Massoth Pulse Smoke Generator Wiring

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Hi all my pulse generator has stopped pulsing!
A quick lift of the lid revealed the +6.5 volt wire from the decoder has somehow broken off.
It isn't obvious where it was connected and I don't want to guess, so does anyone know where it should go on the circuit board?
Cheers in advance
Colin

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Can you post a photo of the circuit board? Might help someone diagnose where the wire should go?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If you have a multimeter, you could try measuring for the 6.5 volts?

You will need to put the negative (black) lead on the point of the pcb where the return wire is soldered, or the terminal then just 'scope' about until you find a terminal or blob of solder with the 6.5 volts on it.

Chances are that, as it's a smoke generator which draws a lot of current, it'll be one of the bigger solder blobs on a wider copper track....

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Cheers for the advise, the voltage is on the broken off wire unfortunately!
The unit is still smoking but not pulsing. The broken wire will only reach just onto the circuit board where all the pads already have wires soldered to them so I'm guessing it piggy backs onto one of these.
Colin

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
shropshire lad said:
Cheers for the advise, the voltage is on the broken off wire unfortunately!
The unit is still smoking but not pulsing. The broken wire will only reach just onto the circuit board where all the pads already have wires soldered to them so I'm guessing it piggy backs onto one of these.
Colin
I guess that could be right Colin?

How many pads are on the smoke unit? One of these will be the return so that can be eliminated quickly, leaving one less?

Also I'm not familiar with this unit, but is there a chance that the loose wire was connected to the metal work of the smoke generator rather than the pads?

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
I've got 8 pads which are, +19 and return for the heating element, 4 for the Susi interface and 2 which are the Ground and Clock that go with the +6.5v wire which has broken.
Colin

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
shropshire lad said:
I've got 8 pads which are, +19 and return for the heating element, 4 for the Susi interface and 2 which are the Ground and Clock that go with the +6.5v wire which has broken.
Colin
Quite possibly piggy backed onto the 'clock' pad then?
I would try and google the techical manual for your smoke generator and double check first before you solder it back on though....

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I will try and open up one of my "unused" units and take a picture.

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Thanks for your all help Gizzy.
That would be great Mark,I've checked out the online manuals and they are the same as I already have.
Colin

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Here we go...

f8f4e518f9684af989b66ee5d42950c9.jpg

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Thanks for that Mark. Unfortunately mine is the 19v version so the circuit board is different. Might be a good excuse to buy another one :D
Cheers Colin

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
It is a 19v unit - may be one of the first generation.

I would suggesting taking a pic of your board and sending it to Massoth asking them to tell you which pad the wire belongs, they may suggest you send it back to them for repair.