"ML-Train" Brand Track - Thoughts/Reviews?

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,
Model-land.de sells it and I'm presuming it is their own brand. They seem to have similar geometry to LGB for between 10-20% cheaper. I was wondering if anyone has used/purchased ML-Train track before and what their thoughts were?
Curtis

AlanL

Registered
1 Mar 2016
Northampton
Best answers
Country flag
I was curious about the topic of your thread. It only makes sense if you click in your link. If the thread title was 'Can you recommend a supplier of track' you may have got more replies.

So I have used many metres of this flexible track and can recommend it. The only caveat is that it is supplied with screw type connectors, not fishplate connectors favoured by some. Personally, I prefer the screw connectors, They make good electrical connections and if you need to lift the track or point/switch it is very easy to do. I believe that it is Trainline 45 track.

I do have a trainline 45 point and is excellent except that it has a live frog powered by a reed switch. Excellent idea unless you drive a loco against the set direction which fuses the reed switch.

There was a discussion about these points here Alternatives to Train-line45 for R2 points - G Scale Central

As you are in Germany, it is sensible to use them, save some Euro's.

If you want more suggestions, try using a better title, everybody on here will give you their ideas, some may be serious!

Alan

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If you want more suggestions, try using a better title, everybody on here will give you their ideas, some may be serious!
Alan
Maybe Curtis' first language is NOT English, and therefore does not understand some of the nuances of the language, in which case his English is a dam sight better than my German (and maybe my English).

AlanL

Registered
1 Mar 2016
Northampton
Best answers
Country flag
Very good point Jimmy I'll take that. I must admit that google translate is brilliant, needed it when buying that track.
Shame that google translate doesn't work with LGB manuals :sweating:
Alan

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
??

Most of the text in the LGB manuals is selectable, copy and paste to translate.

I have to do this with my Zimo manuals, since the translations usually lag by 6 months to a year.

Are you not able to select text in LGB manuals? I just tried one for part number 10040 and it worked.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly, he means the paper copy?

But, a bit of lateral-thinking, and a download later.. :)

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
I was curious about the topic of your thread. It only makes sense if you click in your link. If the thread title was 'Can you recommend a supplier of track' you may have got more replies.

So I have used many metres of this flexible track and can recommend it. The only caveat is that it is supplied with screw type connectors, not fishplate connectors favoured by some. Personally, I prefer the screw connectors, They make good electrical connections and if you need to lift the track or point/switch it is very easy to do. I believe that it is Trainline 45 track.

I do have a trainline 45 point and is excellent except that it has a live frog powered by a reed switch. Excellent idea unless you drive a loco against the set direction which fuses the reed switch.

There was a discussion about these points here Alternatives to Train-line45 for R2 points - G Scale Central

As you are in Germany, it is sensible to use them, save some Euro's.

Alan

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Alan. That's what I was looking for. I'm happy with the idea of screw type connectors and I've read a lot of positive comments about their endurance. Glad to know there is positive experience with the track.

I've also amended the title - you're correct, upon re-read it wasn't clear!

JimmyB JimmyB - thanks for that. I'm a Brit abroad but Alan was correct in that my title wasn't very clear. Good to remember for next time!

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Curtis. I have 3 of their points, two are R5 and one R3. I am pleased with all three, especially the larger radius. I have Peco G45, LGB, Trainline 45 and Piko points. Modell Land are as good as all of them. I liked the price even with the cost of postage to the UK. I have added a photo so can see one of the large radius points. My line is DCC.45555F8C-B1F7-4873-BD2D-8832A2314B97.jpeg

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Curtis. Not sure I am really qualified to give a review. In my experience LGB is best but very expensive. I have a few Piko medium radius and they have been completely reliable with no derailments. I think my least favourite are Trainline 45 although the Modell Land look like they are made by Trainline. I bought the Modell Land because they were the cheapest large radius points I could find. One of the Modell Land points is on a fast part of my Railway and I have Never had a problem with derailments. I generally use fishplates but I think the Modell Land screwed joiners work well. All the different makes of G scale track are fully compatable. I started off with Peco G 45 but prefer the higher track profile of LGB track. There is also the problem of pick up skates shorting on Peco points. I run big heavy engines such as the LGB Vik, OBB 2095 and the Rhb GE4/4 and there are no problems on the points with any of them. Hope this helps. Hope all is well with you in Australia.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Curtis. Not sure I am really qualified to give a review. In my experience LGB is best but very expensive. I have a few Piko medium radius and they have been completely reliable with no derailments. I think my least favourite are Trainline 45 although the Modell Land look like they are made by Trainline. I bought the Modell Land because they were the cheapest large radius points I could find. One of the Modell Land points is on a fast part of my Railway and I have Never had a problem with derailments. I generally use fishplates but I think the Modell Land screwed joiners work well. All the different makes of G scale track are fully compatable. I started off with Peco G 45 but prefer the higher track profile of LGB track. There is also the problem of pick up skates shorting on Peco points. I run big heavy engines such as the LGB Vik, OBB 2095 and the Rhb GE4/4 and there are no problems on the points with any of them. Hope this helps. Hope all is well with you in Australia.
Pickup skate shorting out is a well known issue with Peco points and can be present in both LGB and TrainLine points, peversly with TL points the worst offenders are TL Locomotives! All can be sorted by gentle bending of the sliders, upwards a little to the outside generally sorts the issue. I find it best to remove the sliders before attempting this, doing it in a vice with some pliers.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
MaybachMD MaybachMD , I'm going to give them a try. Thanks for the input.

We recently moved into a new place (still in Berlin) and it's going to be a few years until we have a real garden. However, we do now have a nice terrace which I think we can put to good use. Some room there for a load of R3s and some 900mm lengths. It's all very rounded-rectangle at the moment - I'm sure we can improve it.

IMG_3393.jpegIMG_3394.jpeg

IMG_3393.jpegIMG_3394.jpeg

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Curtis. That looks ideal. Great level base to build on. Enough room for some interest. you can recover everything you use when you move. Hopefully things are good in Berlin. Easy reach of a lot of inspiration. No postage issues in Berlin either.

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Pickup skate shorting out is a well known issue with Peco points and can be present in both LGB and TrainLine points, peversly with TL points the worst offenders are TL Locomotives! All can be sorted by gentle bending of the sliders, upwards a little to the outside generally sorts the issue. I find it best to remove the sliders before attempting this, doing it in a vice with some pliers.
Good suggestion. I used to take the skates off but leave them on now. The other tip I was given was to put varnish on the rails by the frog. As long as I do this regularly it generally works. The other thing I do is go over the points quickly and never stop on them. I have not had the same problem with Trainline points.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
At least you can now run some trains, good time to cut your teeth with DCC setup if that is where you are / intend to go and much testing.