. As I said all for fun.

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the information, that's very helpful!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
That finish is remarkable, to say the least - especially around the louvres. How long did it take to print, and are the components self-coloured?

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
Tac 3 machines at about 8 hours each. No to color just the gray of the resin.

After waiting 3 months my Gmeinder name plates arrived.new badge.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Very fine! Congratumentations! But you have three printers? ALL resin type? Oy.

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
LOL. Tac, I actually have five resin printers 3 mid size and 2 small. Between my little print bussiness and my personal projects I manage to keep them pretty busy.
Isn't retirement great? LOL

Last edited:

Djjerme

Registered
11 Jul 2021
Oregon
Best answers
Country flag
I've been debating making the dip into Resin printing, what machines are you using? And do I need the "finishing" machine as well?

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
Djjerme I use an Epax x10, e10, x1, elegoo mars2P, and a elegoo saturn. No finishing machine (my opinion total waste of money). I think the best value on the market right now is still the elegoo saturn. My son (who got me started in this hobby) has in addition to the above a couple uniz ibee's and as of today the new Phrozen mega8. The ibee prints in his opinon best but is pretty expensive compared to the saturn. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference in the prints. It's truely a lot of fun. Of course this is all just my opion. Any advise I can help you with I am more than happy to share. Just keep in mind it's just my opion.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The Phrozen is only a little over $1k (although shipping and options might take you to $1,500 right?)

The review I read was pre-introduction, I assume your son loves his? Have you printed anything really big? Would think it would be great for diesels, having fewer sections to graft together.

Greg