Massoth Light Bar with external Power Cap

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has added an external capacitor (not a Massoth power cap) to the current version of their digital light bar? The manual says it needs to have an electrical strength of at least 35v. I've just tried adding a 35v 3300uf cap to the connects as per the manual and all I get is weird flashing/strobing of the lights... Remove the capacitor and all returns to normal. Wanted to try this on the light bar before I added a cap to the 8 function mini decoder in my other coaches.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. I've just tried a 220uf cap and get the same result :(

I'm looking at page 7 of this manual which only mentions the voltage, but says it can be done without any additional electronics...

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Are you *sure* you have correct polarity, and connection points?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
yep, my first question too in the first response to him :)

Looks pretty simple... maybe you should take the cap, disconnect it... charge it with a battery and see if it holds a charge.

Stay under 35v! Wear eye protection! (don't ask me how I know this)

Greg

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
The more I'm thinking about it, would it make more sense for the cap to be on the Dec+ and Dec- connections like if you were using a Massoth power cap unit? I've not seen the Elko+ connection on any other decoder before.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
It's hard to see what the Elko+ pad is hooked to:
massoth-lichtleiste-2-1024x768.jpg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The more I'm thinking about it, would it make more sense for the cap to be on the Dec+ and Dec- connections like if you were using a Massoth power cap unit? I've not seen the Elko+ connection on any other decoder before.

You could call or email Massoth?

I know Peter is no longer there, but I have heard good reports of support being a lot faster than in the past.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
Thank you! This is relevant to me as well. What about slapping a small resistor or choke on it to limit inrush current, with a diode t'other way for output?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Any update Andy? - Original Poster..

One other thought...................
There are many 'effects' on the lighting options in the latest decoders.. None of these are turned on, I suppose?