Merry Christmas!!! Mobile Gantry Crane Now Operational...Step-by-step Pictorial...

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
Merry Christmas!!!

Err, well, it seems like Christmas morning to me because my long-endeavored efforts are finally prospering...

The Mobile Gantry was created by taking a 1970s Tonka Truck and removing the large rotating crane off it. The Crane is about 1/16th scale and this is perfect size for G (imho). The crane sits on Stanley Shelving brackets and LGB 4-axle bogies. Two parallel tracks allow the Gantry to roll and one spur track is centered underneath it. It will look awesome when I collect enough LGB station plates to cover all the rails.

Here we go...

coaltrainarrives.jpg

Goods train arrives underneath the Elevated Coal bins. There will be another long siding on the mainline here, for double track loading. The Bins were scratch built with Stanley brackets and styrene. I found that a Coffee Thermos top provided the perfect industrial-looking closure , so I glued it upside down underneath the coal bins. They really drop coal into the gons! Sorry, my coal hasn't arrived in the mail yet--I really wanted to have coal loads for this set of pix!

shunterdepartssiding.jpg

Back in the Yard, the KOF shunter is departing from its spur track underneath the gantry.

shunterreversestowardcr.jpg

Shunter reverses and moves toward Gantry on Gantry track.

shuntercouplestocrane.jpg

Shunter automatically couples to Gantry bogie.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Shunter now moves forward smoothly and slowly, pulling the Gantry tower with Crane!

cranelinesupwithcoalbin.jpg

Once positioned, The Crane can operate and drop coal into the Bins.

Once the load is delivered, Shunter now slowly PUSHES the Gantry back to starting point.

Shunter changes direction, and automatically uncouples from the Gantry. The work is done for now! Time to climb up into the Signal Hut and have a warm cup of Vienna Roast by the window...

There will be some form of wood coal load area and V-dump wagons on the left side of the Elevated bin so the Scoop can get the loads for the bins...Also, there can be an AUTOMATED Scoop line--from the same LGB throttle I use to run the trains! Simply take a LGB ball bearing wheelset , which has pick up wires, and attach it to one of my Gantry bogies--run the wires into the crane housing, install a Stainz Motor block in there with a pulley on the axle instead of wheelsets (gearing and fussing over another motor would be pointless to me), and wala! When power goes to the spur track (provided the locos have to be "parked" for this to work!) the Scoop Line goes up and down from my same analog throttle!

Cheers!