Miniature Railway

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Right then,
On the old forum I started of a thread about my plan to build a Gn9 (n gauge track) miniature railway. I looked at plans of real 10 and a quarter inch gauge railways and came up with these coaches.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
The logical next step was aloco motive. After looking round my local model shop I came home with two ideas and the bodies to cut up. First was a british pairing of an old Lima tank and an ivatt tender. Next was an Ameican porter and tender.

I planned to set to work on the lima tank first, the loco would be free wheeling and there would be a katp chassis in the tender.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
It slowly dawned on me that getting hold of all the N gauge chassis I would need was going to be very hard. So, I changed to using OO gauge. First I finshed the ivatt tender.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Pleased with how that turned out I fished out an old Hornby 0-4-0 chassis and set to work cutting it to size. I would then attach a rear bogie using a mechanism made from old Lego.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Compared to the tank loco the (Ivatt) driving tender was tiny and I wasen't able to fit batterys inside of it. The solution was to build a larger tender for the tank. I took a wagon chassis from an earlier Gn15 attempt and added some bigger wheels. I attached the footplate and now I need to build the rest of the body for the seat and coal storage.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Thats as far as I have gotten now. I am planning to make a simple curcuit using a potentiometre to control the locos speed.

Any comments will be appriciated :)