Motor blocks for LGB 20750 E10 electric loco

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
If I've understood correctly, this loco was initially issued in 2013 with bogies using vertically-mounted motors, driving only one axle on each bogie. LGB quickly learned that this made the loco under-powered, so reverted to horizontally-mounted motors driving both axles on each bogie for all subsequent versions. To satisfy those that had bought the original version, for a short while, LGB offered pairs of the new style motor blocks so that the original versions could be upgraded.

Does anyone know what product number these replacement bogies were issued under? An unused pair have come into my possession, and I'd like to understand more about them, and particularly what they might be worth, MTS-line.de appear to be offering them at 112 EUR for a single bogie, but inclusive of the surrounding decorative frame . . .

1697829010573.png

Do the replacement motor blocks fit into the original decorative surrounds? Or did the pairs of motor blocks sold by LGB include decorative surrounds (which mine don't have).

Any advice gratefully received.

Best wishes

David

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If I've understood correctly, this loco was initially issued in 2013 with bogies using vertically-mounted motors, driving only one axle on each bogie. LGB quickly learned that this made the loco under-powered, so reverted to horizontally-mounted motors driving both axles on each bogie for all subsequent versions. To satisfy those that had bought the original version, for a short while, LGB offered pairs of the new style motor blocks so that the original versions could be upgraded.

Does anyone know what product number these replacement bogies were issued under? An unused pair have come into my possession, and I'd like to understand more about them, and particularly what they might be worth, MTS-line.de appear to be offering them at 112 EUR for a single bogie, but inclusive of the surrounding decorative frame . . .

View attachment 319972

Do the replacement motor blocks fit into the original decorative surrounds? Or did the pairs of motor blocks sold by LGB include decorative surrounds (which mine don't have).

Any advice gratefully received.

Best wishes

David
I have one of the original blocks, bought at a show for £45 thinking it would have gears connecting the 2 sets of wheels, not my finest day buying wise. Thoughts were for it to power a Railcar. Having only 1 powered axle rice pudding and not pulling of the skin comes to mind. Not sure if the side frames will be compatible, perhaps the pic below may help. I just wonder what on earth were LGB thinking building such a silly chassis?
IMG_7665.jpeg

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Not for the first time, asking a question on the forum has been quickly followed by a breakthrough (of sorts)!

A chance spot on German eBay gave me the product number (E244653), which led me to this . . .

1697897824716.png
The list of inclusions at the end suggests that the side frames on the original loco are reused with the new motor blocks.

Then I found this . . .

1697898428637.png1697898467940.png

. . . which suggests the new motor blocks came with "wheel set covers", which is what I presume these are . . .

1697899045058.png

So two steps forward, one step back.

So far, I haven't been able to find online the instructions that were included with E244653. Does anyone have a copy?

Cheers

David