Massoth XLS interior light install

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I will be fitting interior lights to the cabs of two LGB #2095 Euro diesels. The Massoth decoder has a separate 'interior' light connection. As my diesels have two cabs, obviously, I do not wish both cabs to be illuminated at the same time. Does the interior light connection, on the decoder, respond to loco 'direction' or is the connection 'live' any time the headlights are switched 'on', irrespective of selected direction?

I could simply wire the earth return of the respective headlights and interior light, so that the interior light only illuminated for the chosen direction, but feel the interior light connection on the decoder must have a purpose, other than providing more current draw for the headlights by placing the interior light on another earth return point.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Tim excuse me for being perdantic but wouldnt the cab lights be off when loco is moving............

Tony

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Tony,
of cause, technically, you are 100% correct, but try telling LGB and most other manufacturers that 'small' technicality. I like a cab interior illuminated and apart from 'wasting' a function button on a separate cab interior light, having the cab light respond to loco direction is preferable. I like to limit functions to the available key pad numerals, rather than having to select 'higher function' numerals not on the immediate keypad.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
What i ment to say was working cab lights great idea why not........ i was thinking can you make then come on when loco stops it would be different and authentic.......... ive often seen the rear cab lights of 66s left on at work (maybe by mistake) while running around to the other end of a container train

Tony

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Tim Brien said:
I will be fitting interior lights to the cabs of two LGB #2095 Euro diesels. The Massoth decoder has a separate 'interior' light connection. As my diesels have two cabs, obviously, I do not wish both cabs to be illuminated at the same time. Does the interior light connection, on the decoder, respond to loco 'direction' or is the connection 'live' any time the headlights are switched 'on', irrespective of selected direction?

I could simply wire the earth return of the respective headlights and interior light, so that the interior light only illuminated for the chosen direction, but feel the interior light connection on the decoder must have a purpose, other than providing more current draw for the headlights by placing the interior light on another earth return point.

Tim - the "interior light" (LI-I) terminal is designed for single-cab locos, so that the cab lights (or internal lights in things like a railbus) are on whenever the light function is switched on, irrespective of direction of travel. So if you want your new cab lights to be direction-dependant you will have to connect them to the same terminals as the running lights at each end (the LI-V and LI-H terminals).

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I totally agree with Jon. Just what I was about to say!
I can't see a way of then switching independantly of the headlights unless you get complicated with additional switches/relays powered by the LI-I terminal.