Massoth Scissor Pantograph Drive Install

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone installed the Massoth 8440022 drives for scissor pantographs in LGB 2x40 crocodiles? I’d like to know how the drives were positioned on the roof taking the roof details that protrude into account.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
There are clear instructions in the manual for the drives complete with photos for installation in the 2x40 crocodiles and 2x45 box cabs. There is also a full size pattern for laying out the slots that need to be cut in the roof. The manual used to be downloadable from the Massoth website and I intended to include a link but the latest Massoth website "update" appears to have eliminated all the links to any of their manuals.:mad: I checked both the English and German versions of the website. Probably some bean counters better ideao_O but a terrible move on the part of Massoth. Nobody I know would buy anything DCC related costing more than a few bucks without being able to view the manuals before hand.
I've got a copy. PM me.

Last edited:

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Shed - the link you gave does not work for me. All I get is a description of the drive with no link to the manual that used to be there.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
There are clear instructions in the manual for the drives complete with photos for installation in the 2x40 crocodiles and 2x45 box cabs. There is also a full size pattern for laying out the slots that need to be cut in the roof. The manual used to be downloadable from the Massoth website and I intended to include a link but the latest Massoth website "update" appears to have eliminated all the links to any of their manuals.:mad: I checked both the English and German versions of the website. Probably some bean counters better ideao_O but a terrible move on the part of Massoth. Nobody I know would buy anything DCC related costing more than a few bucks without being able to view the manuals before hand.
I've got a copy. PM me.
Thanks Phil, I have the manual that came with the drives, but what it doesn’t explain is that the levers actually go in the cab while the drives are in the engine compartment and you need to cut out the wall between the 2. You also can’t mount the drives directly to the roof because of the roof details, so I was looking to see what people had done for these 2 issues.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Shed - the link you gave does not work for me. All I get is a description of the drive with no link to the manual that used to be there.
It appears to be an issue with my browser (settings?) and the Massoth site. What comes up is a separate overlying page with the multiple repeated descriptions that are under the "Description" tab. Clicking off the page closes it and takes me back to the original Massoth page..

You also can’t mount the drives directly to the roof because of the roof details,
Agree, after a closer look the Croc roof in the manual photos appears to be the latest rendition. It has mounting locations on the underside of the roof for the drives. Probably has the slots molded in too. The newest roof may be available as a repair part through Trainli or Onlytrains. The best option my be to mount the drives with thin foam centered double-stick tape like those available from 3M.

Last edited: