Maximum length of a small 9g servo wire

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, anyone experimented & tried running servos on cat5 over a long distance, & if so, what was achieved. I can double up on cores to help. There seems to be the usual conflicted of opinions out there. It's for points on my RC battery set up. Thanks

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have run 25 feet using Cat5e fixed (single cores) cable.

The cable was LSOH (as I had lots of 'ends') and was run in buried garden hose.
Connectors, and final wiring, were enclosed where possible. - To protect from UV.

If I wanted to run any further, or multiple signals, then I would consider using balanced line-drivers.

It was a 'proof of concept'. But did work.
The final solution was a signal box (appropriate) was used to house a receiver, battery, solar charger.
The receiver, servos, etc. were turned off between sessions. The solar / battery system was 'always on'.

PhilP

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Phil, It would be around 50-60 feet. But on my travel's i see they do a cat5-6 extender, so will look into these. "Up to 30 metres & 4 servos"
I get the impression the power is ok, but the signal can get interfered with & servos not stopping where you like them to.
servo extender.jpg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would also suggest using so-called 'waterproof' servos, rather than the cheap knock-offs..

PhilP

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
This is how I did my servo controlled points
The longest power run is about 10 metres but longer ones are planned for the future.
I am using old telephone cable (4 core solid copper) for the power but put my controllers near the points.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Think i am better off just running 12v to the points & having the servos controlled locally as per drawing.

single-points.JPG

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Or,
If you run a 3/4 pair cable, you could have a bus for the control, and have addressable devices to control signals and points..

PhilP

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
If you already have a DCC system you could run a power bus from it and use something like an ESU Switchpilot Servo in your waterproof container/building to control 8 servos switches. It will drastically simplify the configuration and wiring in your example, gives you wireless control of the points, and can also be automated through the central station and PC. The extension relay modules would allow you to install the Red/Green LEDs as well.

I use these units on my and club's layout to control loco shed doors.

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Phil, It would be around 50-60 feet. But on my travel's i see they do a cat5-6 extender, so will look into these. "Up to 30 metres & 4 servos"
I get the impression the power is ok, but the signal can get interfered with & servos not stopping where you like them to.
View attachment 323376
Thanks for the info on these - not seen them before.

I have bought a couple to reverse engineer. I have a rough understanding of how it works but I want to know - lets see how they do it!

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I get the impression the power is ok,
you want to be sure that the power is oke.
Take or borrow a decent multi meter, and make sure there is NO voltage loss.
Calculate also the wire resistance after measuring it, the Calvin method will be best suited for this.

If both are in correct order and your signal is hertz based (bit out of my league here) try to amp it up.
A bit faster crystal sould do the trick, or a slightly higher v
Both will make sure that the signal is getting there stronger and quicker.

You could also try a heavier opamp or a bigger capacity condensator in the transmitting device (knowledge of 40 years ago! get a second opinion)

With best regards Igor

ps for calculating your cables use this one:

set temp to 40c and v drop to 0.5%

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
1706948177512.png

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
On the diagram the 2 boards "Wifi & servo throw" have 2 green wires that link a relay to a push test button. I had a spare drum of cat5 with about 90m & connected via this cat5. Hay presto it worked. So i am assuming this is not a voltage switch, but a negative switch, as i dont think 5v would of reached 90m. But hayho, i got a servo to work at 90met. "How long will it last?" lol
single-points.JPG

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
How long will it last?
Depends if it has power on it 24/7 and gets damp..

I have had things die in months. - Copper tracks migrated, due to constant power and damp.
There again, had a home-brew solar light setup, which lasted six and a half years. - Same cells, wire-rot in the end.

PhilP

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
How long will it last?
Depends if it has power on it 24/7 and gets damp..

I have had things die in months. - Copper tracks migrated, due to constant power and damp.
There again, had a home-brew solar light setup, which lasted six and a half years. - Same cells, wire-rot in the end.

PhilP
Its going to be well protected, but i know what you mean. The Tupperware boxes i have found better than a lot of electrical boxes & this will have a Kippo shed covering the box. I also pop one or two Silica gel sachets in the box & found them to be very good. "The damp absorbers that look like tea bags"